Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knitters, check this out!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
This site has some of the greatest vintage pattern kits I have ever seen! that come with all the yarn so you don't have to faff about trying to substitute 2ply with something and spend hours knitting a million tension squares trying to get it right.
I am in LOVE with this beaded cardigan and these sweaters..... saving up for a kit as we speak.
http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/
137.jpg

501.jpg

135.jpg

101.jpg

Caledonia

Practically Family
Thanks for the link Eve! Those are truly spectacular. I've got a load of vintage patterns to knit but haven't worked out how to adapt the yarn size or the needle size. I might just transfer to one of these. :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Oh, I love White Lies Designs! And she has things that are gasp! larger than a 40 inch bust.

Her stuff is amazing. I've been wanting to knit one for awhile.

Vive les retro knitters!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Caledonia said:
Thanks for the link Eve! Those are truly spectacular. I've got a load of vintage patterns to knit but haven't worked out how to adapt the yarn size or the needle size. I might just transfer to one of these. :)

I know what you mean Caledonia, I have really struggled to substitute yarn in vintage patterns. If you are interested this is a good modern vintage inspired pattern that I am knitting at the moment it's the fourth one down called Lottie, I'm working it in Peacock/Teal green and I have left off the front pockets. I have the Right Front and the sleeves to do and then I will try and post a pic of the finished item.http://www.englishyarns.co.uk/jaeger_jb40.html

My next project in line is a gorgeous new vintage design in this seasons copy of Interweave Knits magazine (you can get this as an import from the U.S at Borders) it's a design called The Gatsby Girl pullover and is just LOVELY. It's also knitted in Rowan Cashsoft DK which means you don't have to worry about yarn substitution and there is a great range of colours to choose from. It has a picot bottom hem then a corset inspired middle section of ribbed cable and 3/4 length sleeves. The most lovely thing about it is that it has a row of little buttons across the top of the shoulder. I am not at my computer at the moment I am at my "in-laws" or I would post a picture of it. I will put one up as soon as I can.

Have you ever picked up any of the Vogue knitting magazines? The ones from the 40's and 50's are stuffed with great patterns.
Sorry I'm ranting now aren't I.....anything to do with knitting and I'm off!!!lol

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Tourbillion said:
And I never learned to knit, sigh!

I'm sure you would be good at it once you got the basics, after reading about the repair work you do on vintage lace I'm sure you'd be a naturalTourbillion!
It's never too late to start!!:)
And if you do there are lots of ladies here that could help with on-line advice:)

magneto

Practically Family
Those are wonderful! (sigh...) I work for a knitting pattern publisher and am suggesting we do some fitted/peplum sweaters for this winter...we're also doing a lot of work on designing good properly fitted patterns for the XL/XXL market...no, you can't just make the whole thing bigger all over, as certain publishers seem to think...[huh]

Glaistig

New in Town
magneto said:
I work for a knitting pattern publisher

Ooh la la, I so agree with Eve, what a fabulous job! I'm green with envy.

I'm thinking about ordering some patterns from Iva Rose Patterns. I'm in love with the 1920s patterns in this booklet. I bought two booklets from Karen's Variety last week. She has some vintage patterns from the '30s and '40s that you can immediately download as pdf files. There are a lot of nice free pattern sites too, like Severina's knitting blog.

*sigh* There are so many great vintage patterns out there and not enough time to knit! :(

ricki

Familiar Face
Glaistig said:
Ooh la la, I so agree with Eve, what a fabulous job! I'm green with envy.

I'm thinking about ordering some patterns from Iva Rose Patterns. I'm in love with the 1920s patterns in this booklet. I bought two booklets from Karen's Variety last week. She has some vintage patterns from the '30s and '40s that you can immediately download as pdf files. There are a lot of nice free pattern sites too, like Severina's knitting blog.

*sigh* There are so many great vintage patterns out there and not enough time to knit! :(
Great links! There is at least one pattern in Severina's blog that I want to make, plus a few others I'd consider buying if I ever thought I would get around to making them. I already have a few knitting books and magazines that are getting dusty.

Rosie

One Too Many
magneto said:
Those are wonderful! (sigh...) I work for a knitting pattern publisher and am suggesting we do some fitted/peplum sweaters for this winter...we're also doing a lot of work on designing good properly fitted patterns for the XL/XXL market...no, you can't just make the whole thing bigger all over, as certain publishers seem to think...[huh]

:eek:fftopic: Oh, thank you. :eusa_clap Another thing that I've always wished they would do was make patterns/clothes in shapes, like apple, hourglass, pear. Women who wear the same sizes but are shaped differently fit clothes differently. A sweater made for a size 20 apple shaped woman will fit differently than a size 20 hourglass shaped woman.

Back on topic: will these sweaters work with pre knitted material that is sewn together rather than knitted?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
AllaboutEve said:
http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/preview/2006_fall.asp

It's the one called the Gatsby Girl Pullover and there are 2 detail pictures that you can click on by it.....just gorgeous....sigh....

I was eyeing that sweater too! But instead am going to run with this vintage inspired knit right from Interweaves 2003 issue. It's called "Remembering Honey" I love it!

honey1.gif

Not the best picture, but it has been a dream to knit so far.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
magneto said:

Wow! That job does sound amazing, but very tough! I have a friend who is writing a knitting book and she has the toughest time getting the larger sizes and even just writing patterns from her amazing designs.

But I admire your work! Let us know when some of htose fitted peplum sweaters come out! ;)

magneto

Practically Family
Miss Dottie said:
Wow! That job does sound amazing, but very tough! I have a friend who is writing a knitting book and she has the toughest time getting the larger sizes and even just writing patterns from her amazing designs.

But I admire your work! Let us know when some of htose fitted peplum sweaters come out! ;)

:eek:fftopic: Thanks! :) Oh yes, it's hard...we've started doing some patterns in 2 versions, one including sizes XS-XL and one for 1X-4X...my boss does the hard number crunching and it took us months to get it all written.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Miss Dottie said:
I was eyeing that sweater too! But instead am going to run with this vintage inspired knit right from Interweaves 2003 issue. It's called "Remembering Honey" I love it!

honey1.gif

Not the best picture, but it has been a dream to knit so far.

I love your avatar Miss Dottie, it's great!
That sweater looks gorgeous and what a luxurious choice of yarn, I love the colour too. How far have you got?
Is it from the Summer issue?

We must all post pics of our finished knitted things when they are done, it would help speed us along too:) Does anyone else here use Bamboo needles they have changed my life....so light and lovely!!

I have too many projects I want to do now, I need to finish my Jaegar Cardigan, and then knit the Gatsby Girl and inbetween I am starting a lace weight shawl for my best friend as a Christmas gift.

I think I am obsessed.......:D

Glaistig

New in Town
AllaboutEve said:
Does anyone else here use Bamboo needles they have changed my life....so light and lovely!!

I adore bamboo needles over any other needle, even (especially?) Addis. I find that bamboo needles have just the perfect amount of friction.

Take a look at this cute free 1930s Three Hour Sweater pattern. I love the booklet language: "Fascinating! And most popular. Three hours of knitting and presto —you have a smart garment your friends are sure to admire." Three hours, huh? :) :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran