Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace-up Shoes with White Tie?

George A.Bailey

New in Town
Understanding the impossibility in the modern world to purchase traditional mens evening pumps (or at least at a price affordable to the average middle-class chap), I have unfortunately being reduced to wearing my lace-up Oxfords with White Tie attire.

I would feel more comfortable knowing that this choice of footwear for full-dress isn't a modern innovation, and rather a semi-acceptable style that originated a good number of years ago (hopefully before the 50's...).

Anyone have any knowledge?

ssfilez

New in Town
It is acceptable to do some experiments, George A.Bailey. It would have been nice if you uploaded a photo of two of your attire so we could pitch in some ideas. I was trying to picture out your description and I think it is fine, in my opinion. If you think you can confidently carry yourself wearing your planned outfit then nothing can go wrong.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I know I've occasionally seen period pictures or catalog illustrations of rather distinguished looking types wearing lace ups with tails, but I know in England the rules governing formal wear are (and always have been) rather more rigid than in the States. I personally don't like slip-on shoes in general, so pumps are something I don't wear. White tie or not I just can't take myself in patent leather shoes with a bow on 'em!

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Derbies:

derby+shoes.jpeg

Oxfords:

-!Hobbs%20Dauphine%20Oxford%20Lace%20Up%20Shoes%20Black%207--371667154.jpg

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
In case anyone IS looking for reasonably-priced Opera Pumps, I got mine from Brooks Bros. during their Semi-Annual Sale (or whatever it is) and they were SUBSTANTIALLY marked down, at least $200 less than retail.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone make those button top style shoes any more? They were pretty visible in that picture from about 1924 that I posted a while back. Also, what is that style 16K07 in the image? Is that a lace up oxford?

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Does anyone make those button top style shoes any more? They were pretty visible in that picture from about 1924 that I posted a while back. Also, what is that style 16K07 in the image? Is that a lace up oxford?

They only make them bespoke (from the shoemakers) or to order (from that Japanese site but only day dress ones). You can probably find a vintage pair but they are as rare as hens teeth...

The correct galosh would be black or midnight blue silk or black, midnight blue or dark grey wool/suede. Buttons should be covered silk or flat/domed horn. I think in this case the leather must be patent to distingush them from day dress button boots.

16K07 is a lace-up oxford with flat silk ribbon laces.

Pardon my ignorance but wouldn't wearing a pair of spats cover the laces?

You should not wear spats over evening shoes as they are day wear. Button boots with galosh tops (that are a part of the shoe) are a different beast altogether.

Last edited:

JonF

New in Town
Slip-ons?

[Edit: Just noticed I'd revived an ancient thread here. Sorry!]

Hello Gents,

I have a question relating to this topic. The basics - I'm going to a white tie event in the UK, but am currently in Vienna and am looking for suitable shoes here. Now this is in general a pretty good place for quality menswear, but the paradigms seem to differ a little.

I found a pair of patent leather slip-on shoes - very nice and simple and unadorned, as white tie shoes should be - and I have to say I like them quite a lot. I can't imagine what patent leather shoes would be good for if not white tie (as these are certainly not sport dancing shoes), but I've never heard of slip-on shoes being acceptable for white tie.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers,

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran