Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Watched Red Tails.

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
I saw the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it and after growing up in the 1950's and watching the 1940's WW II Aviation movies over and over again all of these years and most of you know what they were like for originality and special effects,
that there's noway I'm going to be an ingrate and criticize this movie which I believe I could after researching and collecting WW II Aviation for 17 plus years over 18 years ago. I just appreciate the fact that George Lucas did step up and make the movie with alot of his own money I heard and hopefully other film makers will make more WW II Aviation movies in the near future. Also P-38 Lightnings were the first to Berlin before the P-51's and before the P-51's arrived in 1944 the P-38's, who were in the ETO when America first got in the war, were like the Red Tails in that they, from what I've read in countless books, had to stick with and protect the bombers too instead of hunting for kills like the P-51 fighter groups got to do when they first arrived in numbers in the war in Europe. I'm sure there would have been alot of Red Tail Aces of which I don't know that there was even one, if they had been allowed to hunt for kills too like the white P-51 Fighter Groups were allowed to do.

Edward

Bartender
One of my favorite scenes from BoB, Edward. They just don't make war movies like that anymore!

It cracks me up because it's just such a wonderful parody of the English reserve.... the idea too that this kid considers the polite / proper thing to do to be to run for the cigarettes. Heh. I liked how they portrayed the Luftwaffe in that film - not the two-dimensional, "EVIL" cartoon villains of some things. The scenes which have irreverent fun at Goering's expense are a hoot.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Before commenting I must make a few "confessions" I know at great deal about WWII aviation history and a great deal about the Airmen. In addition to reading, watching documentaries and films about them I also fly regularly in their honor. Not in reality but online. There's a game called "Il2 Sturmovik" it's a Russian Developed game named after their famed gound attack aircraft of the 2nd World War. Il2 has been around some 10 plus years and has a well developed "online" component. Round 9 PM EST myself and others log online and fly as the 99th Pursuit Squadron 332nd V.F.G. (Virtual Fighter Group). All this is to say that I went into the movie with a mixture of low expectations and too much knowledge. That being said.

I thought the film was "alright". The "cliches" killed it for me. If I'd wanted cliches I'd a put "Air Force" or "God is my Co-Pilot" in the DVD. It wasn't the worst I'd seen but for 50 some odd million I expected more. Not special effects, those were "fine" I wanted a story. I enjoyed the HBO movie far more, maybe because it was the first, but all in all the film left me flat. There was polite applause afterwards but that was about it. It was "okay" and I was hoping for so much more.

It was far superior to "The Red Baron" about on par with "Fly Boys" no where in the neighborhood of "12 O'Clock High" or "Command Decision", but I'm jaded. I enjoyed the 2nd scene in the Officers Club the most it was funny, sad and poignant all at the same time. My greatest test of a film is if it can stand a 2nd viewing and sadly this could not BUT if it's a choice between 'Red Tails" and no air film at all, gimme this every time. "C+" grade from me. Next stop "Dam Busters" I suppose.

Worf...

PS I met the woman who produced and filmed the great documentary "Red Tailed Angels" about a week ago, she didn't even know that "Red Tails" existed... Can't wait to get her thoughts. I personally think the HBO film of 10 some odd years ago is superior.

I agree Worf. The only thing that made me think I was maybe too critical, or seeing if from a different perspective than intended, was upon arriving at the theater, we got in the elevator. There was an African American woman in there crying her eyes out. I asked if she was OK as she was alone, and she told my wife and I she had just seen "Red Tails" and couldn't believe how "far we'd come" and "freedom isn't free". Both good points. I thought of her during the movie, but I could not feel anywhere near the passion she obviously did - and it's not like I couldn't have - the movie - as you said - just wasn't done well enough to take that seriously.
BTW, my son plays that game and has for years. he's fluent in Russian now and we also reenact doing the WWII 70th Soviet Guard. I don't play the game, but I'm tempted to start as I love the subject and "flying" on computers...
Red Tails could and should have been better.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I just watched it for the first time last night. I waited after reading all the reviews. It was a good movie if you like planes and jackets, and oh yes the jeeps......love those jeeps.
They made a much better movie than I was expecting. Hollywood has turned out some real stinkers. I went there to be entertained and "get away", it was fun...I must say I am glad it did not develope into a love story....

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
I saw Red Tails not too long ago. Like others said, it was definitely a "popcorn" movie. Some of the dialogue peppered with modernisms to attract the younger crowds made me cringe at times, but still the movie was an enjoyable one.

-Kristi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran