Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

knitted curlers

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Or you could just use snaps like the regular pillow rollers/rag rollers that are on the market.

Now that's a clever idea. Maybe self-adhesive velcro tape would work too, or would the hair get caught in the little hooks?
I could imagine that cotton fabric would take too long to dry, though. Synthetic materials would probably work better.

Ohairas, I didn't notice the girl has a knitted one in her hair too. It looks a bit like finger-knit, you know, kind of using your own hand as a loom, like we used to do in school!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
leaette said:
joann fabrics has classes. check them out.

i love crocheting. i do it every day. i'm now making scarves to send to iraq for marines. i feel like a red cross girl of ww2. hahaha. i'm going to "knit my bit". ;)

Also, look up your local yarn shop. There is probably a shop in your area that sells quality yarns, not the acrylic stuff at Joanns and Walmart. Walking into a quality yarn shop is like walking into the most sensuous explosion of tactile color. I just love it. Anyway, most yarn shops offer classes as well :) Plus you get a cooler atmosphere and some rockin' yarn!

Also, Leaette, I am confused. If three rows of knitting is one row of crochet, isn't it slower? If in the time it takes a crocheter to make one row, a knitter can make 3, that would mean that crocheting is 1/3 slower, not 3 times faster. Right? Unless that one row of crochet is as substantial as the 3 knit rows.

Josephine

One Too Many
GoldLeaf said:
Also, Leaette, I am confused. If three rows of knitting is one row of crochet, isn't it slower? If in the time it takes a crocheter to make one row, a knitter can make 3, that would mean that crocheting is 1/3 slower, not 3 times faster. Right? Unless that one row of crochet is as substantial as the 3 knit rows.

I believe because crochet rows are "thicker/wider/taller" Say it takes 3 rows of knitting to make a 1/2 inch of a scarf, it would only take 1 row of crocheting to make that 1/2 inch, but since it's only one row, it would take 1/3 the time.

(I'm making up the 1/2 inch for the example :) )

leaette

A-List Customer
what i mean is this: i looked up online on how to convert a knitted pattern into a crocheted pattern. it said that for every 3 rows of knit, you do 1 row of crochet. so you only have to do 1/3 of the work to get the same results in knit. it's 1/3 faster.
i hope that makes sense.

leaette

A-List Customer
GoldLeaf said:
Also, look up your local yarn shop. There is probably a shop in your area that sells quality yarns, not the acrylic stuff at Joanns and Walmart. Walking into a quality yarn shop is like walking into the most sensuous explosion of tactile color. I just love it. Anyway, most yarn shops offer classes as well :) Plus you get a cooler atmosphere and some rockin' yarn!

you should check out joanns now. they have really nice natural fiber yarns. it's not all acrylic anymore. i love the new bamboo yarns. so soft.
i agree with you though, yarn stores are amazing and i love to touch everything. but i can't afford those high prices. i wish i could though.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
leaette said:
joann fabrics has classes. check them out.

i love crocheting. i do it every day. i'm now making scarves to send to iraq for marines. i feel like a red cross girl of ww2. hahaha. i'm going to "knit my bit". ;)

I didn't know that!! Thank you Leaette!!! I know last year when my hubby was in Iraq, it snowed where he was...and I sure wish I could have knit faster, or knit them some caps.. instead I found a great deal at Sears and got a bunch of Carhart knit caps for super cheap! But for my other Marine friends that are deployed and for when hubby goes out again, this would be much more fun to do. Now to find a time when hubby is home so he can watch my daughter when I go to class! Thanks for the info!!!:D

~*Red*~

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:

Good to know! I will check these places out! And Goldleaf, you really described that deliciously!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
leaette said:
what i mean is this: i looked up online on how to convert a knitted pattern into a crocheted pattern. it said that for every 3 rows of knit, you do 1 row of crochet. so you only have to do 1/3 of the work to get the same results in knit. it's 1/3 faster.
i hope that makes sense.

Ah, HA! You confirmed my suspicions, thanks. It made perfect sense!

I know what you mean about the expensive yarn. I made an exception with the hat and sweater the baby is coming home in. I spent $13 a skein for a beautiful verigated merino and silk blend. I bought Lorna's Laces in Bittersweet.

Sorry, I will stop hijacking this thread, now :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleGrace86