Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Quake - 7/29 11:42 5.8 magnitude

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
As someone who has never been in an earthquake, what does a "rolling" quake entail?
Ever ride the subway, or a train, going pretty fast without holding on? Now, picture the ENTIRE world around you moving like that subway or train. That's about it.

millbrookmusic

Familiar Face
Mr. Lucky said:
Ever ride the subway, or a train, going pretty fast without holding on? Now, picture the ENTIRE world around you moving like that subway or train. That's about it.

Exactly. I'll take a rolling quake any day over the jolting kind. I was in Burbank and it indeed was rolling but my mum in West Covina (closer to the epicenter) said it started off with a huge deafening roar and was alot more "jolty" than it seemed to be for me, 30 miles farther out. I guess those living along the edges of tectonic plates inadvertently become quake connoisseurs. :)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I can really relate. Believe it or not we have had a few earthquakes here near Cleveland Ohio. A fairly severe one in '86, about a 4.9 I think and a good jolt a few years ago. Seems there is a fault from somewhere in the Appalachians that extends up into Lake Erie and we get 3s to about 3.5s or so fairly often. Hope we never to go beyond a 5 or so on the scale! :eek:

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
My little nephew had just gone into surgery when it happened. :eek:
It was a simple surgery, and he came out fine, but talk about bad timing!!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:

Exactly. It was so surreal. I'd never been in a rolling quake before and it felt like the wall behind me was rippling. So strange!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Its interesting to read how everyone experienced the quake. I've only felt one earthquake- a 3.0ish that struck the Brevard fault in NC late at night. I passed it off as my sister jumping around in her room, but it wasn't until later that I realized it had felt unusual. The next day when I read the paper, I realized it had been a quake, because it had felt like the house was rolling.

Glad to know there was only minor damage & everyone came out ok!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pigeon toe said:
Exactly. It was so surreal. I'd never been in a rolling quake before and it felt like the wall behind me was rippling. So strange!

They actually might have...a friend's mom was sitting at a signal on a stretch of deserted road when the Loma Prieta quake hit. She said she could see a wave coming up the street about 2' high in the pavement. Post-quake - no cracks or breaks in it. When we had the one in LA in 86, a couple of the guys in a night class I was in were standing outside a hanger at El Toro NAS having coffee and same thing - they could see these ripples coming up the runway. They said they had just enough time to hit the deck and hold on.

Rolling quakes are more side to side motion, sort of like getting into a boat at a dock. The motion's more subdued. The others are a sharper, all up and down motion.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very gentle one here in Tarzana, the least violent 5+ earthquake I've ever felt.

Now what's up with the avatars? Mind you, I don't mind seeing Neecerie's face under every post, but it does seem a bit out of the ordinary.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
RIOT said:
So what does one wear for Quake season? lol

Roller skates.

Earthquakes don't bother me.

I was in San Diego when it hit: I'd just called the main office in Azusa and the Agnes, our receptionist, transferred my call to Michelle. Michelle always answers on the first ring, but this time she answered on the fourth ring and immediately asked me, "Did you feel that?" Apparently, it hit just as Agnes forwarded my call to Michelle.
"Feel what," I answered.
We went back and forth like this a couple times, and in mid sentence I said, "Oh! There it is!" as it rolled from the north end of the warehouse to the south end.

It was about ten seconds from the time she felt it and I felt it. Actually, I didn't really feel it, so much as I heard it roll by.

I came home to the San Gabriel Valley to find a few CDs had fallen off the shelf. Other than one broken case, all is fine. :)

Lee

Shaken, but not stirred.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Tony in Tarzana said:
Very gentle one here in Tarzana, the least violent 5+ earthquake I've ever felt.

Now what's up with the avatars? Mind you, I don't mind seeing Neecerie's face under every post, but it does seem a bit out of the ordinary.

haha....I assure you, I am not cloning myself...

I had this happen once...and the 'fix' ...since its only you and not everyone...is to log out of the lounge, empty the browser cache for good measure, quite the browser...and start again....

lady eel

New in Town
I had a nice jolt where I am...lost some mugs, more got chipped :(
I hate earthquakes
earthquake-1.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
mercy. after these posts one would have to drag me kicking and screaming to california. Give me good ole hurricanes any day. At least I have time to run for it.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I was at work in Irvine on the phone with a customer. I thought it was a big truck or construction at first so I stayed on the phone. After a few seconds I realized it wasn't stopping so I told the man on the phone that there was an earthquake so I should go. I forgot that he was in Redlands so he felt it too, just after I mentioned it to him. So surreal :) Aside from destruction and injury I love earthquakes. My absolute first was the San Francisco area earthquake in '89. I was outside and I saw the ground roll.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Audrey Horne said:
I love earthquakes. My absolute first was the San Francisco area earthquake in '89. I was outside and I saw the ground roll.

Me too.

My first earthquake was the Sylmar quake of 1971. I was 4 months old and my mother just watched over my in my crib. ;)

and Earthquakes vs other natural disasters....we have had -maybe- 6 major ones in the LA area in my 40 year lifetime.....how often do you have hurricanes again? ;)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I can really relate. Believe it or not we have had a few earthquakes here near Cleveland Ohio. A fairly severe one in '86, about a 4.9 I think and a good jolt a few years ago. Seems there is a fault from somewhere in the Appalachians that extends up into Lake Erie and we get 3s to about 3.5s or so fairly often. Hope we never to go beyond a 5 or so on the scale! :eek:
Oddly enough, after moving to L.A. just in time for Landers/Big Bear, then experiencing Northridge, we moved back to Buffalo for six months. On the day before were coming BACK to Cali, Buffalo had a 5.2 temblor! In Buffalo! I think that qualifies as ironic.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
and Earthquakes vs other natural disasters....we have had -maybe- 6 major ones in the LA area in my 40 year lifetime.....how often do you have hurricanes again? ;)
We get BOTH earthquakes and typhoons at least several times a year :eusa_doh:
:rolleyes: lol lol lol

I am glad to know that property damage was minimal, and no casualties.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Lucky said:
Oddly enough, after moving to L.A. just in time for Landers/Big Bear, then experiencing Northridge, we moved back to Buffalo for six months. On the day before were coming BACK to Cali, Buffalo had a 5.2 temblor! In Buffalo! I think that qualifies as ironic.
No doubt! I suspect Niagara Falls was probably the result of an earthquake long ago. The "official" explanation is glaciers,...but that seems to be a presumption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy