Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I could have sworn I saw an article a while back that said pretty much that.
Jim, i recall some later episode??, after his Ky life or something, where he indeed was wearing his new Boon hat.
When and what escapes me. Something with his child and reunited ex wife in Fla ?? i believe.
The lounge will solve it!!
B

Jim, i recall some later episode??, after his Ky life or something, where he indeed was wearing his new Boon hat.
When and what escapes me. Something with his child and reunited ex wife in Fla ?? i believe.
The lounge will solve it!!
B

I think that was the postscript scene in the final episode.

The one he wore most is a pretty iconic thing at this point. I'd understand if they went back to it.

james283126

New in Town
New hat is similar to his iconic hat, but I do NOT like the new hat band at all. Though it beats the hell out of that gaudy fedora from the finale.

Post # 20 That’s no more a Boss of the Plains than it’s a beanie.

Stetson, of all people, should know better.

1684010051454.png

While I agree they should have left that name only for the original style, it is (was) their trademarked name to use how they saw fit.

Not that the owners of trademarks always use them well.

1684010209826.png

1684010275573.png

james283126

New in Town
Teaser looks good, can’t wait. Not a huge fan of the color grading though and the new hat band is not as iconic as the first one, aside from that though looks very much like the original Carson as opposed to the Baron.

Movie2099

New in Town
Teaser looks good, can’t wait. Not a huge fan of the color grading though and the new hat band is not as iconic as the first one, aside from that though looks very much like the original Carson as opposed to the Baron.
I agree with you. I mentioned that in a previous post. I too, didn't like the new hat band. Just doesn't seem iconic like the previous one.

Movie2099

New in Town
I thought the opening two-parter was fantastic.

Anyone else watch it?
It was ok. It's definitely not like the original Justified. I'm glad to see Raylan G. is back, but so far two episodes in he's just been more of a side character. I know that's going to change in future episodes. So I'm not going rip on it completely after just two episodes.

I guess this book that the series is based on, did no include Raylan Givens at all. I saw a recent interview with Tim O. and he said they basically took all the good stuff from the book and wrote RG into the story.

David Manning

New in Town
Regarding the hat:
I wonder if the new hat is made by Baron again or a different company. Other than the hat band, about which I’m currently on the fence, I think the brim is flatter, not curling up on the sides, while still retaining it’s low dip in the front and the back.

What I can’t decide is whether or not the brim is shorter this time around. At times, it doesn’t look as wide as the 3 1/4” brim we saw in the OG series. Sometimes it does. I can’t decide if it’s legit less wide or if it’s an artifact of the new brim shape.

As for other wardrobe items:
I am fairly certain he’s wearing Lucchese Elgin Full Quill Ostrich Snip Toe boots. I do not think he’s in Levi’s 501 anymore. The darker pair we’ve seen seem to have artificial whiskering not typical with the 501 (but not unheard of), and on both the darker pair and lighter pair, I don’t see the extra placket that’s customary with buttons instead of zippers. You also can’t see any button shapes wearing through the denim. Yes, I know it’s a little weird looking that closely at the mans … pelvis area, but that’s about the only way to identify the jeans as we haven’t had a shot of the patch.

It’s possible the wardrobe designer put him in either the Levi’s 505 or the 514. The 505 fit is similar to the 501, but it has slightly roomier thighs, a zipper, and bigger/wider pockets. Also, when 1% stretch is included, one can easily size down and allow the stretch to assist in fit. This then makes them look more like the fit of the 501. I know this from personal experience.

The 514 is the exact same fit as the 501 except it has a slightly lower mid-rise, which seems to come screaming through with how he’s wearing the dark pair with the denim pearl snap shirt tucked in under the blazer. 514 also has a zip fly and there are washes available with artificial whiskering similar to what we see in the darker pair he’s wearing.

That said, these are just educated guesses, but it seems to me that, either way, the 501s are probably out, and Raylan has grown an affinity for zipper flies (again, could be wrong).

Movie2099

New in Town
Regarding the hat:
I wonder if the new hat is made by Baron again or a different company. Other than the hat band, about which I’m currently on the fence, I think the brim is flatter, not curling up on the sides, while still retaining it’s low dip in the front and the back.

What I can’t decide is whether or not the brim is shorter this time around. At times, it doesn’t look as wide as the 3 1/4” brim we saw in the OG series. Sometimes it does. I can’t decide if it’s legit less wide or if it’s an artifact of the new brim shape.

As for other wardrobe items:
I am fairly certain he’s wearing Lucchese Elgin Full Quill Ostrich Snip Toe boots. I do not think he’s in Levi’s 501 anymore. The darker pair we’ve seen seem to have artificial whiskering not typical with the 501 (but not unheard of), and on both the darker pair and lighter pair, I don’t see the extra placket that’s customary with buttons instead of zippers. You also can’t see any button shapes wearing through the denim. Yes, I know it’s a little weird looking that closely at the mans … pelvis area, but that’s about the only way to identify the jeans as we haven’t had a shot of the patch.

It’s possible the wardrobe designer put him in either the Levi’s 505 or the 514. The 505 fit is similar to the 501, but it has slightly roomier thighs, a zipper, and bigger/wider pockets. Also, when 1% stretch is included, one can easily size down and allow the stretch to assist in fit. This then makes them look more like the fit of the 501. I know this from personal experience.

The 514 is the exact same fit as the 501 except it has a slightly lower mid-rise, which seems to come screaming through with how he’s wearing the dark pair with the denim pearl snap shirt tucked in under the blazer. 514 also has a zip fly and there are washes available with artificial whiskering similar to what we see in the darker pair he’s wearing.

That said, these are just educated guesses, but it seems to me that, either way, the 501s are probably out, and Raylan has grown an affinity for zipper flies (again, could be wrong).
I'm pretty sure Baron Hats made this hat for the new series. Tim O. loves using Baron Hats so I would be surprised if it was a different company.

I agree with the boots. No doubt those are Lucchese boots. I can't get a good look at them to see if they're full quill ostrich or not. But that was my original guess months ago.

I do think they went away with RG's 501's. They don't look like 501's. He's wearing dark washes instead of the Stonewash and medium wash 501's he wore in the original series. He's also not wearing a tooled leather belt. Just a standard black leather.

One thing I do like that the wardrobe dept. added was pearl snap shirts. I really want to know which brand denim pearl snap he was wearing in episode two. It's a great looking shirt!

I would prefer the original RG look, but I get why some things might change. It has been 15 years so clothing tastes may have changed a bit. I'm guessing if they kept the story in Miami, he would be wearing a lot of rolled up long sleeve button ups with t-shirts underneath. They ended Justified with him wearing that at the end and then started the season wearing almost the exact same thing. But now he's in Detroit, so I guess that warrants a change in attire. :)

Movie2099

New in Town
In episode 3, I got a better look at Raylan's boots and jeans. They don't look to be full quill ostrich, they look like the Lucchese Crayton boots. Not saying they are the Craytons, but style is very similar. He was also wearing bootcut (looking) jeans. Not his normal Levi 501's. His hat shape seemed to change throughout the episode as well. Early on, the hat he was wearing, the brim seemed to be completely flat. Then later in the episode it seemed to have it's normal shape. It could've just been the angle of the camera and how he was wearing it in the scene. But not surprising if they have multiple copies of hat on set.

David Manning

New in Town
In episode 3, I got a better look at Raylan's boots and jeans. They don't look to be full quill ostrich, they look like the Lucchese Crayton boots. Not saying they are the Craytons, but style is very similar. He was also wearing bootcut (looking) jeans. Not his normal Levi 501's. His hat shape seemed to change throughout the episode as well. Early on, the hat he was wearing, the brim seemed to be completely flat. Then later in the episode it seemed to have it's normal shape. It could've just been the angle of the camera and how he was wearing it in the scene. But not surprising if they have multiple copies of hat on set.
I didn’t catch the boots. I’ll have to look closer on my rewatch. I think you’re right about the dark jeans though. They looked maybe like Levi’s 527 which are a low rise, slim, bootcut style. His lighter pair though looked more straight leg.

Still trying to figure this hat out though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24