Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

suits lover

A-List Customer
Sorry to intrude ladies, but for mother's day I bought my wife a couple of suits. There is something about women's suits from the 1940s and 50s.

A 1950s gray POW Neiman Marcus:
402660337.jpg

402660332.jpg

Your wife is pretty nice with that suit and hat !

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I love suits, but my wardrobe is sadly lacking in them- I'm terribly hard to fit, as I have long arms, broad shoulders and no bust!
This is probably my favourite suit and I might even go as far as saying that its one of my fave bits of vintage!
(Please ignore the fact that I cannot dress myself properly- the second button is driving me crazy!)

7255177830_cde08f3d05.jpg

7255177964_f4517bee60.jpg

Tupney x

suits lover

A-List Customer
I love suits, but my wardrobe is sadly lacking in them- I'm terribly hard to fit, as I have long arms, broad shoulders and no bust!
This is probably my favourite suit and I might even go as far as saying that its one of my fave bits of vintage!
(Please ignore the fact that I cannot dress myself properly- the second button is driving me crazy!)

7255177830_cde08f3d05.jpg

7255177964_f4517bee60.jpg

Tupney x

Wow! What a nice green suit! Green been my favourite colour I simply cannot dislike this. Love the nice hat and the brown belt that coordinate with the shoe too. You simply just look perfect with it Miss Tupence even if you have forget to button the second button.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
A picture of *probably* my favourite suit - a hard choice as I really love a good suit! It's a mid 1930s lightweight nubbly tweed in oatmeal with brown and orange flecks, fastening with a double link button, which is a rare beast, even in womens vintage. It is so light and comfortable to wear. I'm wearing it at the fiftith anniversary meet of the Pre-1940 Triumph Car Club last year. The cream car behind me is my partners. The dog is borrowed, and was not very well behaved!

036.jpg

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Chasseur, Lily, and Suits Lover- Thank you, Thank you and Thank you!

Miss Sis,- you really do look like a sewing pattern illustration! And I have to concur that it is indeed a very fine suit! (and hat, and shoes, and bag, and scarf!)

I really (x 100) want a suit like that- or maybe something with a half belt instead (don’t want to sound too greedy!), but like I said before, I’m an awkward shape and add that problem to the scarcity of the suits in the first place…. Well, let’s just say, finding one looks doubtful for old monkey arms here! I think I'll have to try and make one:rolleyes:

T x

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Thanks everyone! I have quite a number of suits, 40s as well as 30s (by far my preference), as they are really my favourite thing to wear after sportswear/casualwear separates.

Miss T, I will have to photograph a few more suits, espacially the 30s ones - I have a half belt back white linen jacket that goes with a stray skirt of the same linen, thus making a suit. :)

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Oh yes, you must take more photos- even if I can't own them myself, it's still nice to see them!
7268901948_7b875ff569.jpg

I found this old picture taken a few years back. It was snapped after a long, long day- hence the bedraggled look! Gee, I look a mess:(
It’s quite a nice suit though- also has the double link buttons.
Any ideas on a date- I think 40’s, but to which end?

Tupps x

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
@Miss Tuppence Now if this is what a a mess looks like I wouldn´t mind looking like one every day :). Such a wonderful suit and you chose the perfect accessories to go with it I think.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Oh yes, you must take more photos- even if I can't own them myself, it's still nice to see them!
7268901948_7b875ff569.jpg

I found this old picture taken a few years back. It was snapped after a long, long day- hence the bedraggled look! Gee, I look a mess:(
It’s quite a nice suit though- also has the double link buttons.
Any ideas on a date- I think 40’s, but to which end?

Tupps x
I am obsessed with suit patterns, even though I'm a stay-at-home mum with no place to wear them. Judging from the patterns in my collection, I'd say 41-42. However, clothing rationing didn't start in the US until 43. My late 30's suit patterns all have either a circle skirt or gored skirt with a large flare. The length of the jacket suggests post-war, but the length of the skirt suggests war time but these both could be a matter of how they fit your figure. How's that for a non-answer? :D

Miss Sis

One Too Many
It wasn't unusual to see pleated skirts on pre-rationed British suits. I have magazine ads for Gorray pleated skirts in 1941, so that's just before clothes rationing came in in Britain. British fashion, whilst acknowledging American fashions, was sometimes quite different, especially in an area as conservative as a suit or 'tailormade' as they were more often refered to.

Padding in the shoulder would be another indication. The late 30s/early 40s ones didn't have that much padding compared to later in the War. I recenty sold what was probably a just Post-War/Pre-New Look dress that had shoulder pads that would put a Gridiron player to shame!

Last edited:

Engel

New in Town
Oh, and I am plus size, sometimes a size 18, mostly a size 20 and sometimes a size 22 in UK size. So, any brands that make vintage repro women suits besides Hey Day and Putting on the ritz for plus sized ladies such as myself?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner