Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Was that the 40s suits that were blue with a red pinstripe? Man's and a woman's?

We saw it, the BF and I. Too big for him and a smidge too tight for me, besides which I seem to recall the BIN price was $1200. Even if they had fit, the price wasn't right. :)

They were quite 'American' looking in cut, both single breasted. We both prefer English clothes personally but it was interesting to think of that couple walking around in their matching suits. Generally the BF and I try to avoid that! lol

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Son_of_Atropos said:
I haven't read every post but I cannot stand the women's pants suit. It just seems bland to me. Call me old fashioned but men should dress like men and women should dress like women.

Yeah, that is quite old fashioned. :) Here's a great thread about girls in guy's garb that might change your mind.

Edit: I just saw this awesome Jean Paul Gaultier suit on Dita von Teese, I think it's very vintage inspired, so I wanted to share:

3065268487_3f34ee52ec_o.jpg

3066108576_a695e5d87c_o.jpg

ortega76

Practically Family
Son_of_Atropos said:
I haven't read every post but I cannot stand the women's pants suit. It just seems bland to me. Call me old fashioned but men should dress like men and women should dress like women.

I'd agree with many women's pant suits being bland. I'd say it's a general sign of a lack of quality, originality and attention to details. My wife, until her recent illness, wore suits to work 4 days a week. She had a hard time finding stuff she really liked since most of it was boring, boxy and bland. As much as she spends on pants suits, Hillary Clinton's wardrobe doesn't really do much for her. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE women in pants. I would love to see more optiona and details brought into them. Maybe my wife's experience is colored by the still-limited market for plus-size women, but that's just my 2-cents.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
ortega76 said:
I'd agree with many women's pant suits being bland. I'd say it's a general sign of a lack of quality, originality and attention to details. My wife, until her recent illness, wore suits to work 4 days a week. She had a hard time finding stuff she really liked since most of it was boring, boxy and bland. As much as she spends on pants suits, Hillary Clinton's wardrobe doesn't really do much for her. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE women in pants. I would love to see more optiona and details brought into them. Maybe my wife's experience is colored by the still-limited market for plus-size women, but that's just my 2-cents.

I'll agree with that. I don't like the boxy pantsuit, but I think a more updated pantsuit (or rather, vintage-inspired pantsuit) could look very nice.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I too think that modern pant suits leave a great deal to be desired. Though, I think that they could be done well. Personally, the only reason I even own any pant suits is because I do feel that in today's society one can be looked upon as being impractical for wearing a skirt - so in my desperation to find a job out of college I made sure I had a pants suit ready for interviews where I thought this might be the case. In most cases though I do much prefer a skirt!

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Hi, I'm new. :) There are a lot of lovely suited ladies in this thread, and I'd like to add a few pictures of my favorite actress wearing a suit:

Jean Arthur
l_4de194babef68f7a215aa445b7cbc872.jpg

JeanArthur1936e.jpg

1007A381.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Vintage Betty said:
Feraud, did you notice the ladies sizes got slimmer as the years progressed?
In general I notice most sizes appear to correspond to modern sizes. There doesn't appear to be a lack of larger sized outfits.
Many outfits are available in specific "stout" sizes.

Comments about size may have little to do with the actual number of people who wore larger sizes..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner