Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
1647f.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Trickeration-Very flattering,love the cut of the jacket.

JBD-That is a very bold look,wow!Never seen anything like it.Where do you find your pics?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I saw the cutest vintage suit at an antique mall the other day,but I'd need to lose 5 pounds to wear it. (Which wouldn't kill me)
It was a 1940s suit with padded shoulders,nipped in the waist,heart shaped pockets,and a flared skirt all in a dusty blue.
I'm tempted to go back and get it as exercise enticement.It's haunting me!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Just a sidenote:

It seems that the true "ladies suit" is becoming somewhat of a rarity. Most of the women at my law school now favor the pants suit, usually in some abominable cheap looking black material. I am not sure why they are so popular, as I have never seen one which looked at all good. Perhaps they feel wearing a skirt isn't a "power" look for a woman. Who knows.

I just wish the real ladies suit (with skirt) would return.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Vladimir Berkov said:
Just a sidenote:

It seems that the true "ladies suit" is becoming somewhat of a rarity. Most of the women at my law school now favor the pants suit, usually in some abominable cheap looking black material. I am not sure why they are so popular, as I have never seen one which looked at all good. Perhaps they feel wearing a skirt isn't a "power" look for a woman. Who knows.

I just wish the real ladies suit (with skirt) would return.

I don't understand either; whenever I see a woman wearing a suit like the one in that Coke ad she has all the power.

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
This may sound strange,...but i always sort of envied vintage womens suits.
Especially from the 40's-early 50's.
In the sense that there was always more variety and ideas and colors and concepts and cuts in women's clothing.
Some outfits are really amazing.

EC

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
Most of the women at my law school now favor the pants suit, usually in some abominable cheap looking black material.
Now you realize, Vladimir, that these women are most likely multitasking. :rolleyes: A lot of the "suits" that I see while strolling the mall in the younger women's shops tends to look like stuff you'd see when out at bars or clubs. Cheap stretchy black fabric with no shape.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Suits like the one in the Coke ad are available for about $500 at Nordstrom or $350 at Talbots. It's one of the few clothing stores that still carries such suits; even Brooks Brothers now has a really limited selection for women. Ann Taylor is now pretty much stretchy, synthetic material.

Liz Claiborne used to have nice suits--today, I'm wearing a brown plaid wool blazer by Liz that I bought about 13 years ago in a thrift store. But Liz has sadly gone the way of the androgenous black pantsuit.:cry:

shindeco

A-List Customer
adamgottschalk said:
My word. If I saw a woman walking around looking like this, I'm quite certain I'd have no choice but to get right down on my knee and say, "Dear lady, be kind: say you'll be with me forever and a day."
Goes to show that gingham doesn't have to be reserved for "Daisy Duke" shorts!!

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
Also wanted to add that many young women don't have the money to spend on a "real" suit...but of course that's when consignment stores come in handy.:)

Wild Root

Gone Home
You all know what I'd say...

Vintage women's suits I see as of late are around the $50-$75 dollar price. Some are in not so bad sizes. Plus, they look sooo much better.:arated:

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy