Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Ordered...My First Fedora!

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Mustang said:
I can't wait to get it! I'm really nervous over the fit. I ordered it in 7 5/8. My head measures 23 3/4" exactly, so I'm right dead center between 7 1/2 & 7 5/8. I called David Morgan's customer service before ordering it, and the lady I spoke with, said the Sydney runs pretty true, size wise...maybe a tad small. My fingers are crossed!

NonEntity said:
...Mine came from David Morgan also, and, despite what the lady there told you, my Sydney fits perfectly true to size, even after wearing it several times in the rain. The felt pads that will be in the box with it can be inserted beneath the headband to cinch it up if your Sydney is a bit large.

toobacat said:
My Sidney fits true to size. David Morgan told me that not all the Akubras fit the same though. I've haven't worn mine in the rain (afraid that the crown would taper), but maybe I'll give it a try.

I have a funny feeling, if I would have told her my size is exactly 7 5/8, she would have said the sizing is exact. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

jaifree

New in Town
Sydney regency fawn arrived today!

Hi All..

First post.. I've been lurking for a while. And learning for a while, too.
I'm very pleased with the Sydney. The fit is exactly on the money.. comfortable right away. The color is rich. I might need to put a wider ribbon on if I ever find one that matches. Anyone have a good source?

It's hard to find 7 7/8 anything, but I've stumbled on a few. My small, but growing inventory, in order of acquisition:

Black, adventurer style, wool dorfman and pacific. I love this funky thing.. just slouchy enough with loads of character.

Black, packable Borsalino Allesandria fur fedora that i bought new in Paris 2 years ago. It's soft as a glove and beautiful, but at size 62, little snug.. maybe I can get it stretched but it scares me. Could be a special edition.

Grey, wool Jaxon c-crown fedora. Looks great for now.. fun and cheap.

Mink colored, stingy, Knox fur felt found on fabulous ofas fairly recently. Cardboard ticket says style 023 mink. Actual 7 7/8 and fits like it. Looks 50s to me, but could be 60s. Had it cleaned up and blocked by The Hat Guys in Oakland, Ca. Like new, except for a remaining stain on the ribbon.. but the color is so good, I doubt I'll ever replace it. Lucky find for a relative newbie.

Silver belly, Resistol 5x County Sheriff.. also from ofas. I've been playing with conversion, but it's a work in progress. Put a pretty good c-crown bash on it, but the brim is an enigma. Right now, all down, maybe i should trim it.. or maybe make it old fashioned cowboy somehow. Again.. just excited to find one that fits.

And today, UPS suddenly brought sly Sydney from David Morgan. Easy order.. fast delivery.

More to come,
deep thanks,
Jaifree

Mustang

One of the Regulars
jaifree said:
And today, UPS suddenly brought sly Sydney from David Morgan. Easy order.. fast delivery.

More to come,
deep thanks,
Jaifree

Rubbing it in eh? :mad:

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum Jaifree. Wow! I'm really surprised how many people have the Sydney, I had no clue. Mine should arrive today, but I won't see it until I get home from work...around 10pm tonight.

As impatient as I am about waiting a week for this hat, I'll probably go insane waiting the 4-6 weeks for Art to make me one. :eek: lol

Donato

One of the Regulars
Welcome Jailfree and Congrats!

Please post some pics when you have a chance. We just love the vicarious pleasure we get from salivating over new hat purchases!!!:essen: :essen: :essen:

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Mustang said:
... Wow! I'm really surprised how many people have the Sydney, I had no clue. Mine should arrive today, but I won't see it until I get home from work...around 10pm tonight.

I have yet to hear a bad word about them ... many of us also have the "Fedora" from Hatsdirect, which everyone says is the same hat as the Sydney. There are many threads on the Lounge about them. It was my first fur fedora, and despite having a couple of more expensive hats, it remains my go-to hat most of the time.

Soft, comfortable, and a classic shape ... you'll love it! Congrats!

jaifree

New in Town
not quite..

Woulda been jail free if not for those darn sixties and a zealous state trooper in upstate New York and a judge in his bathrobe and his knotty pine basement and six days of gin rummy and an assortment of county jail repeaters.

Spellflower

Practically Family
NonEntity said:
So you need not worry about your Sydney or any other Akubra tapering more than that with which it was designed. .

Actually, my Akubra Federation has tapered quite a bit. My Akubra Fedora still looks like it did when I got it, but then, it hasn't seen quite as much heavy use, or the number of tea-kettle assisted bashings, as my Federation. In any case, my Federation is noticeably pointier than it was when new.

As for sizing, both my Akubras have shrunk, but again, this seems to vary by the amount of use. I tend to wear the Federation more in the summer, and so it gets more sweaty days, which has shrunk the sweatband considerably. My Fedora was a bit large when I bought it, and is now just a tad tight, except when I've just buzzed my head. Moral: buy your Akubras big, and get a stretcher just in case.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
My Hat Arrived!

Last night, I walked in the door and on the rocking chair sat "the" box. First thing I did, was put it on my head and show my wife, with open crown and brim up. You should have seen the expression on her face! She was completely speechless. It was the look you get when someone doesn't want to say, but they think you look ridiculous. She was scared to death she was going to have to tolerate me wearing my hat like that in public, and it showed all over her face....priceless!

First of all...it fits perfectly! So, the lady from David Morgan was right on the money (And here's my public apology to her for thinking otherwise :eek: )I must say that it will take a little while getting used to it feeling as though it's sitting higher on my head than I'm used to. I'm very pleasantly surprised that the brim comes down lower than I expected, and works very well as a sun shade. The color is exactly as I expected and I really like it. They call it "Regency Fawn", I'd call it "Dusty, Dark Brown". I can't get over how lightweight it feels on my head.

I really like the fact that I had to "bash" it myself. I have never done that before with any hat. The first few times I tried it, I kept putting the dent off center, which was a little frustrating. To remedy that problem, I used my left hand as a guide, and put it under the hat running it directly under the front and back of the hat...That was the end of that problem. It's nice to have the flexibility to be able to try different style bashes, although I've only tried the one seen in the photos below so far.

In reference to a thread I'd started a while ago, in which I asked if fedoras could be worn with a t-shirt...NOT this fedora :eusa_doh:! So yesterday was the last day wearing a t-shirt for a long time to come ;) :D. I was, however, upset to find my favorite shirt, the one that would have went perfectly with my new hat, was ruined in a washing incident :rage:.

I'm usually the one taking the photos, so I forgot how much I dislike posing for photos :eusa_doh:. Not to mention, as luck would have it, the batteries for my flash are dead shakeshead. BUT, I promised some photos, and so, without further ado:
(Disclaimer: I'll replace these photos this weekend, with better versions. I figured, I'd get quick shots uploaded for the time being)
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Great!

And glad to hear I wasn't the only one terrorizing the better half when the first hat arrived .... I had that exact same moment with my wife!!! :rolleyes:

lol lol lol

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments

Wow, the pictures appear much darker on my work pc!

The view of myself in the mirror in this hat is taking a little getting used to. I'm not used to the back of my hats sloping up like this [huh] .

It is super windy here today (and friggin' cold!), and I was pleasantly surprised that the wind didn't seem to even come close to blowing the hat off my head. I really expected that to be an issue, since it is just barely snug.

I also am shocked that noone at work noticed any difference between this hat and those I've worn in the past (Tilley T3's, Filson Tin Cloth Packer, cowboy hat's, baseball caps). I expected to get ripped on a little ("Hey Indy!", etc., etc.)...not a word though [huh]. Everyone acted as though I've been wearing this hat forever.

My wife, on the other hand, was quite honest and said it's going to take a little while for her to get used to me wearing it.

EDIT: Update...Later in the day, quite a few co-workers commented on how they liked my new hat. :cool: :cool2:

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I have a couple questions

1.It seems I've read somewhere that the top of the crown should not touch the top of my head. Is this correct? [huh]

2. Does the back of the hat seem to go up more than normal to any of you?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Won my first fedora today off that familiar auction site...claims to be a 1950s MacPhergus...we'll see how it goes...the only 7 3/4 on there to fit my big ol' head...

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mustang said:
1.It seems I've read somewhere that the top of the crown should not touch the top of my head. Is this correct? [huh]

2. Does the back of the hat seem to go up more than normal to any of you?

1. This is true for tall crown hats, like the Federation. But, with normal and low crowns, it's almost impossible to avoid contact between the top of your head and the top of the crown.

2. The upturn in back varies quite a bit with different models. (Sometimes it can be the distinction between a Fedora and a Trilby. Then, again, some say there is no distinction.) There's nothing wrong with your hat.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
1. This is true for tall crown hats, like the Federation. But, with normal and low crowns, it's almost impossible to avoid contact between the top of your head and the top of the crown.

2. The upturn in back varies quite a bit with different models. (Sometimes it can be the distinction between a Fedora and a Trilby. Then, again, some say there is no distinction.) There's nothing wrong with your hat.

Thanks...on both accounts. I was wondering how in the world I'd be able to keep the top of the crown off my head. I'd had to leave it as an open crown...which would be great, since my wife likes it that way so much. lol

SamMarlowPI said:
Won my first fedora today off that familiar auction site...claims to be a 1950s MacPhergus...we'll see how it goes...the only 7 3/4 on there to fit my big ol' head...

Congrats. Very cool. I've not had any luck with eBay with my head size and you've got it worse than I do (I'm 7 5/8)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart