Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khaki on Kahki? The wife says no...

fishmeok

Vendor
Here's one. I was getting ready to go out and run errands and I put on a Khaki poplin shirt with khaki cotton pants (slightly different shades). My generally understanding bride refused to let me out, asking if I was going on safari, and when would I be back?

Thus the question: is khaki on khaki appropriate in the summer? I sure think so, what does the Lounge say?

Cheers
Mark

DerMann

Practically Family
My only warning is to make sure that the shirt and trousers do not match too closely, with the trousers preferably being darker.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
*ShoreRoadLady fondly remembers the time when, as a teenager, she donned olive green pleated slacks and a pale green (IIRC) blouse with massive shoulder pads and a brown braided belt, because she thought it looked sleek and professional* (hides head in shame) :eek: :eusa_doh:

My mother's tactfully worded opinion was that I should be careful to avoid looking like the delivery girl.

I would avoid khaki on khaki. I won't say it can't be done, but offhand I think it's too much of one color. To me, the outfit sounds like it's moving more toward "Delivery/Maintenance Guy", not "Golden Era Safari" (which is a look I wholeheartedly endorse, just maybe not *all* in khaki). :)

Pip

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
My brother quipped, "So you've decided to join the Afrika Korps have you?":eusa_doh:

Haha oh I had that one on holiday. Coupled with being 6'2" with blonde hair and blue eyes lol

But as the others have said, it depends on the shade of khaki. If its quite close...I'd say no...but at the end of the day, its individualism (which is a good thing these days) :)

Depends on how you do it, I'd say. I wear all khaki all the time, but I also accessorize it with brown Oxfords, A-2 and aviatorish-looking shades along with usually maintaining a very "military" attitude and posture.

ShoreRoadLady, are you sure we're not long-lost siblings?;)

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I, also, have had comments about it. No "safari" comments, mind you, just a remark about wearing stuff that was too close in color. I thought I was pretty careful to wear rather different colored clothing, but I had to defend my choice to a girl I was talking to even when my chinos were so light as to be almost white and my cotton/linen jacket is a much darker tan color.

She also didn't like my choice of pocket square (white ground, thin, widely spaced alternating stripes of charcoal and royal blue) with my shirt (very small/tight blue check).

I suppose there's no accounting for taste. [huh]

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'd have to agree with the wife on this one. The only time I go with khaki shirt and pants is when I'm wearing Indy Gear. And that's not very often. I try to make one or the other actually brown or olive. Even blue.

Mike K.

One Too Many
From "The Banana Republic Guide to Travel & Safari Clothing"
Page 27 - Should Khakis Match?
(back when they actually sold great travel/safari clothes)

To quote - "Should khakis match? No."
"...khaki derives from the Hindustani word for dust, and dust...comes in a wide variety of colors."

We're talking tan, beige, greenish tan, yellowish brown, sandstone, and pretty much every shade/hue in between true white and brown. Unless you want to appear in military uniform and look like Manuel Noriega or Fidel Castro then you better mix up your khakis. As others have mentioned, try combinations of dark and light shades, or different hues. Squint your eyes and look in the mirror - if the outfit looks uniform in color then go change. My wardrobe is full of khaki, and I use it as intended for rough and dirty field wear, but I always mix things up.

Use only slightly different colors/shades and you will have the safari look.
<---- see avatar

fishmeok

Vendor
Ah, see I thought the shades were different enough, but after thinking about it and reading everyone's posts it probably DID look like some sort of uniform. I'm never going to live this down...
cheers
Mark

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
I say it is OK,

BUT...

... only if while dressed that way you say Crikey a lot
and poke dangerous animals with a stick.

Alon

One of the Regulars
Notice the women of the Lounge (and wife) say "No", some of the men say "Yes" or "Maybe". Whose opinion do you value more or, to put it in another way, who do you care to impress more with your wardrobe when you step outside your door?

Alon

One of the Regulars
And, for the record, I say Yes if you're going to an Anglo-Boer War reenactment event and have a pith helmet ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda