Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Bet the Stetson was a stunt hat, one of those wool Marshals they started selling after the show became a hit.
Dave @ Garland Outlet said he sent them a fur felt Carson with the leather band after trimming the brim down.

Reactions: 007

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Maybe. This hat on the tarmac seems to be different. Different color, different brim shape.

More SPOILER ALERT!
Moments before
justified14.png

justified11.png

And... how it was on the ground!!
justified13.png

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Bet the Stetson was a stunt hat, one of those wool Marshals they started selling after the show became a hit.
Dave @ Garland Outlet said he sent them a fur felt Carson with the leather band after trimming the brim down.

Yeah - I'll bet that they did not shoot a hole in the hat that TO wore through filming all of these seasons. I much prefer the old hat to the new one. It is quite believable.

Shooter

New in Town
Hello folks

I have been following this thread as a spectator on and off over the years and think I can bring an element of closure to the mystery. As stated way back, Baron Hats in California claim to have made the original. I always questioned that as the version they sell (the RG) looks close but not quite right, even though this was backed up years ago in an interview with the series costume designer Patia Prouty. More recently, Olyphant himself has also confirmed it is indeed a Baron hat. This got me thinking...we never really got a good shot of the liner, but did get a glimpse of it now and then. It was always white with a gold oval and logo. Now Knudsen, who claim to have supplied the show with hats (though the suggestion is that this was more as souvenirs for guest actors), say the hat is definitely a Stetson but with the liner replaced so as to avoid any copyright/product placement issues. Makes sense, except that surely they would replace it with a plain liner without any sort of logo. So I went looking for a picture of a Baron Hats liner and...lo and behold, gold oval with a gold logo:

baronhats_zpstg4r8q03.jpg

Compare that to this screen shot from the last episode of season four:

baronhat_zpsg521qpwt.jpg

I am pretty confident in declaring this case closed.

So where does that leave us with the claim that HatCo supplied them with the Carson? It is certainly a close match, though the shape of the crease is by no means identical. This could possibly be answered by the picture below:

lat-laca0109backlotjustifiedpictur-01042011-002_zpsyzkzpxzh.jpg

The show used the main 'Hero' hat for most scenes, but also had at least one 'stunt' hat for the moments where it could have been damaged. Could this be where the Carson came in? It would be a significantly cheaper option and could quite easily be shaped to match the Baron. Either way, the claim that it was used has certainly boosted sales of the Carson over the last few years!

As for the Stetson Marshall seen in the final episode, I would like to think that, as well as being a very cheap hat to put a bullet hole in, by clearly showing the sweatband it may have been a tip of the hat (pun intended) to Stetson for marketing that hat as a tribute to the show in the first place.

To try and keep the mystery going, the one thing I have never been able to figure out is the brim width. Baron sell the RG with a 3 1/4" brim, which I believe matches the first season, but I have always thought it got noticeably shorter (and flatter) in seasons 2-4, then back to the original width for the last two seasons. My feeling is that something closer to 3" may be more accurate for the mid-period. Any thoughts?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
That liner doesn't look to be a Baron Hats liner. What looks to be letters is almost in the middle and the Baron Hats crest is much more "stronger".
Nice to know they took care of the "hero" hat.

My Raylan Tribute hat is a 4X Carson but I think the crown is too low based on all the looks I get of the original on screen. Who has the 6X Carson?
When I found mine, the model had been discontinued & all I could locate in leftover stock was a 4X. Not sure I'd paid the extra for 6X either.

Shooter

New in Town
I have both the 4X and 6X Carson and the crown height is the same, give or take. And you're right, his crown is higher. Or to be more precise, the center crown height is around the same but the side pinch (I'm sure there is a more technical term than that) is significantly higher than the Carson will allow. The closest I have found is a Stetson 5X that comes with a crown of about 4.75" which can then be lowered front and back but keep the height at the sides. It requires a substantial amount of work on both the crown and brim as it is a very traditional western shape off the shelf but ends up something like this:

Raylan's

Mine

Not perfect but getting there.

projectthx138

New in Town
Glad to see the talk starting back up over here............... :) A couple of months ago I became friends with Patia Prouty on Facebook and she has been REALLY KIND to me on helping me with ALL of Raylan's wardrobe and props............... :cool: I started up a Facebook page called "It was Justified" which I am covering all of Raylan's Wardrobe and Props. If you guys want to check it out just click on this............... https://www.facebook.com/everythingjustified/ The page is pretty new so I am still working on it. I do happen to have a shirt from the show but it's the stunt double's shirt as Tim/Raylan wears a men's medium and I wear a large so I bought the stunt guys shirt.................... :p I also have Raylan's custom made holster and a Glock 17 for it but this hasn't been added to the page yet but I hope this week I can get it posted. I also have the U.S. Marshal Badge and Raylan's first season badge holder which is a little darker than the vegetable tan leather one he wore when he switched from the Bianchi Special Agent Holster to the Custom Made Holster. As for the FAMOUS HAT, I was always under the impression that it was a Stetson Carson BUT I do know that hat changed through out the seasons. I will ask Patia if she can help us out on this BIG Mystery.................... :) So Glad to be part of this group and I look forward to talking to you guys.

Shooter

New in Town
A couple of months ago I became friends with Patia Prouty on Facebook and she has been REALLY KIND to me on helping me with ALL of Raylan's wardrobe and props

Why didn't I ever think of this? Hats off to you, that was a hell of an idea. Please do ask about the hat, my money is still on the main one being a Baron. Did anyone see this?

Seemingly Olyphant went in there a while back and signed a replica for their hat museum.

Great idea for the Facebook page too. I have the Levi's jacket he wore, the 'Maverick' distressed model that was made briefly circa 2010. Notable for it's pointed pocket flaps and hollow fasteners, and a totally different fit to their usual truckers.

projectthx138

New in Town
Why didn't I ever think of this? Hats off to you, that was a hell of an idea. Please do ask about the hat, my money is still on the main one being a Baron. Did anyone see this?

Seemingly Olyphant went in there a while back and signed a replica for their hat museum.

Great idea for the Facebook page too. I have the Levi's jacket he wore, the 'Maverick' distressed model that was made briefly circa 2010. Notable for it's pointed pocket flaps and hollow fasteners, and a totally different fit to their usual truckers.

Shooter, you don't know how long I have been trying to find this jacket.................. :confused: I swear I have been searching forever for it and it is one of the main pieces of wardrobe I am missing. Also so THANK YOU to all of you guys for welcoming me to this site. So far I am having a BLAST. :) Shooter (and everyone else), I will let you know what I find out about the hat........... ;)

vintage68

Practically Family
Oddly enough I never found the quality of Baron Hats to be very good, despite their being used for Justified. Also, they seem very expensive. Maybe I just had a bad apple. Does anyone else have a different experience with Baron? How did you find the quality of their hats?

Reactions: RJR

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Glad to see the talk starting back up over here............... :) A couple of months ago I became friends with Patia Prouty on Facebook and she has been REALLY KIND to me on helping me with ALL of Raylan's wardrobe and props............... :cool: I started up a Facebook page called "It was Justified" which I am covering all of Raylan's Wardrobe and Props. If you guys want to check it out just click on this............... https://www.facebook.com/everythingjustified/ The page is pretty new so I am still working on it. I do happen to have a shirt from the show but it's the stunt double's shirt as Tim/Raylan wears a men's medium and I wear a large so I bought the stunt guys shirt.................... :p I also have Raylan's custom made holster and a Glock 17 for it but this hasn't been added to the page yet but I hope this week I can get it posted. I also have the U.S. Marshal Badge and Raylan's first season badge holder which is a little darker than the vegetable tan leather one he wore when he switched from the Bianchi Special Agent Holster to the Custom Made Holster. As for the FAMOUS HAT, I was always under the impression that it was a Stetson Carson BUT I do know that hat changed through out the seasons. I will ask Patia if she can help us out on this BIG Mystery.................... :) So Glad to be part of this group and I look forward to talking to you guys.

Took a look at your Facebook page -- that's great collection of artifacts and info you've gathered! I loved JUSTIFIED and will miss seeing new episodes. Gotta find time to watch the whole series over again from the start. Pretty cool that you connected with the show's costume/wardrobe person. I've seen online interviews with her where she talked about the clothing on the show.

Thanks for sharing your stuff with other fans :)

projectthx138

New in Town
Took a look at your Facebook page -- that's great collection of artifacts and info you've gathered! I loved JUSTIFIED and will miss seeing new episodes. Gotta find time to watch the whole series over again from the start. Pretty cool that you connected with the show's costume/wardrobe person. I've seen online interviews with her where she talked about the clothing on the show.

Thanks for sharing your stuff with other fans :)

THANK YOU H Weinstein................. :) Unfortunately the things on my Facebook page are not all mine as MOST of this stuff is the ORIGINAL stuff from the show except for the Holster, Badge Holder and the Gunfighter Coat. Now with that being said I do own most of the same shirts that I have posted except I do own one of the original shirts worn on the show (red, black and white plaid Mossimo shirt). However my shirt was worn by the stunt double as Tim/Raylan wears a mens Medium and I wear a mens Large.

I hope everyone had a Happy & Safe Thanksgiving .................... :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I've never seen a Baron hat in person, so take this with a big grain of salt; but, I've always heard mixed things about them. IMHO, they have a substantial markup because of their "Hollywood" lineage.

The thing that always bothered be about a lot of their "classic reproductions," is that they're not actually super accurate reproductions.

They do have a really super John Wayne Calvary hat however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff