Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I just thought this looked rad.
genekelly15.gif

D

Deleted member 259

I've seen a lot of women on the metro wearing similar style suits. Very classy, except when they pair them with sneakers. I guess they can't handle the walk to the metro stop in heels.

still, its a great look and i'm glad to see it coming back.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The former Duke of Windsor and his wife. He was known for dressing well. He abdicated the throne of Great Britain to his brother because he was in love with a women who had been married twice before and divorced. Public sentiment was against her and her past so he gave up the kingdom in favor of love.

The Duke was also known for beign a nazi sympathizer.

Wow! That is an interesting photograph. It sort of speaks volumes. When they were first married, he looked more rested and relaxed in photos. As time went on they fought and drank profusely. This looks like a photo somewhere in between that. I wonder if he regretted his decision later. :p

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
AHhahahahah, oh man, this is good stuff.

Well, to get back on track, I love a lady in a suit. Not pants suits, but a classic 30's or 40's suit topped with a nice hat.

What happened to this look? Where did it go? How come today I see a lady wearing a very nice vintage suit coat but pared with a pair of Levi's?

What are most women thinking today? I see lost of girls wear skirts to only have a pair of Levi’s on under it! That might be a fashion right now but it just strikes me as saying: Hi, I couldn't decide if I should wear a skirt, or pants, so I wore both!

Root.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's a great suit, Matt! I haven't seen anything like it in my travels, but would love to have something similar.

Oh, how I hate the jeans and skirt/dress look! A little too ‘bag lady’ for my tastes…

I have several 1940s suits; I don't wear them often (my office is very casual, so I am overdressed as it is) but find that men stop me left and right when I do wear them. I think it’s so interesting that an outfit that is really quite conservative still turns heads. I think it has something to with the ‘sexy secretary’ image/allure.

I have an Eisenberg suit that is fairly similar to this one—mine is navy blue faille with rounded lapels; no beading but it has the original pin still attached (Eisenberg originally made ladies clothing that featured attached jewelry; the ‘brooches’ and ‘belts’ were so popular that women began stealing them. So, Eisenberg switched over to the jewelry business.) I wore it work when the bigwigs were here and received several complements.
ws106a.jpg

I also have a western-inspired Lili Ann suit that was made in the late 40s for Goldwater’s, a now-defunct Arizona department store. It's taupe with dark brown accents that strongly resemble the yoke detailing on a western shirt. Last time I wore it, a guy asked me if I was in a movie. I told him "no, I just dress like this!", and he said “You look like a lady. A *real* lady!� Apparently, looking like a lady is a good thing, because he asked me if I was taken!

For fun, here are some photos from the fashion CD I got from www.return2style.de (I highly recommend this CD!) The green suit in the last image reminds me of the suit Matt picked up.

3439232323232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D3%3A%3C%3D%3B9%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232386256%3C53%3Bot1lsi

3439232323232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E2%3B%3B%3E%3A%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D323295347%3B633nu0mrj

3439232323232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E2%3B%3B%3E%3A%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D323295347%3B634nu0mrj

3439232323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D3%3A%3C%3D%3B9%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232386256%3C544ot1lsi

3439232323232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D3%3A%3C%3D%3B9%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232386256%3C546ot1lsi

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Well, to get back on track, I love a lady in a suit. Not pants suits, but a classic 30's or 40's suit topped with a nice hat.
stanwyck41.jpg

I love women in pants in the 30's and 40's!
But 30's suits are my favorite, and I LOVE equestrian styles:
tophat03.jpg

1419.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Lauren, I wasn't really talking about the 30's and 40's pant's, I was talking about modern pants suits VS skirt suits in general. I love the look of the 30's and 40's lady's pants.

On the other hand, skirts I feel look dressier and it's nice to see the seamed stockings as well. :cheers1: Something about those stockings and paired with 30's or early 40's "Granny Shoes" Classic!

Root.

galguycopy4fz.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yup, seamed stockings and shoes make the outfit to be sure. In fact, it's so much easier to find heels than flatter shoes for women that I'm finding I make and wear more skirts!

It seems I'm the odd one out on this post... I'm not to big of a fan of a lot of the 40's suits. But check out this 30's suit pattern I just won on Ebay. Now, that's a suit I'll love to wear!

Wild Root

Gone Home
The 30's had a lot of great styles! I love the 30's!

But, what I don't really understand is why for some it is only 30's then stops on January 1st 1940. To me, style didn't end on that date at all. It was a little different, but boy, the 40’s are just as glamorous as the 30's. It's just something I have a hard time understanding why the 40's to some is just not an era that they care for along the lines of style. Most of the fashion of the 40's is so close to that of the late 30's it’s not that far off. Shoulders did get wider and skirts got a little shorter. But, what's wrong with that? I think it's still a very clean cut and elegant look.

Some feel that the 30's styles fit them better, and same goes for those who wear 40's clothes better.

There was some real great stuff that came out of the 40's and I will always have a soft spot in my life for those war torn years of the 1940's.

Root.

barbarastanwyck19373wk.jpg

Oh Barbara, what a girl!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner