Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Ooooo, I just found this thread!

Wearing a classic 40s navy suit to work today. Feels really good! Don't usually wear the vintage to work but going to a show tonight up London so went nuts.

I have just cleaned a ladies cream 1920s Palm Beach suit for a friend. Yes, you read that correctly - a real, 20s, Ladies Palm Beach suit. It was a bit grubby so worked my magic on it. It is very interesting and I will be taking some pics of it and will post them here as soon as possible. It has very minimal wear. A friend who works in a militaria shop found it in a pile of stuff and gave it to my chum.

I think it must be a very rare example as I have never even heard of a ladies Palm Beach suit, much less seen one. Can anyone enlighten us on this?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
1920's Belted Striped Acetate Two Piece Dress Suit

1920s_black_suit1.JPG

Betty, this suit says later than 20s to me, especially if it has a zip? What makes you think it's specifically 20s?

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Miss Sis said:
Ooooo, I just found this thread!

Wearing a classic 40s navy suit to work today. Feels really good! Don't usually wear the vintage to work but going to a show tonight up London so went nuts.

I have just cleaned a ladies cream 1920s Palm Beach suit for a friend. Yes, you read that correctly - a real, 20s, Ladies Palm Beach suit. It was a bit grubby so worked my magic on it. It is very interesting and I will be taking some pics of it and will post them here as soon as possible. It has very minimal wear. A friend who works in a militaria shop found it in a pile of stuff and gave it to my chum.

I think it must be a very rare example as I have never even heard of a ladies Palm Beach suit, much less seen one. Can anyone enlighten us on this?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: a LADIES plam beach suit!!!????? GET OUT!! WOW that's amazing!! I want one!! hahahaha dude that is so rare! and yay for wearing your suit at work, I wore my 40's suit one day at work, no one really noticed actually haha but whatever

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Miss Sis said:
I have just cleaned a ladies cream 1920s Palm Beach suit for a friend. Yes, you read that correctly - a real, 20s, Ladies Palm Beach suit.

I am so excited to see pictures of this--I've never seen an example of a Ladies Palm Beach suit. How lucky that it fell into the hands of someone who realizes what a treasure it is!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Sis said:
1920's Belted Striped Acetate Two Piece Dress Suit

1920s_black_suit1.JPG

Betty, this suit says later than 20s to me, especially if it has a zip? What makes you think it's specifically 20s?

It's an odd piece - maybe even a costume from a later period. But the zipper is very very old, and a side zip. I have other pieces from this period that have zippers too. But the clincher is that the piece has a dropped waist and very old hooks on the interior of the belt. The belt doesn't ride on the waist, it actually rides on the hips and the buttons were swapped out later. So, that's my guess. ;)

Ladies - What is a Palm Beach Suit and what makes it special?

Vintage Betty

Miss Sis

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I am so excited to see pictures of this--I've never seen an example of a Ladies Palm Beach suit. How lucky that it fell into the hands of someone who realizes what a treasure it is!

Not just 20s but EARLY 20s at that. I only say that it isn't any earlier than that because I don't know any better, but it is very end of WW1 - early 20s in style.

Sorry I can't get the pics up quick as we don't have internet at home, so it might take a while, but they'll get here eventually. If anyone is interested in this, it's you guys! lol

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
Ladies - What is a Palm Beach Suit and what makes it special?

Vintage Betty
I'm not a lady but Palm Beach suits werea beautiful light summer weave made of a top-secret blend possibly involving mohair and/or rayon along with wool. It is no longer manufactured.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KObalto said:
I'm not a lady but Palm Beach suits werea beautiful light summer weave made of a top-secret blend possibly involving mohair and/or rayon along with wool. It is no longer manufactured.

Very interesting!

Miss Hannah - you look GORGEOUS in your new suit! Can we see front pics and detail pics too? I particularly love how it's the exact right length at your knee level.

MissSis, I am really looking forward to your pics!

Vintage Betty

MissHannah

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Very interesting!

Miss Hannah - you look GORGEOUS in your new suit! Can we see front pics and detail pics too? I particularly love how it's the exact right length at your knee level.

Thank you Betty! Here are the Ebay sellers photos:

yells4.jpg
yells9.jpg

yells2.jpg

LuckyKat

Practically Family
That is a beautiful suit, & with cool blue & white pinstripes...I wish I got ahold of that suit before a seamstress did.
&, you were right, it did used to be a man's suit. During the war, because they were conserving everything & only making things for the war, it was very common for a taylor or seamstress, or even an able woman at home, would take in a man's suit to make a woman's suit.

lawrawr said:
I just purchased a suit that's nearly identical to the one Betty posted. Forgive the hanger pics - worn, the shape is pretty much the same as the one above. I couldn't get a good shot of me wearing it -- all my self-timer photos came out way too dark.
P1030356.JPG.jpg
P1030354.JPG.jpg

P1030360.JPG.jpg

P1030361.JPG.jpg
P1030359.JPG.jpg

I couldn't find anything with a similar cut on ebay or vintage clothing sites, so I was excited to find the previous one. I also searched for the thread about it, but found nothing.

Here's the info I found on J.B. Simpson -- custom-fit suit manufacturer from Chicago. Considering that the label inside says it's for a Mr. L. Brumfield, I suspect this one started out as a man's suit... what do you guys think?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Ivory Jackie O - esque suit

Cropped jacket with cropped sleeves and hidden buttons

A-line skirt with two faux pockets

DSC01424.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

Pants suit

wide legged pants and long, one button jacket. Slim revers, curved edge, amazing waist definition in the back and faux pockets.

(I need to take down the pants!)

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

I took new pics with flat shoes, I think it looks better with this particular suit - The classic Chanel ballerina, white leather with black nose.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Ivory Jackie O - esque suit
Cropped jacket with cropped sleeves and hidden buttons
A-line skirt with two faux pockets...

Pants suit
wide legged pants and long, one button jacket. Slim revers, curved edge, amazing waist definition in the back and faux pockets.
D, these two suits look perfect on you.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I can finally post this suit! It is a tailored version of a suit Marilyn Monroe once wore, but I had the jacket made much shorter, since I am as tall as three apples and a long jacket drowns me out.

Please disregard the vacant look!

DSC01848.jpg
DSC01846.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy