Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies with Really Big Hats

Warbaby

One Too Many
I have a fairly extensive collection of Edwardian era fashion photo cards, including some with pretty spectacular hats (this photo is one of a series of spoofs on the elaborate hats of the era). If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post more...

Lady_bighat7_8.jpg

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
Oh these are great! ;D

I did a course on fashion history and was astonished that women at that time would have dead birds on their hats and... kittens' heads on their muffs! Ewww...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
helenhighwater said:
Oh these are great! ;D

I did a course on fashion history and was astonished that women at that time would have dead birds on their hats and... kittens' heads on their muffs! Ewww...

They still do helenhighwater, they still do... [huh]

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
Hopefully you don't mind some more modern photos of Edwardian hats in addition to the beautiful vintage cards. I'm in love with Edwardian hats, the bigger the better! Here I am with my biggest hat, although I wish I had enough hair for a Gibson girl style to really get the look down.

us-2.jpg

walk.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
D-Day Doll, WHERE did you get that lovely hat? Is it vintage or a reproduction? I adore that style - I don't think I could go BIGGER, like the postcards (my brother volunteered that all one of those was missing was a "wrought iron cage with two live doves") but yours is so delightfully bold without being preposterous on me, hopefully.

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
Viola said:
D-Day Doll, WHERE did you get that lovely hat? Is it vintage or a reproduction? I adore that style - I don't think I could go BIGGER, like the postcards (my brother volunteered that all one of those was missing was a "wrought iron cage with two live doves") but yours is so delightfully bold without being preposterous on me, hopefully.

It was an Ebay steal for $20. It is original according to the hatmaker who took a look at it. The details are beautiful, with the velvet edging, ribbons and fake flowers. The ostrich feathers are much more full than any modern ones I've seen. It was probably a nice hat in its day and luckily its still in great condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner