Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies: Is your spouse/S.o. into vintage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are fortunate to be married to a fine vintage gentleman, Mrs. Moustache. Welcome to the Lounge from me. No, my husband is not into vintage. Quite the opposite, he is 28 and dresses and tries to act as if he is 18. Whenever he sees me, which is a couple times a year, he likes everything I wear, however; who wouldn't?

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
No, he doesn't "get it". I did ask my sister what she thought about me dressing vintage, thinking it would make her laugh ( she was in a bad mood and needed to) and give her a chance to make fun of me. Instead she said "I think that would really look good on you!" At least I have some support!

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
You are fortunate to be married to a fine vintage gentleman, Mrs. Moustache. Welcome to the Lounge from me. No, my husband is not into vintage. Quite the opposite, he is 28 and dresses and tries to act as if he is 18. Whenever he sees me, which is a couple times a year, he likes everything I wear, however; who wouldn't?
Is he in the military? My s/o is also 28 (in a few days) and wears grubby t-shirts and RedWings jerseys. He owns 1 modern suit, and only bought that because he had to. Dressing up for him is a polo shirt from Aeropostale.

BegintheBeguine

VargasGirl said:
Is he in the military? My s/o is also 28 (in a few days) and wears grubby t-shirts and RedWings jerseys. He owns 1 modern suit, and only bought that because he had to. Dressing up for him is a polo shirt from Aeropostale.
Yes, he is in the US Army. When he dresses up to go out with me, it might be more of a shirt from Hot Topics, which I'd never even heard of before I met him. Or depends on what youth he wants to impress, lol
(What's a RedWings jersey? A brand or a team or?)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
My hubby is definitely into vintage. Since I've started wearing more vintage, so has he when we go out. But he's probably somewhat unusual as he is a historical re-enactor in his spare time. He started out doing Civil War, then 1880s/Old West and now we both really enjoy doing the 30s. But my hubby mostly appreciates the new "lady" in me--I think he's a leg man! :whistling

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
Yes, he is in the US Army. When he dresses up to go out with me, it might be more of a shirt from Hot Topics, which I'd never even heard of before I met him. Or depends on what youth he wants to impress, lol
(What's a RedWings jersey? A brand or a team or?)
The RedWings are a professional hockey team from Detriot, MI. They are also a brand of shoe (work boots I think) but the jerseys he have are for the hockey team!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
What is with all the 28 y.o men? My s.o. is about to turn 28 and all he wears is jeans and polos. I can get him to dress up every once in a while but that usually turns out to be a dress shirt and nicer jeans. :eusa_doh: He likes that I like to dress in vintage which is all that matters.

He has said he will dress in vintage when he takes me out for my birthday next week though which is sweet. I got him in touch with a friend of mine who collects vintage suits and hopefully something will stick. I can't wait to see people's reactions.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
My boyfriend is a ex-Rockabilly, so he surely tends into that direction still. He´d love to have a suit from he 30s/40s and I hope to improve my sewing-skills in a way to be able to make one for him ;-)

BegintheBeguine

Oh yes, work boots. Didn't know about the Hockey team. Thanks for info. 28 yr olds... :eusa_doh: I wish he'd dress in a polo shirt and jeans, would be an improvement: he wears those ridiculous teenage baggy pants like the cartoons of the group the Gorillaz. My late dad's friend who is now my friend is a 19 year old guy (Too Cute!) and he dresses in a nice shirt, sometimes a tie, black slacks and Chucks, and a hat. Adult. Did I mention he's cute?

kirawoidan

New in Town
My boyfriend isn't into vintage as much as I am, but he does wear fedoras almost daily. He always wears skateboarding tshirts and plaid pants. The closest he gets to dressing up is an old suit jacket he wears with a sweatshirt as his winter coat. He likes my vintage-wear and loves to go antiquing with me.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Nope

My hubby dresses well but isn't into vintage clothing. He never wears jeans, always khaki's and nice sweaters and button-down shirts from stores like Nautica and Eddie Bauer. Trying to get him to wear jeans is like pulling teeth, although sometimes he will if he'll be working in the yard or something. He likes the retro lifestyle though - we love listening to music from the 50's and watching shows about that era. He has a small collection of vintage Coca-Cola signs and ads.

I don't dress in complete vintage garb - I tend to mix vintage/vintage inspired with modern - pants with a nice fitted sweater or a modern pencil skirt with a vintage top. I've been collecting some pins and things here and there to spruce things up a bit. He likes the idea that he has his own personal pin-up girl, and I'm more than happy to oblige :)

Elaina

One Too Many
My husband was never encouraged to be anything other then a jeans and t-shirt kind of person by his hippie parents. So his taste for suits was so strongly discouraged, he's only now getting into it, and the modern suits he does have are not the greatest (unless I've made them).

I don't do vintage full out. I do a mix of what I like, what I design, and it makes for an ecclectic wardrobe, and it tends to make his ecclectic.

He prefers the Edwardian Era and late Victorian and the 20's for himself, although I tend to buy him polos and khakis and slacks for work, since it's business casual. He aslo go the opposite route with jeans and tees on the weekend, complete with ball caps. Neither of us do a whole lot of vintage shopping, mainly because he's a large man (tall and a little heavy with a huge head) and there's not much there for him, and I'm so picky that I don't get alot of things either.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I don't have a boyfriend right now, but my last boyfriend was almost as into it as I was. We both wore normal street clothes the majority of the time but we were obscessed with the history and finding the stuff. My high school boyfriend would also dress vintage or Victorian with me... I think if you get someone of an artistic temperment that they generally aren't opposed to dressing up. Unless, of course, there is an oh-so-serious reason why it's "denying the self" lol (note sarcasm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko