Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jennifer Garner as Miss Marple???

This is one of the things that American corporations can do because they are so clueless.
The charm and value of the character came from the fact that shes is and old woman whose logic and wisdom came as a surprise to the bad guys.

Why pick Ms. Garner to play and old wise woman? Because the execs have come up with a novel idea that the books were all wrong, what we need is a young energetic woman for today's masses!

I can see them doing the Steven Hawkings story and turning him into Ironman next.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Maybe it's an origin story? I haven't read Miss Marple. In fact, I think And Then There Were None is the only Agatha Christie story I have read. Maybe this is the story of Miss Marple when she was learning how to be the Miss Marple of the books? I'm thinking like Ridley Scott's most recent Robin Hood. Not exactly a good idea, telling the story nobody cares about, and ending at the point you'd have preferred to start, but it does happen.

Maybe it's an origin story? I haven't read Miss Marple. In fact, I think And Then There Were None is the only Agatha Christie story I have read. Maybe this is the story of Miss Marple when she was learning how to be the Miss Marple of the books? I'm thinking like Ridley Scott's most recent Robin Hood. Not exactly a good idea, telling the story nobody cares about, and ending at the point you'd have preferred to start, but it does happen.

It could be a story with a ton of flashbacks to Miss Marple as a younger woman and creative makeup work for the old parts. The origin theme made me think of the "How she got her super powers" type origin.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This has to be some sort of joke. Either that or Disney has topped itself for vulgarization of a classic. Jennifer Garner will be a "re-imagined" Miss Marple, a hot 30 something American. Really, how idiotic.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...s-Miss-Marple-Is-this-an-elaborate-ruse.html#
To TRULY top themselves for vulgarizing a classic, Miss Marple will be a single Mother working as a defense attorney and moonlighting as a pole dancer in a seedy LA airport bar. And you THOUGHT Disney had vulgar cornered... I can't wait.

Later

I gotta go wash my hands after typing that...

Last edited:
To TRULY top themselves for vulgarizing a classic, Miss Marple will be a single Mother working as a defense attorney and moonlighting as a pole dancer in a seedy LA airport bar. And you THOUGHT Disney had vulgar cornered... I can't wait. Later I gotta go wash my hands after typing that...

They are currently thinking that to make it contemperary with social conscious views so add to that list she should be possibly a handicapped, minority, lesbian recently out out after of an abusive marrige with a religeous male husband plus she just found out she is HIV positive?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They are currently thinking that to make it contemperary with social conscious views so add to that list she should be possibly a handicapped, minority, lesbian recently out out after of an abusive marrige with a religeous male husband plus she just found out she is HIV positive?

Boy John, you got me beat by quite a ways. I though all of you Hollywood writers lived IN Hollywood not Covina?

Later

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
This is a travesty. They remade The Women (boo), and now they want to remake Miss Marple (loud boo).

The only Miss Marples worth their salt were Margaret Rutherford and Joan Hickson.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Agatha Christie herself said she thought Joan Hickson would make the definitive Miss Marple. The two recent BBC ones both have too much cutesy-ness. Hickson was perfect, dry as a bone, sharp as a razor.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
When you change something that much is it really the same thing anymore? And does Miss Marple really have that much pull as a character that it's a selling point? Not to the Garner demographic I bet. Why not just call it "Detective Chick", it would probably get more guys into the theater anyway. Or better yet just reboot "PoliceWoman". It just doesn't make any sense to the core of the character.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Can you imagine the studio pitching the idea to Garner.

Exec: "like - in the books and stuff the woman is like really old. But we thought we'd - like make her "now". So - like - she's you. Fun, sexy, tough, and action packed. Think Electra meets Bridget Jones Diary. But - like - you won't need to talk weird... Like

Garner: sounds great! I'll do it!

In the words of Steve McCroskey in Airplane (Flying High in Australia) "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24