Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LADIES of the LOUNGE

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
I can't for the life of me remember what costume this was supposed to be, but it was Halloween two years ago, more clothed than in the picture of me in another costume previously posted by my roommate. [huh]
DSC03562.jpg

...the biology teacher of my teenage dreams?:whistling

Edward

Bartender
Benny Holiday said:
Hey, it's better than than the one that's in my head - after seeing the pics of Barbigirl with her name written in the posting, that hideous Vengaboys song keeps going through my mind - "I'm a Barbigirl, in a Barbi-world . . ."

Aaargh!

It's torture, but I have to admit, it's a small price to pay to see those lovely pictures of Barbigirl!

You're a little offbeam there - it's actually Aqua who were responsible for Barbie Girl. I quite liked it myself. OTOH, anything whatever by [spits] Van Morrison [/spits] makes me lose the will to live very quickly. Ghastly man.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
You're a little offbeam there - it's actually Aqua who were responsible for Barbie Girl. I quite liked it myself. OTOH, anything whatever by [spits] Van Morrison [/spits] makes me lose the will to live very quickly. Ghastly man.
:eek:fftopic:
Now Edward, I quite enjoy your posts and am certain that you are a fine fellow, however, please remember, there is a certain generation that holds Van Morrison in, if not high regard, fond memory. It may have something to do with where we were and who we were with at the time but Mr. Morrison was singing in the background. And life was very apparent. :D

OTOH, I don't know beans as far as Aqua is concerned. Aftershave? lol

patterson

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: There are certain onscure observances I've made over the years - one of which is I have never met a Brit who could stomach Van Morrison or Bruce Springsteen... On the otherhand, I cannot get enough Monty Python, but Benny Hill just escapes me...

carter

I'll Lock Up
patterson said:
:eek:fftopic: There are certain onscure observances I've made over the years - one of which is I have never met a Brit who could stomach Van Morrison or Bruce Springsteen... On the otherhand, I cannot get enough Monty Python, but Benny Hill just escapes me...

:eek:fftopic: Benny Hill pretty much takes silliness where even I don't want to go. He must be an acquired taste.
Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, and a lot of British humor is, to me, way ahead of what we have in the US. I even like most of what is on BBCAmerica more than what we get from US networks. Sports excluded. :)

Maybe it has something to do with Van Morrison being Irish? Ya think? [huh]

patterson

One of the Regulars
carter said:

:eek:fftopic: You may be onto something there... I'm just a big mick myself - great grand dad was a member of Sinn Fein back in 1905, before things got a bit hot over there...

Man - How do we get from looking at lovely ladies to talking about "the troubles" and I'm not even sitting at a bar...[huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
patterson said:
:eek:fftopic: You may be onto something there... I'm just a big mick myself - great grand dad was a member of Sinn Fein back in 1905, before things got a bit hot over there...
Man - How do we get from looking at lovely ladies to talking about "the troubles" and I'm not even sitting at a bar...[huh]

:eek:fftopic: I dunno but we gotta stop before...you know.

Probably because my forbears were all either potato famine or sheep herder displaced by English landlord sorts.
The Irish left before the Troubles and the Scots were pretty much in the same boat, so to speak. :coffee: now
:cheers1: later It's not noon yet. :)

Edward

Bartender

Dear Moderators, please allow me this one indulgence to hopefully jam the lid back on a can o' worms I appear inadvertently to have opened, and then I promise back to appreciating the lovely ladies of the lounge!

patterson said:
:eek:fftopic: There are certain onscure observances I've made over the years - one of which is I have never met a Brit who could stomach Van Morrison or Bruce Springsteen...
carter said:
:eek:fftopic: Benny Hill pretty much takes silliness where even I don't want to go. He must be an acquired taste.

I remember dear Punch magazine (I mean, the real one - not the ghastly mimic thereof that that awful Mohammed Fayed man was involved in putting out some ten years ago, or so) putting the appeal of Benny Hill to the citizens of the USA as follows:

"Perhaps they have simply taken to heart the words of the poet laureate, Bob Dylan, who said 'Don't criticse what you can't understand.'"

(Punch "Guttersnipe" column, circa July/August 1991)

lol

carter said:

You'll find a lot of Northern Ireland people, far from being fans, absolutely loathe the man. I personally find his ouevre bland and unappealing without exception, but that is entirely down to personal taste. The real issue I have with him, as a lot of folks, British, Irish and otherwise is that he's really quite an unplesant person. I've seen his live show twice - both times he was on a bill with Bob Dylan, I certainly didn't choose to see him - and both times he treated his audience with such utter contempt it was actually quite shocking. This is by all accounts typical - and he has something of a reputation for being a real "don't you know who I am?" type, which seems to be fair based on what I've seen of him. I tend to feel that anyone can have an off day, but a performer who consistently treats their audience badly doesn't deserve one. Naturally, YMMV. ;)

I think too there's a fair degree of reaction against the fact that he has been built up for so long as one of the sacred cows of British / Irish music, especially in NI - you know, you can only push something as amazing to people who really aren't impressed for so long before they start to point and shout "Naked Emperor!" every time they see it. :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:

Dear Moderators, please allow me this one indulgence to hopefully jam the lid back on a can o' worms I appear inadvertently to have opened, and then I promise back to appreciating the lovely ladies of the lounge!

...- you know, you can only push something as amazing to people who really aren't impressed for so long before they start to point and shout "Naked Emperor!" every time they see it. :D
lol lol lol
Thank you Edward! I'm done. :D

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
I can't for the life of me remember what costume this was supposed to be, but it was Halloween two years ago, more clothed than in the picture of me in another costume previously posted by my roommate. [huh]
DSC03562.jpg
I've been wondering what you look like... Lovely! Thank you.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Mr. Lucky said:
Fantastic! I feel consumately priveleged to attend a board with so many beautiful and classy dames, I mean ladies.

Nash, you are just so darned cute. You remind me of a picture I saw once in a Life magazine of USO ladies during WW2, dishing up food at a canteen. And I know you'd be out there dancing with the cute servicemen during your breaks! James is a lucky man. I hope he knows it! lol

Nashoba

One Too Many
RedHotRidinHood said:
Nash, you are just so darned cute. You remind me of a picture I saw once in a Life magazine of USO ladies during WW2, dishing up food at a canteen. And I know you'd be out there dancing with the cute servicemen during your breaks! James is a lucky man. I hope he knows it! lol

*blush* Thanks Mr. Lucky....and thanks Red!
I would SOOOOO be there! I would have spent every waking moment at a canteen!!!! I so badly wish the USO still did the camp shows. I've been trying to find a way to get in as a performer for years but they don't do those kinds of shows anymore and I have absolutely zero name recognition. The closest I came was an audition for a singing group that did air shows and stuff, but we moved (story of my life) shortly after. One day maybe...but here in Nasvhille, everybody sings.

I would have made an awsome USO girl. *sigh*

He knows. He's been telling me that alot lately. I don't personally see it, but it's nice to hear nonetheless ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Nashoba said:
*blush* Thanks Mr. Lucky....and thanks Red!
I would SOOOOO be there! I would have spent every waking moment at a canteen!!!! I so badly wish the USO still did the camp shows. I've been trying to find a way to get in as a performer for years but they don't do those kinds of shows anymore and I have absolutely zero name recognition. The closest I came was an audition for a singing group that did air shows and stuff, but we moved (story of my life) shortly after. One day maybe...but here in Nasvhille, everybody sings.

I would have made an awsome USO girl. *sigh*

He knows. He's been telling me that alot lately. I don't personally see it, but it's nice to hear nonetheless ;)

Ya just gotta believe!
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou