Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just won

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Twitch, I hope it is in two weeks as I won't be here for the next two weeks. I will bid on that one too. It won't however be like the one I just won. I hope prices go down just like the rest ,but if I want something bad enough I am going to get it if I can afford it.I loose many bids and that's ok, they wanted it more. I may cry a bit but that is the name of the game. I bid on two other hats and let them go so I could focus on the fifteen.

feltfan

Prairie Shade said:
What goes up, must go down, etc. I have NEVER seen anything that is based on "Pop" culture ever stay on top very long. The list of items with fad status is a long one. If you truly are a hat wearer, vintage fan, and you stick around long enough, the trends will change and if you can pick up these items as they surface again. Never seen it to fail. Only our patience fails.

I can't comment on the pop market, but if you were to look
at hats as part of the antique market, you might be in for a
surprise, unless you are looking at fad durations of a century or more.

If hats follow the same trajectory as, say, arts and crafts
furniture or Shaker items or hand made quilts, those who buy
quality hats now will have no regrets. The comparison may well
be fair- hats, like the previous items mentioned, are aesthetically
pleasing, made using techniques no longer employed, and are of great
quality. I certainly find a few of my hats so attractive I'd like to see
them in display cases like sculptures. Instead they are displayed on
my less than sculptural bean.

And as has been said many times, they're still less expensive than
a lot of the crap coming out of Stetson and most other makers today
while looking better and lasting longer. $200? Sure, if I had it. But it
would have to be of a size to perch on my pate.

squid

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
I made the mistake of griping about the high pricing and it didn't do any good. Some folks educated me quite well, and I would have to agree with them, and I won't soon forget it either. The hat is worth what you are willing to throw down for it. And in Doulas' case, since he can afford such things as these, the price is chump change compaired to what you are getting. You could throw down $200 plus on a new Borsalino and still wouldn't get the quality of a deadstock vintage.
I just put $75 into a vintage Whippet that was falling apart. The felt was quite sound, The liner & hat band are in great shape, but the sweat band was crumbling. Now, I'll mor than likely put another $100 into it just to make it fresh again. Is it woth it? You bet! To me it is any way.

What I can't wait for is to see what this is going to look like in his hands and is Douglas going to get a matching rooster tie?;) great looking hat chief!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

I spent 150 Euro (about $150 at the time) on a new Borsalino three years ago. Would I trade it in on $150 worth of vintage hats today? You bet I would. I have only spent less than twice that on five nice hats. At least I hope the last two are nice since I haven't seen them yet.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Sin of Omission

I am very sorry to say that in my opinion it is a very VERY nice hat. What you paid is entirely your business. To each his own.

DOUGLAS

Pilgrim, need has nothing to do with my hat buying. When I feel my collection is complete I will stop buying. I believe there are more hats to be had.
As a side note at some point I will be weeding out the hats that don't fit in my collection.

Fedorista

Familiar Face
DOUGLAS, I'd bet that chicken button represents Stetson's "Bantam" line.

BTW, awesome hat collection you've been showing us. Thank you

DOUGLAS

Well, the rooster seems to me to be original. It is a pin and it looks like it has been there for a while so it will stay right where it is. The hat needs some cleaning especially around the brim edge but all in all a good buy for me.
3479%3B%3A%3A68%7Ffp348%3Evq%3D3273%3E936%3E9%3C5%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3B7%3A49%3A697vq0mrj

3479%3B%3B275%7Ffp34%3B%3Evq%3D3273%3E936%3E9%3C5%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3B7%3A49%3A69%3Avq0mrj

3479%3B%3B275%7Ffp34%3B%3Evq%3D3273%3E936%3E9%3C5%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3B7%3A49%3A694vq0mrj

3479%3B%3B275%7Ffp355%3Evq%3D3273%3E936%3E9%3C5%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3B7%3A49%3A6%3A7vq0mrj

3479%3B%3B275%7Ffp358%3Evq%3D3273%3E936%3E9%3C5%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3B7%3A49%3A6%3A6vq0mrj

3479%3B%3B275%7Ffp34%3A%3Evq%3D3273%3E936%3E9%3C5%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3B7%3A49%3A6%3A%3Avq0mrj

3479%3B%3B275%7Ffp354%3Evq%3D3273%3E936%3E9%3C5%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3B7%3A49%3A6%3A%3Cvq0mrj

Wild Root

Gone Home
I'm crying... CRYING! That is a beautiful hat but, it's not because of that, I'm crying because I had a hat just like that then, it was stolen at the Hollywood Derby when I was there for a swing dance! The Rooster pin is interesting, it looks like an original! The size and price tag is exactly like the one I had in the one that was stolen... you say it's browning around the edge? Mmmmm, so was mine. It was a 3x Beaver quality, just like that hat! The rooster pin is the only thing different from my old hat. I know they made more then one of these... I can't help but think... sorry, it's still a sad subject.

However, I'm very happy to see another one that is complete with the rooster pin! That is really unique! I'd like to see larger photos if you could!

=WR=

PS. How's the liner, any spots or small stains?

Sweeeeet!!

Douglas,

Very, very nice. You did well well the crown. I wear the brim on my OR's the same as you've done yours.

We all have our budgets and we all enjoy the search and the chase. I will one day "go for it" just like everyone has at one time and get that open crown, just-out-of-the-box, never been worn vintage "find".

I've got a Cuban Hoya de Monterrey double corona that I've been lovingly caring for, that one day will get consumed with some of my oldest sippin' rum. Ya' got to cherish those days.

DOUGLAS

Sorry for the tiny pics. I tried larger photos but they don't seem to want to upload.

feltfan

DOUGLAS said:
Sorry for the tiny pics. I tried larger photos but they don't seem to want to upload.

I saw that. It appeared you didn't put the links in correctly.
Use the little link icon in the editor?

Charlie Reader

New in Town
Darn cool hat! Great what you made of it, I mean what the pros apparently call the "crown" here ;)
Fine overall style, by the way. Hat is in good hands, it appears. And I too would definately let the rooster where it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore