Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Ordered My First Custom Hat

leo

One of the Regulars
...but I cannot blame this one on the Fedora Lounge.

A couple of weeks ago, I bumped into a long-time personal friend and professional colleague, now retired, who I hadn't seen for quite a while. It turns out that he has been in the hat trade for the last three years! He staffs show displays and generally works as a sales rep in the Eastern U.S. for Nathaniel's of Colorado. He has already met some of the rich and famous who buy hats from Nate, but was happy to help me with my selection ;-) He showed me many hats, including a personal one that he actually built himself in Nate's shop. The hats are impressive with a high attention to detail. I've had a crash course in hats and hat care, too.

It seems that Nate and team is insistent on exact fit and the best color and style to enhance the wearer's looks. My head was measured with a 120-year old metal conformer and I tried on a number of hats to get the correct color match.

So yesterday I ordered the Explorer in the 50-50 rabbit and beaver blend in the Sahara color. These next two months might go slowly ;-)

Also, my Dobbs Temptation is now being taken west by my friend for some personal adjustments by Nate himself!

Bill

leo

One of the Regulars
Pix? Here are a couple from a brochure and the web site until the real thing arrives.

Explorerhat.jpg

outback_sahara_sidesm.jpg

Bill

Neil

A-List Customer
Went and looked at Nate's site. . .

Wow. $750 for a fedora. What's it made of, fur from the belly of albino minks or something? Or does Nate just do twice as good a job as Art Fawcett or the Custom Hatter in Buffalo?
Sorry to sound fixated on price, but honestly. . . .

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
NIce lookin' hat....isn't that Josh Bernstein's hat?...I thought at first they were either an Akubra Cattleman or Snowy River...
750...yikes...way outa my league...Can't wait to see pics on your head!...and while scaling a cliff...or digging in the desert...:D

animator

One of the Regulars
Nate does have very nice looking hats on his site... and there are people who charge MUCH more than that, even.

I'm sure you will you will have a fine hat, leo... just don't set it down over a burning candle.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
750 is expensive, but certainly not unheard of.
Besides, that's the price on the site. Maybe there's a "friend" price.

Neil said:
Wow. $750 for a fedora. What's it made of, fur from the belly of albino minks or something? Or does Nate just do twice as good a job as Art Fawcett or the Custom Hatter in Buffalo?
Sorry to sound fixated on price, but honestly. . . .

leo

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
...Maybe there's a "friend" price.

Maybe. I ordered the less expensive 50-50 blend based on recommendations regarding wear characteristics and intended uses.

One thing I was concerned about was how well the hat would work in foul weather. Apparently, many of Nate's hats are working hats, not just for shows and rodeos, and some have been outside for years. I was assured that the hats are built to last and that beavers spend most of their lives in water, anyway ;-)

I didn't know who Josh Bernstein was until two weeks ago. Yes, his hats are the same Explorer model, except his are the full beaver version. According to some web info, he does not wear them on the new show because of sponsorship by Columbia. Maybe he did not want to wear the "Tilley-like" Columbia hat so wears none, eh?

Bill

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Be sure to post some photos of your hat once you receive it. There aren't too many guys making hats these days, and we've only seen a few here. More are always welcome.

There's been quite a bit of discussion on Bernstein. Quickly searching his name in the titles of threads, I found this one. I'm sure there are plenty more where he's mentioned within the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80