Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jewelry boxes

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Do any of you ladies have a vintage jewellery box or case? I am laying MASSIVE hints to my partner in this direction as I desperately want one for christmas. I have my heart set on something Georgian maybe as they have lots of drawers in but I am looking for ideas.
I don't think I have ever seen a 50's or 40's one though, does anyone have anything they can show I'd love to see where you keep your treasures.....

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Mine is not vintage, but about 15 years ago, for Christmas my husband bought me one from Bombay Company that looks like a small chest of drawers. It is very beautiful and well made (it actually seems better made than some furniture I own:eek: )

crystalface

One of the Regulars
RetroMom said:
Mine is not vintage, but about 15 years ago, for Christmas my husband bought me one from Bombay Company that looks like a small chest of drawers. It is very beautiful and well made (it actually seems better made than some furniture I own:eek: )
Bombay stuff is gooood. :eek:fftopic:

I would love a vintage (or vintage looking) jewelry box. That and a Louis Vitton trunk. Guess I'll have to ask Santa ;)

crystalface

One of the Regulars
jewelry%20box3.jpg

From google image search. This is circa 1940's-50's.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
crystalface said:
jewelry%20box3.jpg

From google image search. This is circa 1940's-50's.

That's lovely, I need something with drawers in like that. I saw a really old one a little like that in an auction this summer but I couldn't afford it at the time:(.
I will have to keep searching I will check out Bombay too!

Faye Valentine

I have one from the 1940s. Its a Japanese one with black laquered painting. It has a beautiful painting of a geisha in the inside mirror but the little dancing figure is missing. It opens with a key and plays music when it's open. Sadly, I tried to clean the mirror one time and the beautiful painting inside was ruined. The geisha is still there tho...[huh]

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
So far I have two jewelry boxes. Though, my stash of ever increasing jewelry is needing me to make a purchase for something a bit bigger! I desperately need something with drawers, the ones I have, they just don't hold a lot.

olive bleu

One Too Many
i wish icould post a pic of mine. It is absolutely horrid!!( i really need to get a digital camera) For the past year I have had all my jewellry stuffed into this over-the-door hanging thing with plastic pockets that i inherited from my mother-in-law when she passed away. I honestly can't remember what it was in before, it must have been all over my dresser! This thing is hanging over my closet door which is permantly propped open as i cannot shut it, and the idea is that you are supposed to organize your jewellry in it but i can never find 2 earrings the same in any of these pockets and I also have strings of beads slung over my closet door as well. I have a couple of little trinket boxes on my dresser that i try to keep special pieces in but i never really really know where anything is. what a nightmare..I need help!!

olive bleu

One Too Many
I just spent 15 minutes looking for this thread ( knowing there was one somewhere) and see that I was the last one to post here almost 2 years ago!:)
I still would love to see some pictures if anyone has some lovely jewelry boxes.I really need to buy one but it is one of those things that I am holding out on til i find "the one". I really am trying to not buy anymore jewelry until i do, as I am going to starting getting things broken.

I would like to find one made from lucite , but i have not had any luck.I have only been able to find small presentation boxes.Any suggestions?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I use the miniature Lane chest I got when I graduated from high school -- a nice little cedar wood box that looks exactly like a peewee version of the standard Lane hope chest. Local Lane dealers used to hand these out to graduating girls as a way of enticing them in to look at the full-size line, but the idea died out in the '80s, I think.

These turn up at yard sales and flea markets all the time, and they're really quite attractive.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
How nice this topic came up, I have been stalking ebay for the past month to see what vintage different styles of jewelry chests are out there. I have my mother's old buxton jewelry chest but this modern Reed & Barton chest has caught my eye recently:

http://www.ross-simons.com/products/522139.html

Also, I think MELE seems to have quite nice selection old & new. I only need more jewelry to fill them!

P

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Hmmm how old do you consider to be vintage? I still have my pink jewellry box from when i was a kid!!! And right now i have most of my 80's jewellry in it.. Going to have to clean up and find my old, wind up, watchers.. I know there are a few around here somewhere....

Lilibet

New in Town
I used an antique Japanese sewing box for a long time, but it suffered a traumatic fall and the drawers don't open well anymore. Now I keep it in a few different places -- brooches and earrings in a contemporary box with velvet-lined drawers, necklaces and bracelets in divided trays in my dresser, and the good stuff in pouches hidden away.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
AllaboutEve said:
I don't think I have ever seen a 50's or 40's one though, does anyone have anything they can show I'd love to see where you keep your treasures.....

I haven't ever seen one either. I've not been looking for long, but I sure could use a nice vintage jewelry box.

I'm guessing that many of the bedroom vanities of the period had a top drawer that was sectioned off to hold jewelry. The drawer of my 30s vanity is done this way, and the top drawer of the matching highboy also has a small tray with a lid for jewelry (or cufflinks, as this would be the man's piece).

Sunny

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I use the miniature Lane chest I got when I graduated from high school -- a nice little cedar wood box that looks exactly like a peewee version of the standard Lane hope chest. Local Lane dealers used to hand these out to graduating girls as a way of enticing them in to look at the full-size line, but the idea died out in the '80s, I think.

These turn up at yard sales and flea markets all the time, and they're really quite attractive.

My mother has one of those, and she graduated in 1976. She uses it for keepsakes.

I have a vintage jewelry box; I guess it dates from the 1950s, maybe 1960s. I ended up with it from the Kansas farm where my great-grandmother lived until she died, but I was maybe 7 at the time (around 1990) so I don't remember any other clues to date it. It's really quite ordinary, but good. Thin marbled-type pale yellow imitation leather over heavy cardboard or light wood. Spring latch on the front with a keyhole. Top lifts up and raises up a sectioned tray inside. Tray has four sections, with a row for rings in the middle. The bottom has no dividers. Both tray and bottom are lined in dark burgandy velvet; I think the inside of the lid, and possibly the sides, is burgandy satin. There is a lighter cardboard false bottom. A small ribbon tab at one side lifts up the velvet-covered false bottom and shows a 1/2" deep space underneath to keep more valuable things.

I've also got a jewelry box that was my mother's when she was little, in the 1960s. It's not that valuable and parts are broken, but it's neat. It's a small chest with one or two drawers, all of powder blue plastic, lined with light blue satin fabric. The lid (which is off - the plastic around the hinges broke) raises up a small tray like the other jewelry box. IIRC there's a mirror inside the lid and a little ballerina; it was a music box as well. Under the small tray is a space for other jewelry. When the tray is lifted up, the bottom drawer comes out as well. It's a little deeper, maybe about 1". I can't remember if there is a second drawer above it or just the space beneath the tray. The top of the lid is textured like leather, and in the center is a round recessed motif with a large embossed rose. I think the embossing was picked out with gilt paint.

Irish_Rin

New in Town
My plain little box

Over ten years ago I was at my parents house and my Mom gave me her jewelry box. You would have thought she'd given me the Holy Grail. My folks laughed at how excited I was over it.

My Mom worked for her dad who was a was a pharmacist in the 40's and his place had a soda fountain and sold many things. He sold cigars as well and when this cigar box was empty my Mom took it home and used it for her jewelry box. As a kid growing up I loved being allowed to get her cigar box out and go through all her stuff.

Of all the vanity items that my mom had, this is the one that I treasure the most.

PB050066.jpg
[/IMG]

PB050070.jpg
[/IMG]

nico demouse

Familiar Face
Those minature Lane cedar chests were given out at least until the mid-nineties. I have one from my graduation and my mom nas one from her graduation.

I would love to find a freestanding, vintagey looking jewelry armoire that was affordable. I've seen lovely looking ones but all in the $200 - $300 range.

Decayla

New in Town
Jewelry box

This belonged to my grandmother. Im not sure what year it is. All of her real ruby, diamond and gold rings are in it.

gmasbox.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24