Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie2099

New in Town
I didn’t catch the boots. I’ll have to look closer on my rewatch. I think you’re right about the dark jeans though. They looked maybe like Levi’s 527 which are a low rise, slim, bootcut style. His lighter pair though looked more straight leg.

Still trying to figure this hat out though.
They also changed the color of his jean jacket. They went dark instead of medium/light. Clearly we can see they decided to use a lot of dark colors with RG for this one off series. I guess Detroit is just a dark place.... haha

RogerL

New in Town
I didn’t catch the boots. I’ll have to look closer on my rewatch. I think you’re right about the dark jeans though. They looked maybe like Levi’s 527 which are a low rise, slim, bootcut style. His lighter pair though looked more straight leg.

Still trying to figure this hat out though.
I’m having a real hard time with that hat. The brim size and the shape is not consistent. Sometimes it looks flat and sometimes shaped and I swear there’s a good half inch change in size.

David Manning

New in Town
I’m having a real hard time with that hat. The brim size and the shape is not consistent. Sometimes it looks flat and sometimes shaped and I swear there’s a good half inch change in size.
I think you might be wrong. The OG hat changed a bit over the life of the series, but this one seems to change over the course of a single episode!

M Brown

A-List Customer
I doubt they flipped the buckle on the Marshal's hatband...

I doubt they flipped the buckle on the Marshal's hatband.

It's more likely that they digitally flipped an image of the character looking right when they needed an image of the character looking left for the continuity and flow of the scene.
This ^ - it's a very common thing in the editing world...just like adding SFX of a Colt Single Action to thumb cocking the hammer on a Glock

ALso...the hat kinda looks like a Stetson Marshall

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
This ^ - it's a very common thing in the editing world...just like adding SFX of a Colt Single Action to thumb cocking the hammer on a Glock

ALso...the hat kinda looks like a Stetson Marshall
Bingo!!
I believe some pages back there is a video by some expert that substantiates the Marshall.
I guess he’s an expert….he made a video about it.
B

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^My personal opinion on all this and that what is his hat, is simple.

Man, that’s Raylan Givens, US Marshal, the famous guy who shot a man on a pier in Florida!!
How many times did we hear that said by soon to be shot dead bad guys?

A man like Raylan Givens, US Marshal surely would have more than just ONE hat.
He probably had a hat for every occassion, funerals (worn often), gun fights (worn more often).
Hell, considering his protection and service of the ladies he probably had one made by Beaver (worn most often).
I propose he wore Barons to fight and get dirty, Stetsons for gun fights and for the ladies his favorite, the Beaver.

Least i would if i was Raylan Givens, US Marshall, the guy that shot a man on a pier in Florida.
B

RogerL

New in Town
^^^My personal opinion on all this and that what is his hat, is simple.

Man, that’s Raylan Givens, US Marshal, the famous guy who shot a man on a pier in Florida!!
How many times did we hear that said by soon to be shot dead bad guys?

A man like Raylan Givens, US Marshal surely would have more than just ONE hat.
He probably had a hat for every occassion, funerals (worn often), gun fights (worn more often).
Hell, considering his protection and service of the ladies he probably had one made by Beaver (worn most often).
I propose he wore Barons to fight and get dirty, Stetsons for gun fights and for the ladies his favorite, the Beaver.

Least i would if i was Raylan Givens, US Marshall, the guy that shot a man on a pier in Florida.
B
Deputy US Marshal.

Who?

Practically Family
He’d best carry all those hats with him at all times.

One‘s situation can change rather quickly, and no hero would want to be caught wearing the wrong hat.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bingo!!
I believe some pages back there is a video by some expert that substantiates the Marshall.
I guess he’s an expert….he made a video about it.
B

No, that same guy then made another video after being corrected by the costume designer. It's in this thread.

YouTube clothes people are always clueless anyway.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
No, that same guy then made another video after being corrected by the costume designer. It's in this thread.

Thanks Al for the correction on the vid reference. I wasn’t aware.
But…the hat picked up off the ground by Raylan after he was shot in the last scene was a modern Stetson. No question about it. The sweatband is unmistakable.
B

Aloysius

Thanks Al for the correction on the vid reference. I wasn’t aware.
But…the hat picked up off the ground by Raylan after he was shot in the last scene was a modern Stetson. No question about it. The sweatband is unmistakable.
B

Yes, that was used as a throwaway prop.

Timothy Olyphant was a longtime customer of Baron in his personal life long before Justified.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that was used as a throwaway prop.

Timothy Olyphant was a longtime customer of Baron in his personal life long before Justified.
Ok i give.
I’m glad we are in agreement that Raylan wasn’t shot wearing a Baron when the series ended.
Obviously he wore more than one hat brand in the series.
B

Aloysius

Ok i give.
I’m glad we are in agreement that Raylan wasn’t shot wearing a Baron when the series ended.
Obviously he wore more than one hat brand in the series.
B

The costume designer said herself that they used Stetsons sometimes as props, but they weren't Raylan's hat per se, just disposable parts.

Raylan's hat was always a Baron, except for the fedora at the very end of the series.

Aloysius

It does have an “every time without exception except when it wasn’t” feel to the conversation. Maybe we can introduce Mr. Olyphant to a better hat maker?

Baron hats are really nice in my opinion.

And I’m not sure what your point is. This is a widespread practice in props, using a cheaper item for what gets destroyed I mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy