Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
V1019.jpg

This
suit
is
fabulous!
LD

I love it, too. One day soon, I'll set aside enough time to attempt it :) I have visions of a two-tone suit in burgandy with black side panels...

Miss1929, that's a fantastic group photo! Everyone looks perfect!

Miserabelle--there are lots of nice light-weight suiting fabrics at Joann's, and they're in very spring-appropriate colors. I used to own a pink suit that I just LOVED, and I bet the pale blue suit you mentioned it fabulous.
Also, if you really love grey, you can start out with a pale, dove grey, or a fabric that's a blueish gray.

:eek:fftopic: Nice avatar, Matt Deckard!

metropd

One Too Many
This thread is long overdue. I'm glad women's Golden Era's suits are finally being posted, if not I was going to post the topic myself.

It's sad women's suits don't have this much design or class put into them anymore.

By the way you look great retrogirl1941

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
metropd said:
This thread is long overdue. I'm glad women's Golden Era's suits are finally being posted, if not I was going to post the topic myself.

It's sad women's suits don't have this much design or class put into them anymore.

By the way you look great retrogirl1941

Thank you metropd!Eventually I want to make a cream linen suit for all year round use(in FL at least!). But until then my suit gets used maybe once or twice a year. [huh]

Samantha

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
swingtimegal said:
You can always check out the pattern envelopes on the Vintage Vogue site for inspiration too. Or, just buy the pattern and have one made up for you :D

I have this one (originally printed in 1947):

V1019.jpg

I love this suit, too. The seams give it an unusual flair. Note the peplum on the back of the jacket--a popular feature of 40s suits.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
miserabelle said:
I just bought that Vogue pattern (my mom, a complete saint is going to make it for me) but I'm not sure what fabric to buy, I'm stuck for colour really. I really love grey but I wear quite a lot of it already, I'm not sure about brighter colours but I saw Kitten Von Mew (she's a pinup model) wearing a pale blue suit that she looked gorgeous in.

xx

I think light navy with pink trim would suit your coloring. Good luck!

Smuterella

One Too Many

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I need to order from them. A suit would be the perfect investement since I'll never find a vintage one in my size. They will also copy the black wiggle dress from Funny Face.:D

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I have

paula said:
has anyone ever got one of those custom made suits they have on ebay?
i was thinking about getting one made but i'd love to hear if anyone had any good/bad experiences first.
for example:

(hope this ok to post here as the auction is over....)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=230225922308&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

I'm bought a couple things from this seller. I specifically had her do a 40s style from a pattern picture as a custom job. She was willing to do this and the price was reasonable. She was able to execute the design and the fit is very good. Initially there were some problems with fit, but she was extremely responsive and re-did the job quickly. As this was a totally new design, some issues are to be expected.

My only dissatisfaction is the fabric that was used, but it was one that I chose without having a sample in hand, only on looks online. If I were to do this again, I would choose fabric by samples. She does supply fabric swatches with orders and I would have to believe would, if asked she would send out swatches pre order if one were to ask. Having some of her samples in hand, I see some choices that would have been better for the suit,

I will get up some pics, particularly since she is able to do a 40s style that isn't listed on her site.

Honey Doll

MissHannah

One Too Many
This one ended a couple of days ago on ebay:

f647_1_sbl.jpg

fc4d_1_sbl.jpg

The price went too high for me in the end, but it's a really unique one.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I LOVE LOVE LOVE suits. With women, there are so many different kinds of suits.

DSC00423.jpg

Here is an interesting suit dress I so want to make.

P1010008.jpg

Suit coat (on the right).

P1010011.jpg

Another (on the left).

vv2476.jpg

And a more mainstream version of a classic suit/ jacket suit for women.

LD

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own a ton of vintage suits and vintage jackets.

And I have a lot of reference material. If you could post what type of things you are looking for, I can provide photo samples for your consideration before you get something done so you can see it on a mannequin.

However, I realistically won't be able to start this offer until after the first week of April...many things due at work.

And...I love shoulder pads in vintage suits - they help define the cinched-in waist. In the meantime, I'll see if I can post some photos I previously posted in the What Are You Wearing Thread so you can see some of my suits (warning: bad photos ahead).

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy