Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khakis, Leather Jacket and Hat

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
While I love the Indiana Jones films, it makes me angry that because of this films, an awesome combo of clothes will forever be associated in the public's mind with one movie character; thus, if you were Khakis, a bomber jacket and a fedora, which to me is a wonderful combination, most will think you're in costume as Indiana Jones. It sucks.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree! Stuff 'em! I wear mine Khaki/Leather combo (when it's cool enough!) and if anybody says anything "Indy", I act puzzled and respond "Indiana Jones!? Can you say Howard Hughes!"

We all know they secretly admire our sense of style, courage and self-confidence anyway, right? Right!

-dixon cannon

Either you wear what you like, or you're being held captive.

Read the posts all over the Lounge!

Wear a suit get comments, wear a tux, get comments, wear a hat - comments, wear this or that get comments.

The common sheepel think thy're individualistic, but they are nothing but herd animals getting sheared by the politicians and the corporations.

Let the cookie cutter people bask in their shallow, vapid lives!
They fear individuality and their fear makes them hope to shame anyone outside their so called norm.

You should at least have a chance to live your own life, not theirs.

Down with the Infant King and his Uncle the Regency!

docneg

One of the Regulars
I wear that combination quite often and I know all about the Indiana Jones comments (great observation about Howard Hughes, Dixon Cannon!). The funny thing is: That is exactly what our telephone installer, TV repairman, and various deliverymen wore when I was growing up. Not exactly globe-trotting archaeologists!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Does the bomber jacket and fedora have to be brown? Because once you change those the look can shift pretty solidly away from the perception of Indy, I think.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I dress like this a lot but I make sure to mix up the color palette, ie: khaki and brown hat with the jacket is too much. I might wear a grey hat and dark shirt or turtleneck instead.

I really don't get an Indy vibe at all off my favorite jackets, the A-1 and A-2.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
Does the bomber jacket and fedora have to be brown? Because once you change those the look can shift pretty solidly away from the perception of Indy, I think.

Nope that doesn't work..I just wore a black leather jacket (not even close to an A2 in cut), a black fedora, dark blue trousers, dress shoes and a pale blue kinda western shirt with pearl snap buttons the other day..gues what comment I got from three idiots on the street:rolleyes:

It was the whistling the tune, one yelled "Indy" and one made the whip..

So, in conclusion: wear whatever you want..hopefully sometime it will get too cold and all the idiots die off (oh wait that was bees..dammit)

Fashion`s

Must are fashions be dictated by the movies?Before this Indy person arrived,I am sure some folks were wearing brown fedoras and leather jackets! Geez us,it has been done to death...Wear what you want, to hell with the sideways wearing ball cap,jeans down around there knees people.

vintage68

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Either you wear what you like, or you're being held captive.

Read the posts all over the Lounge!

Wear a suit get comments, wear a tux, get comments, wear a hat - comments, wear this or that get comments.

The common sheepel think their individualistic, but they are nothing but herd animals getting sheared by the politicians and the corporations.

Let the cookie cutter people bask in their shallow, vapid lives!
They fear individuality and their fear makes them hope to shame anyone outside their so called norm.

You should at least have a chance to live your own life, not theirs.

Down with the Infant King and his Uncle the Regency!

Good point. Do ANYTHING out of the ordinary, and you WILL get comments. Comes with the territory. People are pack animals for the most part, and doing or wearing anything different will be noticed and seen instinctually as a threat.

I work at a local university and I routinely see young women and men wearing pajama bottoms and slippers to campus, which we all know is one of the signs of the apocalypse. Most of the other kids dont bat an eye. So go figure.

Torpedo

One Too Many
One must admit that wearing a set of clothes close to what Indy wears is asking for the Indy comment. You must carry on with it. Yes, the combination was used before, but Indy being such an iconic figure, people at large associates that ensemble with him.

I agree that substituting a major element helps - let's say, avoiding the khaki shirt, or wearing blue jeans; and at least demostrates you are not on your way to a Indy fans convention, or that you are not trying to dress like Indy (NOT that there is anything bad with this, either, if you like it).

Anyway, as some have noted, you will still get the remark, even if your look is waaaay off the Indy ensemble. About any wide brimmed fedora, whatever its colour, will prompt the Indy comment from some people.

So do as you like.

If you go thru the "Dumbest Comment" thread you begin to realize that much of the public tends to make some remarkably poor connections when it comes to fedoras and classic outerwear.

An odd synapse fires and something really stupid comes out of their mouth. Makes me think of Lex Luthor's comments on Otis in Superman, about how it's a wonder Otis's brain can generate enough power to move that body.

The question is why would we place a value on the comments of the great unwashed?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I got the Indy comment a week ago when I was in a grey hat, blue shirt and beige suit with blue pocket square. Shows that it's unavoidable when you wear any fedora. On the other hand, I get it less when dressed like that than I used to when I wore khakis, leather jacket and dark tan fedora.

The ways to minimise the comments while carrying off this look are: change the colours of one or more of the elements. I very often wear a grey hat and black trousers with a brown jacket and get far fewer comments. I recently went to wearing khakis, leather jacket and fedora (again as I stopped it for this reason) but a light blue shirt rather than a khaki one. Again, fewer comments (it helped that I was at a jazz club where interesting dressing was more accepted).

So either, be thick skinned, have witty comebacks (there are plenty on the dumbest comment thread) or change some of the colours.

railroad detect

New in Town
Khaki and a leather jacket.

I often wear khaki pants with a black mock turtleneck and a 1930's style Truck Driver leather jacket from the Cockpit. This jacket is now discontinued but is one of the finest leather jackets i have ever owned.

This look was popular with Clark Gable and George C. Scott.

THe weather out this way tends to be warm enough that I can only wear my A2 style leather jacket in the winter and mostly on cold nights.

I do have a lighter cloth jacket that's in the style similar to an A2 that gets a lot more wear. I tend to wear chinos more and the hat is on 90+ percent of the time.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Slightly :eek:fftopic:
but I can't wait for the weather to get cold enough, so I can wear my Irvin and hear comments like:
"Hey, where did you park your Spitfire?"

...at least they know what kind of jacket it is!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy