Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joan Blondell and Ginger Rogers Hair

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Hello everyone, I'm new here, I signed up a few months ago but never posted anything, I thought I'd post now and perhaps make some new friends as well as learn new beauty tips!! lol So here's a question....

Some of my favorite hairstyles are the ones that Joan and Ginger have in the early 30's, such as in Gold Diggers of 1933, and Ginger in Swingtime. How can one achieve these hairstyles? My hair is shoulder length now and pretty thick and naturally wavy. Thank you :)
-=Juliette=-

Also, is it possible to change your User ID on here or do you need to make a new one altogether? Thank you! :D

Snookie

Practically Family
Hello Juliette! I think I met you at the Cicada a few weeks ago - we talked upstairs in the bar, yes? Glad to see you around. :eusa_clap

I think you're referring to that fabulous hairstyle we all love, fingerwaves on the top and curls at the bottom? Also worn by Myrna Loy and Gwen Stefani in The Aviator? Well, that's how you do it, fingerwaves on top and curlers on the bottom. [huh] not very helpful, I know, fingerwaves are difficult to do on yourself. Why don't you check through some of the bigger hair threads, this is a popular style, and I know it's been discussed. I'm blanking on what to search on -- maybe someone else remembers?

This is actually how I had my hair styled for my wedding, so if you're interested in getting yours professionally done sometime, I can give you a referral. It was really helpful to see someone form the fingerwaves, cost about $80 I think? I think it's a classic style taught at beauty schools, too, maybe you could find a student to style you.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
hey!

Hey there! Yes we've met! lol Good to see you on here too :) Thanks for the tips, I've tried to do finger waves myself but as you said, it is hard to do.. I'll check out the other threads and see what they have to say :) Are you going to be at Cicada anytime soon? We should hang out and talk more, I was all over the place that night haha

Chas

One Too Many
They're Marcel Waves. You can do them with a Marcel Iron. I once found a vintage one - the kind you heated on the stove. Not for the faint-hearted or the rank beginner. Many women singed their hair to rat-sh*t, I'm sure.

You need a gal pal to help you with it.

There is a digital downloading site with instructions!

1920's-30's.com

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
Hey baby cake, hows it going!!!!!
jtcarrey said:
Hello everyone, I'm new here, I signed up a few months ago but never posted anything, I thought I'd post now and perhaps make some new friends as well as learn new beauty tips!! lol So here's a question....

Some of my favorite hairstyles are the ones that Joan and Ginger have in the early 30's, such as in Gold Diggers of 1933, and Ginger in Swingtime. How can one achieve these hairstyles? My hair is shoulder length now and pretty thick and naturally wavy. Thank you :)
-=Juliette=-

Also, is it possible to change your User ID on here or do you need to make a new one altogether? Thank you! :D

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Chas said:
They're Marcel Waves. You can do them with a Marcel Iron. I once found a vintage one - the kind you heated on the stove. Not for the faint-hearted or the rank beginner. Many women singed their hair to rat-sh*t, I'm sure.

1920's-30's.com

What an awesome site that is!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Chas said:

1920's-30's.com

haha my hair has been through alot with bleaching my brown hair dye out of it, so I'm sure a little more frying won't kill it ;) but thank you Chas for the website link! :eusa_clap

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And how are you?

The right pin curls will do the trick - alternating the direction of horizontal rows, make a wave when you comb them through. Then you comb the ends into little sausage curls. You might need to bobby pin the curls so they stay up and don't get messy, if your hair is shoulder length.
So pretty!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
The right pin curls will do the trick - alternating the direction of horizontal rows, make a wave when you comb them through. Then you comb the ends into little sausage curls. You might need to bobby pin the curls so they stay up and don't get messy, if your hair is shoulder length.
So pretty!

oooh that sounds divine if I can just figure it all out! I'll try it out this weekend and see how it turns out :) Thank you!

Hi Ash! I'm peachy, and you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters