Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Arrived: Akubra Squatter in Willow Green

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
These are fresh out-of-the-box photos - I haven't touched the shape or anything else, mainly because I'm still thinking about what I want to do. Thought I'd share some shots. Disappointed by the news that the Bluegrass Green Campdraft is no more, Hats Direct pointed me towards the Squatter in Willow Green as an alternative. Thinking, what the heck, I went ahead with it and waited the few months for one to be made in my size (63, 7 7/8).

It's always tough to get good representations of color in these things, so I tried to make sure these came out at least roughly accurate. I threw in an array of other Akubra felts for comparison.

Next to a Sand (or if you prefer, Akubra Silverbelly) Campdraft.

3078759870_8ce508207f_o.jpg

3077928019_95d8551a7d_o.jpg

It came pre-styled in a porkpie fashion.

3078759948_3b6d5b7ab9_o.jpg

The hat has no liner. Besides the usual Akubra logo and "MADE IN AUSTRALIA" gold lettering on the sweatband, there is a block of gold lettering which reads:

Squatter
Featherweight

3077928111_4ed78f7631_o.jpg

3077928175_b0dbc1f293_o.jpg

The hat is "Superfine" quality, rather than the Imperial or Heritage grades on most Akubras.

3077928237_bb0234cde5_o.jpg

Finally, here's an array of Akubra felts for comparison. From the left: Carbon Grey Federation, Sand Campdraft, Willow Green Squatter, Mid Brown Federation.

3078760238_9668d4607c_o.jpg

I have never seen a Superfine Featherweight Akubra before, and the felt is very nice. It's noticeably lighter than the Feds or Campdraft, and quite soft.

Going to have to figure out what to do about styling.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Atomic --

Congrats on the Squatter!

My experience in photographing green lids is that it is often very hard to get the color to come across using flash or indoor photography -- whereas the green really comes through in daylight. Any chance you could post a couple of daylight shots of your new Squatter?

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the color, AG. I can only think of one other green Akubra that I've seen, and I like your green better. I would also like to see some daylight pictures of your new hat, and I'll be interesting in seeing how you decide to shape it. I wonder how it would look if you just put some dents in the front of it?

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I'll get a daylight photo tomorrow, when the sun is up again. :)

There's nothing especially *wrong* with the porkpie crease. Just not sure if that's my thing. I need to get the brim like I want it before I make a judgement, though. The brim's a full 3 inches, I believe, which is bigger than I'm used to but not that much bigger than the Campdraft's.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I'm considering keeping it the way it is. My significant other said she thought it looked cool, so that's another pretty good endorsement. :) I'll work on it tonight and see what I think. It's pretty soft, so I don't expect much trouble in the shaping department.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Akubra Man said:
Very nice Sir ... I am curious as to what color ribbon is on the hat?

The ribbon is green as well, though not precisely the same color as the felt. It's actually a pretty nice effect, especially when combined with the edge binding.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
I like the looks of that pork pie...If I was to do anything to it I would roll up the sides of the brim a touch. Will Smith wore something similar, but not the same in the movie Wild Wild West.

kiltie

Practically Family
That is a handsome hat: I really like that color. I have the David Morgan Akubra Squatter. That one comes open crown and lined, though the felt seems a bit more pleasant to the touch and somewhat lighter than my Adventurer. You also get the wind string grommets with the DM.
If you do any reshaping, when you pop it out would you please take pictures of the open crown?

I always wondered what kind of Fedora a Squatter would be.

Any plans on reshaping it?

Here you go....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM1837.jpg

And crummy phone pic...

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0562.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
This makes the Stylemaster and the Squatter in the "featherweight" Akubra club.

Are there others?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Wow. That's a Squatter? DM must reblock them or something, because the Squatter I know has a lower crown and more brim. I actually like yours, fdm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot