Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnnyphi Hat Club

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
Ask a ye shall get...
Love them - all exactly as described on the site, the York is my favourite.

Billy, that one you got from me was originally a Johnnyphl.

billyspew

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Billy, that one you got from me was originally a Johnnyphl.

Right you are...

3800874103_d02b921163.jpg

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Royalist Supreme

I picked this one up from Johnnyphi's Website at the end of September. It's an example of the mystery brand our benefactor discovered: Royalist. It has a 2 5/8" brim, a 5 1/4" crown, and a few moth nibbles along the edge binding (revealed in the listing and not affecting the felt) that I've decided don't really bother me. The felt seems decent, though I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to judging quality.

Here is the Royalist Supreme as it arrived:

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

I tried a center dent first, but it didn't really do it for me. Then I decided to try my hand at a diamond bash. It's not up to Mario's impeccable work, but I like it.

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

Here it is, only mildly compromised by sitting over my mug.

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy. I needed a brown fedora to round out my wardrobe, and this one does the job very nicely. Very autumny, I think.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Wow!

Thanks for posting these photos! They are great!

I should have hired you to photograph every hat... Although, you probably would have charged me for the travel from Germany to DC. :eusa_doh:

Mario said:
Lee Trinity Blue Label.

Brim 2 1/2"
Crown 4 1/2" (creased)
Ribbon 1 5/8"
Binding 3/8"

Lee-Trinity-Gray.jpg

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Outstanding!!!

Beautiful! You did a great job creasing the hat, and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the hat.

These Royalists truly are mystery hats. I have always believed that they were made by Adam, but I don't really have any evidence to back that up. It's just a hunch. I also think the black sweatbands are interesting because many people say black sweatbands didn't appear until the 60's. The Royalists look much more like early 50's than 60's.

Tooch said:
I picked this one up from Johnnyphi's Website at the end of September. It's an example of the mystery brand our benefactor discovered: Royalist. It has a 2 5/8" brim, a 5 1/4" crown, and a few moth nibbles along the edge binding (revealed in the listing and not affecting the felt) that I've decided don't really bother me. The felt seems decent, though I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to judging quality.

Overall, I'm very happy. I needed a brown fedora to round out my wardrobe, and this one does the job very nicely. Very autumny, I think.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Like you, I haven't been able to find any other information on Royalist hats. The black sweatband and cellophane covering for the liner looks late '50s to '60s to me, but the dimensions definitely suggest an earlier hat. It's something that will keep me curious and spur me to research, which is not a bad thing.

Most important: I like the hat!

These Royalists truly are mystery hats. I have always believed that they were made by Adam, but I don't really have any evidence to back that up.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Johnnyphi and Tooch, I got one of the Royalists as well, and it may be a mystery, but I think it's really nice felt! I like the hat. It's moldable and light enough I leave it open crown until I'm ready to wear it. I'll post it sometime, but first the Lee...

Chinaski

One Too Many
Lee Adventure, courtesy of Johnnyphi

NOS, with a couple little moth nibbles here and there. It's gray, but in certain light takes on a very light blue color. I haven't determined whether or not I'll recrease, but probably not. It's the only factory creased hat I have, so in that regard it's unique. Just posted in the Lee Lounge as well, so have another look.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
There was a moth-impaired Adam for $40 that I might have went for on your website, Johnnyphi, if only whoever bought it hadn't gotten to it, first. And I love that Lee Trinity Blue Label, by the way!

--flute

Chinaski

One Too Many
Mario, most people would not understand that comment, but I believe all of us here understand how you feel! Thanks for the comment. It's very nice light felt; a good summer lid. I don't really have a feel for it because I'm leaving the factory crease.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Why is it that I never have the sort of luck where I can walk into a store, ask to see the attic, unearth a treasure-trove of unworn, vintage fedoras, keep the ones I like for myself, and then make a fortune by selling the rest? Also, Chinaski, very nice! :eusa_clap Usually, I'm not a fan for the factory blocks, but that one is exceptional! And I agree, you really wear it well, Tooch.

--flute

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
fluteplayer07 said:
Why is it that I never have the sort of luck where I can walk into a store, ask to see the attic, unearth a treasure-trove of unworn, vintage fedoras, keep the ones I like for myself, and then make a fortune by selling the rest?

At the last Vintage Fashion Expo in Santa Monica, California, a dealer (Kevin Looney of "Go Vintage Go") told us about --and showed us!-- his latest find. He went to a garage sale in St. Paul, Minnesota, and asked the folks if they had any old menswear. "We sure do," they replied, "in the basement." Turns out their long-dead grandfather had had a clothing store, and when it closed many years ago, he put some of the old unsold merchandise in his home's basement...

The dealer was invited to take a look. He found, covered in sheets, about 70 (yes, 70) men's suits from the mid 1920s...never worn, in a variety of sizes, in perfect condition, with their original paper price tags still attached. Every kind you could imagine: 3-piece, double-breasteds, herringbone tweeds, pinstripes, flannels, serges, etc.

Of course, the dealer offered to buy all of them. Within a week, he'd sold about 40 to HBO for its "Boardwalk" TV series. At the Vintage Fashion Expo, he sold 17 more to one person, a film costumer. For how much? I kid you not: nearly $700 each. I watched as the costumer wrote him a check for $11,800.

(Incidentally, Matt Deckard was there with me and also saw these wonderful suits. He even took photos of the paper "quality guarantee" certificate that was in the pocket of each suit.)

So yes, miracles still happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot