Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joan Collins says British women have given up trying to look good.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
Just let Joan give her a makeover...:)

Okay chanteuse i'm with you in this one :p , it can be tried........... it won't be easy ...it won't... but lets give it a try nevertheless, see what happens lol :p

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
That gal really needs some moisturizer... a better hairstylist, and a really knowledgeable personal shopper for some new clothes!

HadleyH said:
Okay chanteuse i'm with you in this one :p , it can be tried........... it won't be easy ...it won't... but lets give it a try nevertheless, see what happens lol :p

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
Joan Collins! Mend your nasty ways! [bad]

This is what a 76 year old lady has to look like! Didn't you know that Joan?

Beverly Hillbillies Granny ( I have nothing against that look and to each it's own but....)[huh]
untitled-13.jpg

See you round the see..ment pond for a makeover!lol lol :eek:

Edward

Bartender
Brummagem Joe said:
"If in doubt - overdress"

.........Isn't there a little contradiction between this sentiment and the strictures on Joanie who like most of us is just trying to put her best foot forward?

Depends on how you intepret it, reallyy. In context, Aunty Viv was simply expounding her views on dressing up and having fun with clothes; very different, in my way of thinking, at least, to the way in which the article in the OP represents Joan Collins' comments. The latter come across much more as "you're letting the side down!", which naturally, I think, gets backs up among those who have to live in the real world as opposed to what might crudely be termed 'the Hollywood lifestyle'.

C-dot said:
Does anyone else find Joan to be a teenie-weenie bit eccentric? She always appears as if shes going to a costume gala to me. Is that what she means by "looking good?"

Absolutely - and, of course, this is entirely her right, and I would never discourage her from doing so. This is a very different matter than appearing, as it comes over in the article in the OP, to criticise others for not doing the same. That said, by contemporary standards most of us on here are guilty of doing the same thing at some time or another... lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Well, I think BOTH of these ladies here in this pic look terrific, and the women in the background too. Look at the older actress seen behind Joan's right shoulder...

Binkie dear, thanks for posting this picture- I've been there!! YES- tea dancing at the Waldorf Palm Court!! My husband and I went there; ate cucumber sandwiches, sipped tea, etc. and danced the foxtrot and other dances et al for over two lovely never to be forgotten hours during our London honeymoon in 1993 (over 16-1/2 years ago now) when I definitely looked younger!

BinkieBaumont said:
"
"She was on a recent episode of Miss Marple, and at 75 years, it shows cosmetic surgery can only take 10-15 years off"

missmarple.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
If in doubt - overdress.
Actually, I really like this quote. Uh, I AM this quote.

A recent (overdressed? Nah, I'd have needed a proper fancy over the top necklace for doing that! If I'd had one I would have worn it!) pic of what I wore to the recent California Pops Orchestra concert last Sunday afternoon in Los Gatos, CA:
375888940.jpg
What I wore to their Saturday evening concert the night previous in Palo Alto:
375826031.jpg
Yes, Joan might say that I needed to get my nails done-and I would agree! They are done as I type this today... I volunteer with this Orchestra as the Liaison between our church's Music and Worship Pastor (the venue for their Sunday concerts is our church's theater) and the Pops Conductor Kim Venaas. I am their Pops Jane-of-all-trades volunteer in general, and their best cheerleader. I was also doing extra duty that weekend as the Volunteer Coordinator. My husband and I danced a Foxtrot up and down the aisles of the seats during one of the songs performed at each performance. I usually wear a full length evening gown to each concert.

After church, when our new Worship Pastor first saw me dressed for the Pops concert (about 1pm-show was at 3), and commented positively about how I looked, I said "This IS my true persona." People at the concerts always come up to me commenting about how I am arrayed for the concerts, and ask if I will be dancing. They have come to expect it from me, and appreciate it.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
Originally Posted by C-dot
Does anyone else find Joan to be a teenie-weenie bit eccentric? She always appears as if shes going to a costume gala to me. Is that what she means by "looking good?"

Absolutely - and, of course, this is entirely her right, and I would never discourage her from doing so. This is a very different matter than appearing, as it comes over in the article in the OP, to criticise others for not doing the same. That said, by contemporary standards most of us on here are guilty of doing the same thing at some time or another... lol

And to think that her "costumes" are tax deductible as well as much of her make up, at least in the US. The rest of us are unable to claim any deduction for dressing in period clothing or in our "costumes".

Not only is she a natural beauty who is an inspiration, she is a very savvy business woman.

Anyway whether it be hair dye, lip stick, lotions or cosmetic surgery it all to one end: to enhance the natural beauty bestowed upon us all and hide the signs of aging or those things we view as imperfections.

Just about everybody does it, but, some do it better than others.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:

Agreed! Joanie can be as eccentric as she wants, but does everyone have to be? That is the question...
PS. Guilty as charged lol

Anwen

New in Town
I watched one episode of the program (forgot to catch the next one, will have to look it up online...) and I really liked it. She didn't come across as "you naughty women, why don't you make an effort!" so much as "it really doesn't take as much effort or money as you think, and you might well feel better about yourself if you did". She said that she only spends a few minutes in the morning on her makeup, of course having a wig makes the haircare easier (though she didn't mention that...) and took the family she was making over to Primark (about the cheapest clothing store in the UK, but very fashionable) where they got some really nice, stylish outfits (with a bit of care in the selection process) for not very much money.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
HadleyH said:
Joan Collins! Mend your nasty ways! [bad]

This is what a 76 year old lady has to look like! Didn't you know that Joan?

Beverly Hillbillies Granny ( I have nothing against that look and to each it's own but....)[huh]
untitled-13.jpg

Actually, despite the Granny costume, it's highly evident that she was still quite attractive for her age. Here's Irene Ryan in her younger days.

Irene+Ryan.jpg

And now, on to the sermon. I think there is a general lack of fashion today. Though I do notice that Asian women tend to dress more stylishly, even at the supermarket. I get so tired of seeing sweats, hoodies and T-shirts on younger women -- don't get me going about jammies! -- and why, oh why, do many older women have to go for that androgynous look that reminds me of the Saturday Night Live character Pat??? It seems that you rarely even see a woman wearing a dress or skirt these days.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
V.C. Brunswick said:
And now, on to the sermon. I think there is a general lack of fashion today. Though I do notice that Asian women tend to dress more stylishly, even at the supermarket. I get so tired of seeing sweats, hoodies and T-shirts on younger women -- don't get me going about jammies! -- and why, oh why, do many older women have to go for that androgynous look that reminds me of the Saturday Night Live character Pat??? It seems that you rarely even see a woman wearing a dress or skirt these days.

I think the original photo was posted to drive home a point. That poster pointed out in a sardonic manner out that women have, at times, been expected to revert to stereotypical roles and appearances and that Joan Collins is a woman who has not allowed that to happen to her. Moreover, it was an effective way to quiet those who decry Ms. Collins for her efforts to be beautiful at any age; much to Ms. Collins credit.

I will expect women to dress to my liking the day I wear my pinstriped suit, starched french cuff shirts, cuff-links, spit shined shoes and my Homburg to buy a loaf of bread. However, that is just me..[huh]

Irene Ryan out of character and in character.

921_123914577012.jpg
11236576_tml.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic