Just when you thought you had seen it all . . . (Warning: Not for the fainthearted)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Superfluous, Mar 3, 2016.

1. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

It actually wasn't about price- you read that into it. You can pay what you want for whatever you want, as can we all. I just don't wear sneakers outside gyms or maybe in the house. I think of them as more of a college-age thing, but understand that many don't, and more power to their collective elbows.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Bamaboots likes this.
  2. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

Monitor likes this.
  3. Edward

Edward Bartender

The same could be said of pretty much anything we favour in these parts, though. Upper spendingl imit is one thing, but I certainly don't see a problem with improving the quality / comfort while retaining the look....

Prety much everything is the same, though it's not limited to leather jackets. Cars are even worse.

It'scertainly cheaper to buy used, though I wouldn't suggest Aero or any other than manufacturers favoured in these parts are necessarily "raking" anyone. It's not cheap to manufacture a jacket to that standard in the First World, even with labour costs alone.

Everybody has their price point. I'd be interested to know what it is that is the difference with these Visvims. Can the sole be replaced - or is i so hardwearing that it lasts as long as a quality brogue for instance? The idea of paying more and expecting a much higher standard than the original is far from alien round here (look at the A2!).

Worth being careful there; I know of a case where two men had trouble getting into Australia because they arrived wearing croc-skin boots. I'm all for laws to protect endangered flora and fauna, though it might mean thinking twice about older stuff too. One of the tings I like about wearing leather is that it's a secondary use for the animal (in most cases - sheep, cow, goat) after it being eaten. I tend to the view that if we're gonig to take from nature,. we should try to waste as little as possible.

It's fine; disagreement of views is welcome here, as long as we keep it civil. The view you jokingly posted is not at all unusual in the 'vintage' crowd; others who tend to prefer the more casual or workwear of the past and wearing it with today's more casual attitudes tend to tink differently. It'd be dull if we all carried to same views (in jest or otherwise).

Which is fair enough absolutely - no reason you should be reuired to think otherwise. I don't think I own any sneakers at all now myself (there might be a pair somewhere that I had for a costume some fifteen years ago or so), they're just not me. I don't go to gyms, and I have a pair of leather house-slippers, so.... ;)

4. ton312

ton312

I agree...point being the resale window gap is much wider now than it was even 9 years ago...

5. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm not sure that it really is that different in every case.... though there certainly are more jackets cropping up on the used market now, which may have helped to drive prices down. And the overall econimoc downturn,. at least here in the UK, probably has resulted in fewer willing buyers.

6. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Yep this is gonna cover my belt!! :D

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stand By, ton312, torfjord and 2 others like this.
  7. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

wow it even has 2 collars one to be popped up one to fold down.

8. feltfan

feltfan My Mail is Forwarded Here

Why bother to wear pants with that jacket?

Lebowski likes this.
  9. ton312

ton312

The long forgotten type 12

Lebowski, Mich486 and dubpynchon like this.
  10. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

iu-2.jpeg

Stand By, ton312 and Dm101 like this.
  11. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Updrafts?

feltfan likes this.
  12. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

ProteinNerd likes this.
  13. Corky Corcovado

Corky Corcovado A-List Customer

Here you go @Carlos840 your girlfriend will find you irresistible.
    s-l400.jpg s-l400 (1).jpg

AeroFan_07, Stand By, steve u and 4 others like this.
  14. Lebowski

Lebowski This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.

- "Darling, could you help me to unzip it please?"
    - "Sure honey, but... didn't you forget to use your antiperspirant?"

P.S. It's not about any exact person, it's just a nonobjective abstract joke)

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Corky Corcovado likes this.
  15. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

navetsea and Lebowski like this.
  16. Monitor

Monitor

17. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man One Too Many

Korrf...as In "far"...

18. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

Y'know, when the news in this increasingly neurotic world seems to be getting too much and I feel a sense of hopelessness and despondency creeping up, I tell you, this thread is the perfect antidote! I can rely on it to always make me laugh out loud ... and laughter is the best medicine, as they say. I love this thread!

19. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

There are some old cars that were terrible when new and forty or so intervening years haven't improved them, fine wine they are not.
    So it is with fashions. Back in the seventies there was a fad for a denim/leather mix, maybe it's me but I thought that they looked anything but quaint, which is what a vintage clothes dealer that I know, is advertising them as. Put your shades on.
    seventies-style-vintage-leather.jpg

Benny Holiday and Stand By like this.
  20. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

OMG. The 70's: The decade that fashion forgot.
    Lordy. It took me a while to find the massive collars on that! I mean, they just blend in, big as they are! It's tragic that some poor animal(s) gave their hides for ... that.

Benny Holiday likes this.