Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers

Today I placed what I am absolutely swearing (minus maybe a shawl collared Thedi, that's like desert, different pipe) what will be my final (new) leather jacket.
It's a remake of John Builders jacket, posted here, based on a 30's Levi's design.
I have to say Alan was a great guy to talk to. Very informative and helpful and very willing to talk shop. The process involves a fit jacket that I can spec out with my desired changes for the final build. If necessary a mock up will be made to optimize the fit. I've seen so many outstanding JL jackets posted here and have owned one or two but this will be the first built to my specs. I couldn't be more excited about the order! Hopefully I can update this thread with some pics soon. I'd like to take it from soup to nuts, including the fit jacket and mock up (if needed).

Good luck with your endeavor. Fascinating to plan something from the ground up. The chase is almost as much fun as what you finally receive.
It sure is Fanch. I'm excited about the process with Alan and his knowledge of the craft is really what sealed the deal for me. We had a 1/2 HR convo on the phone today and I was 100% sold after that.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sounds geat Tony! I tried on a Johnson a year or two back while at Insurrection, they had a used one that was a little too large. I recall this thick, brown steerhide jacket having some of the softest, most comfortable leather I had ever witnessed. It was a size 48 and not a style I was partial too, but a great jacket nonetheless...

BobJ

Practically Family
Yeah, Alan is a very knowledgeable, and as friendly as all get out. They did some work on my jacket - shorten the sleeves, install deeper inner pocket bags, and replace the main zipper (another one of those pita little Talons, that failed after a few months). Their work was impeccable - threads going into the same needle holes, you couldn't tell anything had been done, and he told me, in advance, that's the way it would be. Same color thread, same thickness, same tension in the stitches - I don't think even the machinist (Janet) who made the jacket would be able to tell it had been altered.

Bottom line - great customer service, world class workmanship. You're gonna be happy with your jacket!

Congrats Ton!! JL and Alan are excellent people! Really fantastic customer service. I'm planning on having a Terminator 2 repro made by them.

Today I placed what I am absolutely swearing (minus maybe a shawl collared Thedi, that's like desert, different pipe) what will be my final (new) leather jacket.

Good luck with all that. . . XD

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
great news with the mockup jacket Ton! sounds like fun weeks ahead for you, hopefully you could share some documentation :)

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I own three jackets made by JL, best fitting jackets I own, stitching top notch. And Alan is the most professional person I have worked with in the business. I'm sure your jacket will turn out great!

technovox

One Too Many
Ahhh...I've learned the hard way to never say never when it comes to lusting after new jackets. And for a complete ground up custom design, Johnson Leathers/Alan really is one of the best. They listen, they get it right, and they understand the subtle details, and their prices are very reasonable. They made my 30's Levis Blue/Black Speedway in their famous Horween overdye black.
Looking forward to seeing the finished jacket!

Last edited:
Fit jacket has arrived. I'm thinking the final product needs 2.5" of body length and 1" narrowed through the sleeves. Sleeve length .5" longer. The finished product should look like the last pic...
And I'm not messing with the pattern at all. No handwarmer zips, pleated back, two button cuff.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Looks more than perfect to me. I really wouldn't add any more length to it - okay, maybe an inch but that's tops - 'cause... I don't know, it looks so perfect on you now. It's got that V shape going on the way it's supposed to, I'm afraid that might be compromised by adding 2.5" of length. That's a lot. Sleeve width I agree with but why an aditional 0.5" in length?

Looks more than perfect to me. I really wouldn't add any more length to it - okay, maybe an inch but that's tops - 'cause... I don't know, it looks so perfect on you now. It's got that V shape going on the way it's supposed to, I'm afraid that might be compromised by adding 2.5" of length. That's a lot. Sleeve width I agree with but why an aditional 0.5" in length?
Yeah the 1/2" sleeve length is probably just paranoia about them coming up short. Man...I don't want to over think it!
The body length is perfect for a true M/C jacket but for the repro...I don't know. My BL is a full 2" longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy