Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Ordered...My SECOND Fedora! (Carbon Grey Akubra Federation)

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I just found out that my wife just ordered me a carbon grey Akubra Federation, for my upcoming birthday!

I really need to get a grasp on what I'll need to do to the hat to shape the brim as I'd like it. I hope it's not too involved, as I don't have much confidence in my hat shaping abilities. I had read where someone mentioned a "flange" is required...I don't even know what in the heck that is!:eek:

I want the brim shaped similar to Caparzo's tawny fawn Federation in this link:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=27884

Any suggestions for this rookie are appreciated.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
You'll really like the Federation. Don't plan on the "open crown surprise" joke to work this time though, buddy...:eusa_doh:

Mustang

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
You'll really like the Federation. Don't plan on the "open crown surprise" joke to work this time though, buddy...:eusa_doh:

lol Very true. It's unfortunate too, since the look would likely be more dramatic, considering the higher crown.

Stoney said:
Check this out.

http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=10903

Scroll down and you will see the directions for making an Indiana Jones fedora from the experts at Club Obi Wan, the guys who designed the Federation to be
a factory IJ hat.

Thanks. It appears the corresponding photos have been removed though...bummer.

pils

New in Town
Congrats on the next hat!

With regards to shaping the brim I just used a little steam on my Federation and turned it down by hand. It settled on the new shape after about 30 seconds.

/Niels

Mustang

One of the Regulars
My hat arrived yesterday. Here are my first impressions. Mostly as it relates to my first fedora...an Akubra Sydney:

1. The felt is considerably stiffer in comparison to the Sydney. It is similar to the cowboy hats I used to wear. Although I like how soft the Sydney is, having to constantly adjust the crease is a hassle, so I think overall I'll prefer the stiffer felt.

2. I'm surprised that the crown doesn't seem too tall to me at all (I have not measured it). In fact, I wish the Sydney was taller. I'm disappointed that Akubra is changing the Federation to a shorter crown :cry:. Although, I'm sure Art will be able to accommodate me :D

3. I prefer the more gradual upward slope to the back of the brim (in comparison to the Sydney). The back brim on the Sydney slopes up rather severely.

4. The "carbon grey" color is much darker than I had anticipated. If there was such a color, I'd call it "light black". Although I like the color, I would have preferred it to be lighter.

5. The liner was barely attached, which didn't impress me :mad:. In fact, I pulled it out of the hat completely, which didn't require much effort at all. Once I figure out how to reattach it properly, I'll do so...maybe.

6. I also prefer the wider brim on the Federation.

7. I was worried about putting steam to it, but I think I did a pretty good job with the crease and the brim [huh]. I'll be sure to post some photos tomorrow.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I love my carbon grey Federation. A little steaming is all it took to get mine set into a C-crown. I decided to try wearing mine turned after hearing about that style for years from Indy fans. I was always skeptical of it. Now, I love it. Turning it gave the hat so much personality.

citRon

A-List Customer
Don't hesitate to steam it- it can definitely handle it, and it helps the shape set in nicely. It really helps on the brim. Hmm...not satisfied with a Federation's color- that's odd :D

Oh yeah...and

worthlesswithoutpics

indycop

I'll Lock Up
citRon said:
Don't hesitate to steam it- it can definitely handle it, and it helps the shape set in nicely. It really helps on the brim. Hmm...not satisfied with a Federation's color- that's odd :D

Oh yeah...and

worthlesswithoutpics
Have you decided to keep yours?

citRon

A-List Customer
indycop said:
Have you decided to keep yours?

yeah, I did, out of spite for it! :rage: I bashed it, steamed it, and whipped it into submission. I told it 'I don't like you, and you don't like me, but I OWN you, hat!' I'll post some pics in the appropriate 'new hats' thread when my wife get home -she has the camera.
I think I'm going to put a flat black ribbon on it to try to change it up a little, and keep it confused.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I'm going to lower the brim some more

GreyFederationSideShot.jpg

GreyFederation.jpg

Oh, and just in case you're wondering...no, our house isn't tilted. :eusa_doh: lol

Here's the crease (I think this photo represents how dark the hat is quite well, although the color is off. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it will look the same on your monitor, so take it for what its worth[huh]):
GreyFederationCrease.jpg

I tried the diamond shape, but I was not doing a very good job of it, so I gave up...temporarily.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
citRon said:
yeah, I did, out of spite for it! :rage: I bashed it, steamed it, and whipped it into submission. I told it 'I don't like you, and you don't like me, but I OWN you, hat!' I'll post some pics in the appropriate 'new hats' thread when my wife get home -she has the camera.
I think I'm going to put a flat black ribbon on it to try to change it up a little, and keep it confused.
lol lol lol I bet it becomes your favorite hat!lol I would call it the Patrolman hat because you just described my week at work!:mad: :D

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Here's my attempt at the diamond shape:

AkubraFederationwithDiamondCrease.jpg

RBH, do I qualify for membership to the "Diamond Authority"?[huh] :D

Mustang

One of the Regulars
There is a big difference in fit with the diamond crease vs the center crease. Due to the diamond crease, the hat now sits too high for my liking. When I get home tonight, I'm going to steam the center of the top of the crown, and push it up so that it'll fit lower. Hopefully that'll do the trick. I really do like the look of the diamond crease. But it currently feels like the breeze from someone walking by briskly could blow it off my head!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt