Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think she's a girl scout leader in a woman's Norfolk suit.

192422-vi.jpg

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
Rita Hayworth in her wedding suit:

justhitched.jpg
Many people don't realize that Orson Welles was a magician. He was not very good, but loved the art. He did a fantastic illusion once and only once with Rita. It was an illusion designed and custom fit to her dimensions. No one but her could be in it. It was a sawing a lady in half, that didn't use a box! Rather she just lay on a table and Orson ran a big buzz saw right through her mid-section.
No cover of any kind!
The illusion now resides in a secret warehouse in Las Vegas and is owned by David Copperfield. The warehouse houses thousands of rare and vintage magic props. Some of which are over a thousand years old! Last year I was in Vegas and was invited to tour the warehouse. I got to see the sawing illusion used by Orson and Rita. Its a very clever peice of apparatus and is very tiny for an illusion. Its really just a large coffee table. Somewhere I have a picture of it. If I can find it, I will scan it in for you to see.

Chad

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I couldn't find my picture of the actual prop. But you can see another magician performing the illusion at this link
http://www.pcsorcarmagician.com/album/
Click on the bent arrow button and type in the number 41. You should see a magician from India performing the buzz saw illusion. You can also go ahead one to picture 42 and see the saw more 'inside' the lady. Truly a remarkable illusion as the blade really appears to be inside her at that point!
Now, imagine that the turbaned guy is Orson Welles, and the lady on the table is Rita Hayworth, then you can imagine what the illusion looked like.
The illusion in those pictues was made of metal. But the one Orson used was made of wood. And had an added bonus effect that as he cut through Rita, splinters from the table below would fly out as the blade cut through!
The prop was specially built to Ritas measurments and could only be done with her in it. As far as I know, it was only used one time as a publicity stunt.

Chad

Wild Root

Gone Home
Very interesting! Magic is fun stuff! I have always enjoyed a good magic act.

Say Jitterbug, those are some nice photos. And yes, the bathing suit is still a lady's suit!

When I'm no ebay and type: vintage suit, all I get are old bathing suits and union suits. Never the striped wool double breasted's that I'm looking for. :p

Root.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I love this thread.The color combinations are what surprise me the most. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to my techniclor movies to really get a feel.

Beautiful suit and hat Miss Joeri!

I've always made the mistake in the past of looking for exact matches for hats and suits.You can imagine how tough that is.Thanks to everyone for showing me that a contrasting color can be just as chic.

Trickeration

Practically Family
I picked up this suit a while back at a thrift store for $5. I still need to let the skirt down a little. My daughter took a picture of me looking at my shoe, and for some reason she loves it, so I'm posting it along with one we took outside so you can see the suit without it being all scruntched up. Sorry, I'm not big on posing for pictures :rolleyes: .

http://community.webshots.com/photo/425681238/439818711ybRoXz

http://community.webshots.com/photo/425681238/439797374NnCMPT

Miss Joeri- Your suit is wonderful. I love your sunglasses, too. It seems like you don't often see women in sunglasses in the old photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy