Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Arrived: Akubra Squatter in Willow Green

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Akubra Man said:
Can anybody help me to understand what kind of bash that Akubra Sombrero is supposed to be. Is that the way Akubra sends it out? This has perplexed me since the first time I saw it. If it appears that this is a very dumb question please go easy on me ... my own curiosity as to what others think about this hat just got the best of me.
Akubra sends it out open crown. Other online vendors show it with a telescope crown. The odd bash shown at Hats Direct is based on what TV personality Les Hiddins, "The Bush Tucker Man," does with his:

bushtuckerman-2.jpg

If you could get the Akubra Sombrero in silverbelly, it seems to me you could put on a matching ribbon for the hatband and do a Tom Mix bash:

499.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
This is the same exact Squatter that I have. Came in the same shape and everything.

I put a center crease and pinch in front, and it looks great.
I'm fine with the height on mine %100, but it still has too much taper for my liking. I'm building a block for it.

ideaguy

One Too Many
WOW. Really had no idea that Akubra had such a wide range available. And the quality...holy smokes, have had my head (with hat) in the sand.
The green is super-can you show it in natural light? Very hard to photograph green hats- I've tried & tried; and very nice selection of Akubras'. Made me sit up straight and pay attention. :eusa_clap

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have a few questions about the DM Squatter, as it seems to be what I'm after.

1. I like the moonstone, but I would prefer a black ribbon. Does DM change ribbons on request?

2. If bashed with a C-crown, would it look less country like and more city like?

3. Is it possible to cut the brim down so that the binding is gone and it's more like 2 1/2" than 3"?

I know it sounds as though I should just get a different hat if I'm going to change so much, but I like the chin hooks and the crown height suits me more than that of the Fed IV. Anyone ever tried any of the above (especially the bashing)?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SquatterBackyard2.jpg
WillowGreenHat-3.jpg
SquatterStylin-1.jpg
FedoraCaughtInRain.jpg

I can't say that I have what you'd call broad shoulders, but don't let that 3" brim intimidate you. It's a great starting point, and you can always just...snip a little off.

danofarlington

Neophyte said:
Willow Green Squatter, modified:

SquatterREBORN3-1.jpg
SquatterREBORN2.jpg
SquatterREBORN1.jpg
Once you get your mind trained in to a pretty wide brim, it's a nervy thing. Get used to it, and at least in my view it says "I have style confidence." It's a kind of nerve. That's one of the reasons I wear hats. I think they attract positive attention.

Neophyte

When I said modified, I meant I trimmed the 2.875" brim to 2.375", in addition to the sort-of-Hollywood-flip. 3" looks great, it's just too big for my narrow shoulders. I like it a lot now, it looks less "safari."

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
When I said modified, I meant I trimmed the 2.875" brim to 2.375", in addition to the sort-of-Hollywood-flip. 3" looks great, it's just too big for my narrow shoulders. I like it a lot now, it looks less "safari."

Your hat looks good! This is a good modification indeed. Now how did you go about trimming the brim? Sorry if you had it clearly explained somewhere, but this is something I may like to do with my next hat, if I see it as preferable.

Neophyte

J B said:
Your hat looks good! This is a good modification indeed. Now how did you go about trimming the brim? Sorry if you had it clearly explained somewhere, but this is something I may like to do with my next hat, if I see it as preferable.

Thank you for the compliment, I'd be happy to share.

My first goal was to eliminate the the bound edge, so I cut into it with a pair of scissors and carefully cut the felt just beyond the bound edge. I then checked the mirror to see if it was okay. I continued to cut very thin strips, maybe 3-5 millimeters at a time, until I felt that the brim was sufficiently (not) wide. I did it all by eye, and took a long, long time carefully cutting each strip (note that this is the first time in my life that I've ever attempted anything so crazy). However, by just taking a little off at a time, I avoided botching any precise measurements. I simply cut and modeled, rinse, wash, and repeat, until I decided enough was enough.

I did have to fight the urge to continue, as once you start to modify the hat, it kinda becomes a compulsive thing. I still have to sandpaper some edges, but I'm pretty much done touching this hat with anything remotely sharp lol .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot