Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies with cigarettes

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
Camille said:
Too bad I'm so allergic, otherwise I would learn how to, just for looks. *fashion victim*

What would they call this? Fashion Cancer?

heheh-

I smoke myself, lol but.. let me get outta this thread, these men want to hear about laides who smoke, not guys like me!

I will say, though, I too have a thing for a lady with a cigarette!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
default.jpg

"Glamorous, award winning Australian Television News "Anchor" Lyn Poselthwaite "Fights for her right to party", with a Ciggie during Newscasts"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqJIPLHuNxE

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Why film stars looked so sophisticated with cigs

Not to burst our collective glamour bubble, but...There's a good reason why female Golden Era film stars looked so sophisticated with their cigarettes: they were trained to, via studio lessons in etiquette and "deportment". Many autobiographies of '30's-'40's stars mention this. One autobio I read--Lucille Ball's maybe?--specificically mentioned being taught how to "walk, sit, stand, even how to hold a cigarette". Ginger Rogers' mother, Lela, was one of the instuctors of such classes at RKO.

Also, in the studio system most of the budding starlets were given dance lessons as well (whether or not they danced onscreen later was another story). Given all that training, who wouldn't look beautiful and graceful holding a cigarette, or for that matter, doing pretty much anything else? As some of our fellow Loungers have pointed out, it's not about the cigarette.

Diamondback1

New in Town
"Romancing" the habitual use of manufactured tobacco products, I think, is foolish. This generation is fortunate to have the facts about tobacco, a body of knowledge unavailable to our fore-bearers.

I'm reluctant to even converse with a woman who smells of tobacco, let alone pursuing companionship. To escape the "sexist" label, I'll add I honestly don't enjoy the company of anyone who regularly smokes.

I will admit that down through the ages plenty of very attractive women, including silver screen stars, have smoked.....but when it comes to the real world and taking a woman in my arms, I don't want to be overwhelmed with the stench of stale smoke. It's a "turn-off."

To each his/her own, however.....I'll defend anyone's right to smoke.....and stand firm on my right to choose my associates. :)

- regards

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Glamourizing effects of women smoking

Dear ones, IMHO,I would have to say that I agree with several of you on many points! #1 the phots shared here were NOT flattering by any means!However, the only reason the stars of yesteryear looked so raviginly & romantically Vogue while "puffing one down" was as on poster said they were "trained" for everything.Having grown up outside of Hollywood I took all of my Ballet lessons from a "studio choregrapher" who taught the actors in hollywood (Mr & Mrs (Lonnie) King~ Kings dance studio.,front st,norwalk,ca) the only person I ever seen smoke a ciggerrette other than my own mother & make ME want to learn to smoke was Bette Davis!even in late80's interviews on youtube she makes it glamourous!However,as posted, look at the Creases & lines on that once beautiful face!!
having stood behind the chair for 30+years, smelling perms,hairspray,laquer (at one decade of my early hairdressing years),and all the other chemicals now involved with hair/salon life my lungs are shot anyway!so after about 30+years of smoking I've stopped dead in my tracks last April!I'd gone to New Zealand 90% of the women over there DO NOT smoke & the other 5-10% I did see smoking I understood why a guy wouldn't be attracted!YUCK!so....I quit!:eusa_clap I know kudos for me:eusa_clap However, there was another reason......I watched the one person I desprately loved & who loved me without reservation die (I think thats called Unconditional love), a horrible death for 20 years due to her inability to give up those blasted PAL MALL ciggerretes!My mother died from lung falure due to Emphysema.It's a heart wrenching story!Here's the readers digest version: Father walked out/left family of 8 in the Depression,mom was 13.5 years old started smoking to "look older", went to restraunts, got money, fed & clothed her 4 younger siblings & HER mom, 40's came,50's came,60's came,70's diagnosed with phneumonia several times,hospitalized,MD's said "You have got to quit smoking", "something" happened in her life she started chain-smoking,seemed like she was on the fast track to death on a train called Pall Mall/Phillip Morris' best train! along came the 80's; she got put on full scale 2L Oxygen 24/7,Coumadin [for those of you who are not medical personnell, this drug is RAT POISON but it's also a blood thinner], inhalers so that when the 00's came she was taking her meds so often that there was only a 20 minutes window between doses that she could fortify herself with food.which 90% of the meds were appitite suppressants.so.........keep smoking!It's your right, It's your choice!I just choose to not die that way!now on the flip side, my brother smokes a pack of Cigs every other day at $5 a day! personally I'd rather save that $5 x 15 for a nice trip to Vegas!but that's just my way of thinking!
anyway.......these are just my humble oppinions![huh] It's not a soap box!It's just an additon to the conversations!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Please. We're NOT here to debate the merits or otherwise of smoking, or to criticize those who do/don't.

Pictures of ladies with cigarettes. Please stay on topic.

I don't really see smoking as attractive or not attractive. Nearly every female friend I have is a smoker, I find some attractive and some not. Mostly nowadays, as everything has lost the classy edge, the majority of people smoking look white-trashy, and I include myself in that if I smoke cigarettes, which happens once in a blue moon. I think it isn't so much the smoking as the way that the women carry themselves in general that gives it a certain mystique.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Someone mentined this photo before. It is one of my favorites of a woman smoking:

Sean Young as Rachel Rosen in Blade Runner

RachelRosensmoke.jpg

Carlisle Blues said:

Interestingly enough, you found what scientists have found as well---through research that I am sure cost us plenty. There is a group of genetically gifted people---statistically two in ten who can smoke their brains out and it will never harm them. Their lungs do not get clogged with the tar etc. Perhaps we can clone their resistance for the rest of us. ;) :p
I have known several women who smoked until their dying days and they didn't die of smoking related illnesses. One 89, one 83 and one who stopped smoking at 100 because she couldn't see well enough to light the end of the cigarette. :eek: :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112