Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies, what scents do you like on your men?

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I love it. My Granddad and Papa do wear it, but I still love the scent. Unlike apparently the majority of the ladies, I don't find it a turn off due to that fact for some reason.

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
bellabella327 said:
I personally don't like it as my dad (up until a few years ago) only wore that, and growing up my dad would slather that on in the bathroom (so it smelled like old spice for hrs afterwards), so afterwards me and my sis had a hard time getting ready in the bathroom for school afterwards.

Oh my goodness, yes! My daddy used to put it on right before driving us to school or church, I imagine he still does wear it, but I don't have to ride with him anymore ;). That stuff is so pungent that we, my sisters and I, wished he would drive faster, so we could get out of the car.

My fiance uses the NEW Old Spice body spray..which is just as noxious. It permates the entire apartment when he applies it. Blech, it's one of those scents that's so strong, you actually feel like you can taste it in your mouth....or maybe I'm just really sensitive to odors.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I love Old Spice, but only the original. It has a very "comfortable" scent, I think. My dad and grandfather both used to wear it. I buy my husband a gift set ("From Santa") every year at Christmas, fortunately he likes it, too.

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
MirandaFern said:
Oh my goodness, yes! My daddy used to put it on right before driving us to school or church, I imagine he still does wear it, but I don't have to ride with him anymore ;). That stuff is so pungent that we, my sisters and I, wished he would drive faster, so we could get out of the car.

My fiance uses the NEW Old Spice body spray..which is just as noxious. It permates the entire apartment when he applies it. Blech, it's one of those scents that's so strong, you actually feel like you can taste it in your mouth....or maybe I'm just really sensitive to odors.

lol, my thoughts exactly! My bf now applies his cologne to strongly (not old spice), and I have to remind him of that hehehe.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I once had some Old Spice Lime, which I very occasionally used. The idea is that after shave closes up the pores on your skin after shaving. The scent is theoretically an afterthought. A lot of guys just think that slathering on a quart or two is the moral equivalent of a shower. Sooo wrong.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I once had some Old Spice Lime, which I very occasionally used. The idea is that after shave closes up the pores on your skin after shaving. The scent is theoretically an afterthought. A lot of guys just think that slathering on a quart or two is the moral equivalent of a shower. Sooo wrong.

I had a brief stint as a high school teacher and the smell of a classroom on a summer afternoon full of teenage boys who HAD discovered Lynx but HADN'T discovered bathing was horrendous.

Derek WC

Banned
Strange how scent brings on such powerful nostalgia. I like the classic Old-Spice, because I have asthma, and any other cologne makes me sneeze, and literally stop breathing, but this doesn't affect me, also I don't put so much on that it chokes people, just put a small drop.

June

Familiar Face
A young man I was crazy about 20+ years ago wore Old Spice. I saw him again recently, he still wears it, and it still makes me grin :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
my grandfather used old spice classic and I didn't like it. I know I should have fond memories of him and I do but I still don't like it and I don't really associate it with him. which is odd because smell is the sense with the strongest link to memory...

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny Old Spice story ...

I have a funny story about Old Spice to tell, if you good folks don't mind.

After supper every evening, my grandfather Dobson liked to take "a little nip" of whiskey. But, my grandmother (who must have been a direct descendant of the founder of the temperance movement) DID NOT approve of drinking - and even just a "little nip" was DRINKING ! :rage:

Well, my grandmother's objections never seemed to get in the way of my grandfather's "little nip". As a kid I watched this scenario unfold numerous times.

After supper, my grandfather would go into the basement to "his room" and slide back some books on the shelf. Behind the books was carefully hidden a bottle of whiskey. He'd pour about a quarter of a shot glass and gulp it down. Then he'd carefully replace the bottle and the books on the shelf, go over to the medicine cabinet and take out a bottle of Old Spice. He'd rub some Old Spice on his face and then touch the tip of his tongue to his hands to "take the smell of the whiskey off his breath". He'd then tell me, "Remember, don't say anything to Grandmother - there are some things she just doesn't need to know."

Somehow, I think my grandmother knew, but felt that the trouble my grandfather went through to hide it was punishment enough for doing it. :D

By the way, I use Old Spice - but not the same way (or for the same reason) as my grandfather. :D

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
My only experience with Old Spice is my fella's deodorant...and I LOVE IT. Whether it's him or the smell or the combo, it works.

I<3Tiki

New in Town
My husband uses the new old spice - he was lured in back when Bruce Campbell was doing the commercials :) I do like the new scents, though. But he only uses the body wash & the deodorant - no cologne / body spray - so it's not too potent.

On the old Old Spice, though, I do have a bad memory of that - when my little brother was in middle school, he somehow managed to spill what must have been an entire bottle of Old Spice in his bedroom. It smelled for WEEKS! Ugh! lol

shebagrl

Familiar Face
What an interesting read! I too really love the smell, but because my dad wore it, too, and I'm nostalgic like that...but absolutely a no-no for my hubs to ever wear. That just would freak me out. My grandpa once bought some Eternity for Men and I made a bit of a face when I went to give him a hug because he smelled like my husband! He got the biggest giggle outta that...and kindly deferred to a different scent from then on :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
No Scents here

My hubby never wears any aftershave or fragrance and neither did my dad or grandpas that I remember. Old spice does remind me of the smell of my husband s Barber shop. I prefer the lack of fragrance on men maybe just because it is what I am used too but probably also because I teach high school and Axe is everywhere some days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner