Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies, lend me your ears for a moment...

Jovan

Suspended
I'm having a big problem with the hair. My hair naturally is pretty wirey and thick. It seems to just frizz up all the time, so I can't really do the dry look much unless I don't wash my hair for a day (where I then get horrible dandruff). 3 Minute Miracle hasn't helped much, and neither has using conditioner every day.

Any suggestions?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pomade?

It's old fashioned and greasy, but sure makes it lie down! Also the liquid version, Three Flowers brilliantine?

I also like to use black people products, they are generally better for controlling frizz. My Jewish genes keep popping out...

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
I'm having a big problem with the hair. My hair naturally is pretty wirey and thick. It seems to just frizz up all the time, so I can't really do the dry look much unless I don't wash my hair for a day (where I then get horrible dandruff). 3 Minute Miracle hasn't helped much, and neither has using conditioner every day.

Any suggestions?

I can't help with any product recommendations, but I'd suggest talking with someone who has professional hair care products they can sell you as well as style your hair.

VB

katylouise

New in Town
There are all kinds of serums by many brands that you put on your damp hair that helps soften and de-frizz. John Freida makes a ton and a lot of the other drug-store type brands do too, as well as salon level. Ask some of your lady friends what brands they would recommend - I used to use John Freida's Frizz Ease and it worked pretty well. I have LOTS of hair, but it's pretty fine so I only have a problem on very bad hair days :)

I've always been partial to bushy, unkept hair - the guy I'm dating has the cute "I spent all night reading War & Peace and didn't have time this morning to do my hair" look going lol

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Do you use shampoo? Try weaning yourself off of it, and only use conditioner. The dandruff might be from your skin drying out, appearing once the wash was done. [huh]

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I don't suffer from frizz but hopefully these recomendations help ya out.
1-Learn to love the curl to your hair if you straighten it you will just damage it more making it more frizzy
2-Keep washing your hair to a minimum and if you have to wash it dilute it with a 1:1 solution of water to shampoo.
3-Condition your hair daily and deep condition your hair once a week. Keep a leave in conditioner with you during the day and if you start frizzing give it a touch up spray.
4-When using a leave in conditioner your first application should be on damp hair so it can soak in while your hair dries.
Hopefully that helps you out some!

Josephine

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Thanks. My hair isn't curly, just wavy. Still, it causes problems. My father had uber curly hair.

It maybe that your hair is curly, it's just with what you do to it (stripping it with shampoo, etc), the curl hasn't been able to come out.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Jovan, the American Crew products are great.

If you don't want the "pomade" look or feel, and want it to look dry, then I might suggest using Paul Mitchell super sculpt gel. It's nice and light. Put it in wet, comb your hair like you want it. Then after it's dry if it feels or looks too crunchy just run your fingers through once or twice. It's really not very crunchy tho.. another great gel for this is Sebastion Wet. These are always big sellers with guys and a little goes a long way. These are not good gels for spikes or other hard looks.

You can also "cocktail" your products. Such as mixing a tad of pomade with gel, ect.. to get what you want. Don't be afraid to try!
Nikki

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My boyfriend has very thick hair that will stick straight up on end like a straight afro if he doesn't tame it with pomade. I know your hair is wavy, but pomade does a good job at holding everything in place.

If you have dandruff and/or dark hair, I wouldn't recommend Murray's though. My boyfriend has jet black hair and if he uses too much it will look whitish. Even if he doesn't use too much, dust, piece of leaves, anything floating in the wind will get stuck to his head, and his dandruff gets worse.

Royal Crown pomade (as opposed to the hair dressing), has nice hold but isn't as downright heavy and thick as Murray's, plus it's shiny.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
And if you can find any Black & White Pomade...ooh, that's the good stuff.. plus it has the BEST smell! Like the Brylcreem jingle, "a little dab'll do ya".

There's no lie in that, when applying pomade.

The fantastic thing about playing with your hair, is not only will you find what works for you regarding texture, but you also come up with new styles, and ways of doing your hair that will look good on you.

All the suggestions below are great, you're just going to have to try out different things and find your "recipe", so to speak. Best of luck!! And have fun expirementing!:)

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Phytodefrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm
Phytodefrisant is a relaxing balm for all hair types, naturally curly or permed hair. Ferula, horseradish, and garlic extracts coat and straighten hair without any chemical action. The non-oily formula won't weaken hair. Imparts shine as hair blow-dried to smooth, straight perfection.

I've had fairly good luck with this balm. My hair tends to poof in the summer and this helps with a sleeker look. But since I switched to Matrix Sleek.Look shampoo/conditioner products, I haven't had to use the Phyto Balm at all.

P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic