Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jurassic World Chris Pratt Outwear

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Yes, there is such a thing as overdoing certain part of a refurb, such as the polishing according to your taste, or the dial according to mine (and yours, I presume). That's just the point - I think it's a good idea to stop and think for a moment before having done everything possible to refurb the cosmetic appearance of a watch. It can easily get into money.

You guys are killing me with this nutcracker talk. lol

Monitor, watch out for that wristwatch collector's bug...

Rabbit, I somehow missed your reply! Apologies. :)

Thank you, again, for the really, really informative reply! I've been through quite a few threads on the Omega and vintage watches forums, and nobody has put this down so nicely. Though I already left the watch at the repair shop, full servicing and a crystal replacement is all I could afford, though they did say they are just going to polish the finish. The horologist really did fall in love with it, so I hope he won't over-do the repairs. It has got plenty of nicks and scratches that don't look very nice at all - it just looks like a very beat up watch - but nothing really substantial, as a matter of fact, like dings or really deep cuts. The ring piece that is holding the crystal has got it worst, and there are couple of nasty cuts done to the crystal top, but that's that. It looks like someone was trying to remove the crystal (by cutting through it) but couldn't. Or, like someone was trying to bust something open with it, which makes some sense, considering that the back of the case is behind the metal belt so, sadly, the face of the watch is best suited for, well, cracking nuts. Or just hammering at things. XD

The dial appears to be in a good condition, and so are the hands and all. The dial is black, so I can't say if there's any patina on it - or perhaps I just can't tell it, same as most people probably don't understand the appeal behind an old leather jacket or boots - but it did look good to me. I've spent quite some time admiring the little details, like the three-dimensional pyramid shaped dials, even on minutes and seconds, that all have luminescent strips in between, even though they're probably less than a mm in width. Not even the lettering is simply printed, I believe. So, since the dial itself is this intricate I don't think they can actually replace it, without getting a completely new piece from the factory.

Though I'm a little worried now... I'll make sure they won't mess with the dial first thing Monday. XD Thank you again, Rabbit!!!

Oh, and don't worry about me catching a wristwatch collector's bug. The only way to get another one for me would be to sell this one, and that wouldn't make all that much sense, at all. :)

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit, I somehow missed your reply! Apologies. :)

Thank you, again, for the really, really informative reply! I've been through quite a few threads on the Omega and vintage watches forums, and nobody has put this down so nicely. Though I already left the watch with the , full servicing and a crystal replacement is all I could afford, though they did say they are just going to polish the finish. The horologist really did fall in love with it, so I hope he won't over-do the repairs. It has got plenty of nicks and scratches that don't look very nice at all - it just looks like a very beat up watch - but nothing really substantial, as a matter of fact, like dings or really deep cuts. The ring piece that is holding the crystal has got it worst, and there are couple of nasty cuts done to the crystal top, but that's that. It looks like someone was trying to remove the crystal (by cutting through it) but couldn't. Or, like someone was trying to bust something open with it, which makes some sense, considering that the back of the case is behind the metal belt so, sadly, the face of the watch is best suited for, well, cracking nuts. Or just hammering at things. XD

The dial appears to be in a good condition, and so are the hands and all. The dial is black, so I can't say if there's any patina on it - or perhaps I just can't tell it, same as most people probably don't understand the appeal behind an old leather jacket or boots - but it did look good to me. I've spent quite some time admiring the little details, like the three-dimensional pyramid shaped dials, even on minutes and seconds, that all have luminescent strips in between, even though they're probably less than a mm in width. Not even the lettering is simply printed, I believe. So, since the dial itself is this intricate I don't think they can actually replace it, without getting a completely new piece from the factory.

Though I'm a little worried now... I'll make sure they won't mess with the dial first thing Monday. XD Thank you again, Rabbit!!!

Oh, and don't worry about me catching a wristwatch collector's bug. The only way to get another one for me would be to sell this one, and that wouldn't make all that much sense, at all. :)

I think you've made a good choice to get the watch working and wear it, because you went on an adventure, and this is the treasure you found! Can't get better than that!

Big J, agreed! I'm really happy and excited about having it fixed, and I only realized that once I actually walked out of the service centre. Much has been happening around this watch since I found it and to think that I just sort of liked the look of the watch when I first picked it up from that pile of trash. Figured, at the time, I might have the battery replaced or whatever and maybe wear it... lol, battery. Hadn't a clue.

I only truly hope there isn't anyone missing this watch... I know for a fact nobody was squatting in that building anymore, not for ages at least, but still...

So yeah - can't get better than that, Big J. :) This whole story's just so much fun, and it's not even over yet! Less than a month from now, I'll have my watch back and... What then? Do I keep it? Do I wear it? We'll see!

Navetsea, I'm still half expecting some Beloch-sort to appear out of nowhere and take the watch from me. XD

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy