Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

knitted curlers

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Those are so rad! I only know how to knit scarves.. so really I know how to knit..and sometimes I can purl...What I really need to do is take a class and have a hands on session so I can really learn how to knit so I can make these for myself!! Oh and the Christmas gifts these would make! woohoo!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
These are awesome!!
I don't knit either, but I do crochet. I think we can do it Leaette, should be pretty easy! Thanks!

I never found what she stuffed them with.. poly fill? Perhaps just wadded yarn?
Nikki

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Those are really neat and I bet they would be much more comfortable to sleep in than plastic rollers. But wouldn't they take forever to dry if you put damp hair in them? I guess I'll have to do some experimentation.

leaette

A-List Customer
my friend who posted this link said she stuffed hers with extra bits of yarn. the website says to stuff with polyfill.
another girl on the forum said that making these with 100% washable wool yarn would be best because wool heats up when wet.
i know that you can get washable wool at joanns. i just saw it there a few days ago. i forget who makes it. i think it's either lionbrand or moda-dea (i think that's how it's spelled).

the sewn ones are cute too.
i wonder which ones would work best?

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Red- You can do it! I taught myself to knit from those beginner books you can buy in craft stores. There are also GREAT websites out there now that have video on how to do different stitches, its great! Reading patterns still baffles me a little sometimes, but I usually figure it out :)

I started with a couple scarves, then moved on to baby blankets that introduced one new stitch each time - like a yarn over, or knit two together. I found as long as I was only trying to learn one new one at a time, it wasn't so bad :)

I recently taught myself how to knit in the round on 4 double point needles, which is what it sounds like these curlers would need. If you are a beginner yet, I would wait a bit to learn to knit in the round. It took me several tries to get it figured out, and even then, the hat I made has some "ladders" in it. Nothing too obvious, but a beginner mistake.

With projects this small, you can't use round knitting needles, it has to be the double point needles.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
Oh what a great idea! Definitely going to try to sew some. If I get cheeky, I may try to crochet some, but I'm not so great at it. Knitting, unfortunately, is out of the question.

Thank you so much for posting such a great link!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShrinkingViolet said:
I'd try making up some if only I was better at making buttonholes!

Or you could just use snaps like the regular pillow rollers/rag rollers that are on the market.

Blondie

Practically Family
Ok, for those of us who can't knit or sew, who is going to take orders ?
A side business for one of you lucky gals that is crafty !
You could do custom orders to match our PJ's lol , well just an idea !

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
Cute idea Blondie, I've already sent this out to my craft group, We have workshops on different things and this would be a great project for us. I let you gals know how they turn out and if we have any extra sets to give away.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Thanks Goldleaf! I'm going to work on purling this next time. One day I'll make more than a scarf! My husband got me a few beginner books for knitting and crocheting one Christmas, and it took me awhile, but I figured out how to cast on and knit. I actually finished a couple of scarves. and they weren't too bad! Right now, I have about 4 other ones I have been working on for... oh about 3 years..lol ...I find if they are for adults, they have to be much larger and it takes me much longer to get them done and I get bored, or I find I'm all tensed up when I'm knitting. Isn't it supposed to help you relax? ha ha ha..anyhow... last winter I did find some websites with little videos, and those do help. But the truth is, I really am sad when it comes to learning these kinds of things, it takes me so long to figure it out. But if I have hands on help, it takes to my brain right away! And of course I am the ONLY person in my family to have this hobby.
:rolleyes: hee hee

GoldLeaf said:
Red- You can do it! I taught myself to knit from those beginner books you can buy in craft stores. There are also GREAT websites out there now that have video on how to do different stitches, its great! Reading patterns still baffles me a little sometimes, but I usually figure it out :)

I started with a couple scarves, then moved on to baby blankets that introduced one new stitch each time - like a yarn over, or knit two together. I found as long as I was only trying to learn one new one at a time, it wasn't so bad :)

I recently taught myself how to knit in the round on 4 double point needles, which is what it sounds like these curlers would need. If you are a beginner yet, I would wait a bit to learn to knit in the round. It took me several tries to get it figured out, and even then, the hat I made has some "ladders" in it. Nothing too obvious, but a beginner mistake.

With projects this small, you can't use round knitting needles, it has to be the double point needles.

leaette

A-List Customer
red: you should try crocheting. it's much faster than knitting. for every 3 rows of knitting, that translates into 1 row of single crochet. so it's 3 times faster.
i can crochet a scarf in about 2 hrs or so.

Rainbow

Familiar Face
Great idea....

These are a great idea. I'm with you Blondie, I can't knit or sew. If anyone does decide to take orders, let me know. I would love to have a set of these.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
leaette said:
red: you should try crocheting. it's much faster than knitting. for every 3 rows of knitting, that translates into 1 row of single crochet. so it's 3 times faster.
i can crochet a scarf in about 2 hrs or so.

Ha ha ha..One day!!! I've been told the same thing before. I have yet to translate what I read on the page of the crochet "how to" book onto my crochet hook. For some reason I was able to to make the loops knitting and not crocheting. I try again every winter when I get into my "crafting" mode.. it still hasn't worked. I really need someone to show me. ha ha ha...it's like I need a translator or something!!:rolleyes: lol

leaette

A-List Customer
joann fabrics has classes. check them out.

i love crocheting. i do it every day. i'm now making scarves to send to iraq for marines. i feel like a red cross girl of ww2. hahaha. i'm going to "knit my bit". ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn