Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who?

Practically Family
I agree with Jim that vintage OR hats were solidly in the fedora camp. The earliest ORs were wide ribbon “traditional” fedoras. In their thin ribbon configuration, they usually came in the same felt, crown height, brim width, and open crown configuration as other fedoras. The thin ⅜” ribbon and different style bow are not enough to move them from under the fedora umbrella. It certainly shared more attributes with fedoras than what we universally classify as westerns. They are able to bridge the the divides between western dress hat, outdoorsy hat, and casual all-purpose fedora. How the owners shaped them played a big part, but it was also how the owners used them and the environment and the rest of the ensemble.

The more modern OR variations with the machine pressed crown shapes are a bit different. These hats with some version of the cattleman’s crease are more western in their vibe. They are usually made from firmer western felt, the brims aren’t made to be snapped, and the crown shapes aren’t meant to be reshaped. This limited the hat to the western dress hat look and moved it away from the fedora.

A great many vintage ORs had diamond, teardrop, center dent, and other fedoras creases and the cattleman crease was just one option if the owner wanted a more western vibe to his fedora. That’s my take anyway.
Okay, I asked in order to learn something.

Thank you for the explanation.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
These are always interesting discussions but it is hard to make many (any) perfectly definitive statements when the subject is a combination of fashion, terms and definitions, and applying current knowledge to historical events. As mentioned, the OR started out as a fedora and has been something of a transition hat between fedora and western. Since around the LBJ era, and with Stetson putting Rancher creases in virtually all ORs since, you would be hard pressed to find any of the general public who would think the OR is not a western hat.

Also as mentioned, bowlers are not fedoras but history (1840-1860) suggests bowlers in the U.S. were very much a part of western attire. Even today, open crown hats (dress weight or western weight) with wide brims are considered by most people as western hats.

RBH

Bartender
I add this for clarification on the use of the fedora in the show. The western hat nor the fedora was what Leonard had in mind for Raylans hat, but the fedora was closer and I believe that Olyphant is a fedora wearer.
So he naturally leaned that direction.
As I said killing the cowboy hat and Raylan picking up the fedora was a wink in Leonards direction.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/justified-series-finale-recap-postmortem-116400767380.html

I am one of the few but I hope he wears a fedora in City Primevel.

raylan-wrong-hat.png

More from Yost

F8w62n.jpg

JweAL3.jpg

2UIqfu.jpg

Movie2099

New in Town
New to the forum. Caught this specific thread while looking at hats from Justified. One of my all time favorite shows. Watched it when it originally released and now just finishing up the re-watch. Only have 4 episodes left in the series.

I've always wanted cowboy boots and hat and now a decade or so later, I finally pulled the plug. The look of Raylan Givens was what I was looking for. So purchased the exact hat from Baron Hats. Which will take 2-3 months to get. Ordered some new Tecovas boots (Ostrich, Caiman and Goatskin), I've got some Levi 501's, some henley, plaid and flannel shirts. Still on the fence about adding a Levi jean jacket. Haha! And one of these days I might look at getting a new blazer.

Can't wait for Primevel to start this summer. I hope Raylan brings back the classic hat. Will be interesting to see what attire Givens will be in now that 15 years has passed. Wonder if the Lucchese boots have survived or if he's found a "new" pair.

Side note, I did reach out to Lucchese and you can still order those smooth Ostrich skin boots for a cool $2700. :p

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
New to the forum. Caught this specific thread while looking at hats from Justified. One of my all time favorite shows. Watched it when it originally released and now just finishing up the re-watch. Only have 4 episodes left in the series.

I've always wanted cowboy boots and hat and now a decade or so later, I finally pulled the plug. The look of Raylan Givens was what I was looking for. So purchased the exact hat from Baron Hats. Which will take 2-3 months to get. Ordered some new Tecovas boots (Ostrich, Caiman and Goatskin), I've got some Levi 501's, some henley, plaid and flannel shirts. Still on the fence about adding a Levi jean jacket. Haha! And one of these days I might look at getting a new blazer.

Can't wait for Primevel to start this summer. I hope Raylan brings back the classic hat. Will be interesting to see what attire Givens will be in now that 15 years has passed. Wonder if the Lucchese boots have survived or if he's found a "new" pair.

Side note, I did reach out to Lucchese and you can still order those smooth Ostrich skin boots for a cool $2700. :p
Also one of my favorite shows and I just finished rewatching it last night.

Movie2099

New in Town
He wore anteater boots the first couple of seasons and ostrich leg boots afterwards.
Correct. Season 3 on he wore the Lucchese boots. I'm not sure why Justin Boots got rid of the anteater boot. Was it not selling enough?

From what I've seen, you can't really find too many boot makers that will use "smooth ostrich skin" for boots. Wish Lucchese would bring them back. I think $2700 is a bit much for a boot that was probably around $800-$1000 when it was originally out.

Made by El Dorado.

That looks very close and is a good looking boot. El Dorado used to be a quality boot comparable to the Big Three when they were US made. Can't speak to today's quality but Boot Barns are everywhere now so, maybe you'll have a chance to check some out. Also, take a look at the bay. You might get lucky.

Movie2099

New in Town
That looks very close and is a good looking boot. El Dorado used to be a quality boot comparable to the Big Three when they were US made. Can't speak to today's quality but Boot Barns are everywhere now so, maybe you'll have a chance to check some out. Also, take a look at the bay. You might get lucky.
The bay? not sure what that is. Haha

james283126

New in Town
Hey all, new guy here. Glad to be apart of the community! I’ve always loved Justified, it’s a classic and I’ve long admired the hat Raylan wore! Such a cool concept of the cowboy hat/fedora. The cattleman’s crease with the slightly flattened brim is such a simple concept but very innovative.

So my question is do any of you here have the Knudsen replica or the Jaxonbilt or The Last Best West? I have been searching high and low for a good replica and since the Stetson Carson is virtually impossible to find these days, the replicas seem like the best way to go! However I would like to see some pics of people actually wearing them so I get a sense for how they look. So if anyone could post some that would be great! Also looked into the Baron Hat replica and wasn’t too impressed, ironic isn’t it?

Hey all, new guy here. Glad to be apart of the community! I’ve always loved Justified, it’s a classic and I’ve long admired the hat Raylan wore! Such a cool concept of the cowboy hat/fedora. The cattleman’s crease with the slightly flattened brim is such a simple concept but very innovative.

So my question is do any of you here have the Knudsen replica or the Jaxonbilt or The Last Best West? I have been searching high and low for a good replica and since the Stetson Carson is virtually impossible to find these days, the replicas seem like the best way to go! However I would like to see some pics of people actually wearing them so I get a sense for how they look. So if anyone could post some that would be great! Also looked into the Baron Hat replica and wasn’t too impressed, ironic isn’t it?

It’s a pretty simple hat…seems like most any competent western hat maker could get you there.

Movie2099

New in Town
Should get this forum rolling again with the release of Justified City Primeval coming out soon.

Some pictures have come out and Raylan looks to be wearing normal Raylan attire. He's back to wearing his normal hat, but the leather hat band has changed. Looks to be a lot thicker than the previous model.

I saw a picture of RG next to his daughter in one scene and he's wearing black boots now. They looked to have a snipped toe. At least from the angle the picture was taken. He's still wearing his Levi 501's. Still rocking some button up/t-shirt or henley. And of course will have the Levi jean jacket.

After re-watching Justified and diving into the things they had T.O. wearing, I feel like the first couple of seasons the wardrobe Sup. made him wear things that RG would actually purchase on his own and wear. Simple outfits, not too expensive but not too cheap either. But then you can clearly see his wardrobe gets a little "upgrade" in future seasons. After finding out some of the brands of attire they had him wear. I highly doubt RG would be purchasing a $300 button up shirt from Prada. Haha. Nice shirts though!

Not sure when it will arrive, but I did order the RG hat from Baron Hats. They say its a 3-4 month wait right now. So, hopefully get it by June/July.

Also got those El Dorado Ostrich leg boots. They are so very nice and comfortable. If anybody is looking for a good Ostrich leg boot that is almost a replica of what RG wore in Justified, that is the boot to get. I posted the link in a previous post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21