Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

Shearer

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
1940's Swoop Suit

I think I sold this on ebay last year - I don't remember if I still have it. [huh] This was another suit that no longer fit me.

swoop_suit8.JPG

That fabric is faaabulous! :eek:

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shearer said:
That fabric is faaabulous! :eek:

Yeah, it was a great suit--that I couldn't wear :eusa_doh: . Wait till you see the ones I haven't posted yet! ;)

I think you and I are about the same size. If I am missing some suits of out my closet, I'll be looking in your direction first! ;)

MissS

A-List Customer
Vintage Betty said:
I found some more suit pics...

And if you are a petite woman with up to a size 34" bust, American size 4 or smaller (MissHannah are you reading this?), feel free to drop me a line. I've grown out of some of these suits and am going to be selling them off.

Vintage Betty, I'm loving your post! - so inspiring! The Lilli Ann & repro 1940's are my fave so far! And yes, I'll certainly be interested if you're selling your smaller sizes!

Shearer

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
Yeah, it was a great suit--that I couldn't wear :eusa_doh: . Wait till you see the ones I haven't posted yet! ;)

I think you and I are about the same size. If I am missing some suits of out my closet, I'll be looking in your direction first! ;)

I wish I had more occasion to wear suits! And I'm so short, I always have to raise the hems anyway :rolleyes:

However, if you come across anything sharkskin, I'm a wonky 34, 26, 36 short lol

Vintage Betty

MissS said:
Vintage Betty, I'm loving your post! - so inspiring! The Lilli Ann & repro 1940's are my fave so far! And yes, I'll certainly be interested if you're selling your smaller sizes!

Ok, we can take that offline, thanks for the heads up!

Shearer said:
I wish I had more occasion to wear suits! And I'm so short, I always have to raise the hems anyway :rolleyes:

However, if you come across anything sharkskin, I'm a wonky 34, 26, 36 short lol

Just picked up a sharkskin suit, haven't tried it on yet...too busy with work and posting pics for the ladies! lol

So...ladies...after I'm done posting the rest of my suits (and there are a lot more to post, trust me...this is just the beginning) where do you want me to post pics of my jackets?

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

1950's Flower Dress Suit w/Rhinestone Pearl Jacket, part 1

Not sure if this qualifies for this thread...

1950's Flower Dress Suit w/Rhinestone Pearl Jacket

blue_dress1.JPG

blue_dress10.JPG

blue_dress6.JPG

blue_dress4.JPG

blue_dress3.JPG
blue_dress5.JPG

Vintage Betty

Lauren said:
There is no doubt that many 40's styles were fabulous for women. Especially the early 40's, and I respect immensely women's ingenious uses for fabrics that were rationes (say goodbye to the suits, boys. We're making them over for ourselves... I can hear Daniel gasping right now!). However, if you compare many 40's styles they look very 1980's. Maybe not "hollywood" 40's, but take a look at some of the sewing patterns and catalogs from the mid 40's.

I think that the color palate of clothing of earlier decades shock many people. In my studies of costume, the victorians, who supposedly wore mostly black (due in part to the death of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria's choice to wear black from the time her husband died until her death) actually had a miriad of colors to choose from. I have seen some very bizarre color mixes (like bright yellow with pink, chartruse and orange, etc). No matter what era, suits look flattering and daring on a woman. Some of my favorite suits date to around 1907-1912, when the empire waist was still higher and the cut slim (think the boarding suit in Titanic). Then with the great war, women adopted a more masculine version of the suit. By the 20's it became a staple in the working woman's wardrobe... women had found the ability to hold a job that didn't nessecarily involve domestic service or factory work (think the shirtwaist factories in New York), and they were unwilling to give all the jobs back to the boys following WWI. The 30's found the classes merging and ready made clothing being available to the lower class woman as well as her high society sister, although in differing qualities of fabric, and many women were taking up office work and wore suits in order to town down their sexual femininity (considered a threat to the workplace) that was portrayed in many dresses of the time . This continued to the adoption of pants as early as 1933 to more "daring" women, and the suit and pantsuit were a more sensible alternative to a dress in WWII, as the woman now had seperates to mix and match to make her wardrobe more versitile. The suit is fasciniating in my opinion, not merely for asthetic value, but social history.

This is such a fantastic summary of ladies suits I wanted to bring it forward three years and have people read it, in case they happened to skip it.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Great post Lauren!

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

Miss Neecerie said:
Wow...Thank you for posting all these...

I wish I had even -one- suit even a quarter as nice as all of yours......

alas...I am a poorly dressed slob and have no suits at all.:eek:

Thanks for the nice words! However, I've seen some of the lovely things you own...so be assured, I covet some things you have too!

Stay tuned, many more suits and jackets coming!

And since you are a Bartender....any idea of where to post jackets only with no skirts or pants?

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

1940's Black Velvet Beaded Soutache Coat w Peplum

Matt Deckard said:
I'd say post tailored jackets in suits titled ladies jackets.

Thank you for the quick reply, Mr. Deckard.

Here's the first of many...I fit this for about 5 minutes, and finally gave this to my sister in law to give to our niece after giving up on losing enough weight to wear it again.

1940's Black Velvet Beaded Soutache Coat w Peplum

1940s_velvet_jacket1.JPG

1940s_velvet_jacket1b.JPG

1940s_velvet_jacket1c.JPG

1940s_velvet_jacket1d.JPG

1940s_velvet_jacket1e.JPG

Vintage Betty

1940's Plaid Wool Blend Jacket

betty_101807a.JPG

Jacket - 1940's wool and synthetic jacket, no labels, lining completly intact. Got it last summer, on one of the hottest days of the year in a flea market. No padded shoulders, that's all me!

More about this outfit here.

Vintage Betty

From Lauren's "anatomy of a garment" thread:

Baron Kurtz said:
. . . that i have one of the Baroness's jackets in bits today. (need to re-form two waist darts that someone had unpicked. [Sigh, a man's work is never done :eusa_booh ])

here's the jacket. Lovely purple & beige herringbone with great self-fabric doughnut buttons. The flap for the other faux pocket is missing.

BaronessJacket1.jpg

it's interesting - when one is used to men's jackets - that womens jackets have so little interfacing. This one has only a little (black) in the skirt and a bit off cotton wool padding at the pocket area.

BaronessJacket2.jpg

I really like this pleat. We see them sometimes in sports wear for men, but on the back - the action back. This one is clearly for bust allowance and some mobility, i guess.

BaronessJacket3.jpg

bk

Vintage Betty

Baron Kurtz said:
Vintage Betty, those suits are wonderful. All of 'em.

bk

Thank you Baron Kurtz! And coming from you, with your great taste, that is a very nice compliment indeed!

Actually I was just admiring your handwork. Can you post a pic of the close of the pocket stitching? Looks fab-u-lous. Do you have any more of the Baronness' jackets posted anywhere?

May I send you all my jackets that need repair? Right now please? :rolleyes:

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

1950's Curvy Lazarus Blue Gray Jacket w/Rhinestones

1950's Curvy Lazarus Blue Gray Jacket w/Rhinestones

I wore this for a number of years, but got a bit thick in the waist to be wearing it anymore. It went to another vintage jacket lover, so that was nice. :)

Note the reverse pleats near the shoulders to allow for freedom of movement.

blue_jacket6.JPG

blue_jacket4.JPG
blue_jacket2.JPG

blue_jacket5.JPG

blue_jacket9.JPG

blue_gray_jacket_fabric.JPG

blue_jacket11.JPG
blue_jacket12.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member