Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz just arrived... I guess I am a HH guy : (

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Shame it didn't work out. Everyone I've known that's done business with Langlitz loves their jackets and can't say enough good things about the company.
I've got deposits down for two more jackets with Langlitz, and with several months or researching my options and hides, I'm sure I'll get exactly what I want despite being neither old nor fat. I'm going with hidden snaps on one build. They offer these throughout the jacket upon request. The other jacket will have the heavy brass buttons. I like the way brass will tarnish with age, especially with dark brown steer.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
This is a really interesting review because when I first looked at Langlitz I wasn't very impressed with the styling and they didn't seem very thick or extraordinary at all. But after all the rave reviews I had to put them towards the top of my list for riding jackets.

To hear Dortiz's review how he wasn't very impressed with the jacket kind of solidifies what I've thought about them and I can take them off the list.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a case of "I spent a ton of money on this so I have to endorse it" with a lot of folks who own a Langlitz riding jacket?

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a case of "I spent a ton of money on this so I have to endorse it" with a lot of folks who own a Langlitz riding jacket?

Well, I wouldn't doubt we all do that to some extent. OTOH, I know when I spend a lot, I expect a lot, so I'm generally more picky in that case. If I buy a used jacket, I don't have the same expectations as I do for a new, custom piece. But yeah, we're all different, so take anything others say with a big grain of NaCl. In the end, it's only what YOU think that matters...and maybe your wife lol

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
This is a really interesting review because when I first looked at Langlitz I wasn't very impressed with the styling and they didn't seem very thick or extraordinary at all. But after all the rave reviews I had to put them towards the top of my list for riding jackets.

To hear Dortiz's review how he wasn't very impressed with the jacket kind of solidifies what I've thought about them and I can take them off the list.

To each their own. I regret that Dortiz wasn't happy with his black goat Langlitz. My experience is that my dark brown goatskin Crescent is the best fitting jacket I own and my personal favorite. For comparison, my fiance prefers my Highwayman because the FQHH has more character. If style is your over-riding concern and you've talked with Langlitz and don't feel comfortable about what they can offer - I think they'd be the first to recommend you go elsewhere so you're not an unhappy customer. I think the rave reviews have as much to do with them managing expectations, providing feedback about unique builds, and their years of experience in designing motorcycle leather as anything else.

If you don't have a physique that fits off the shelf apparel very well then Langlitz will build you a great fitting jacket so I think your really fat guy comment has some merit. I'd also include anyone else that demands a different fit than what is considered an average person. I prefer the Highwayman when it's nice enough to take off for short drives, etc. I'd walk before using my Highwayman as a riding jacket, though, although some of the other forum members happily use their Highwayman as riding jackets. My point is that you'll need to balance function and style if you're getting a riding jacket and oftentimes it's difficult to know what you'll prefer without trying it on. My Highwayman has some serious issues about riding up when I lift my arms to the handlebars because of the cut and the FQHH. This is difficult to know without trying them on but researching here let me know this might be an issue for some people so I was prepared for this when I bought the Highwayman. I'd recommend calling Langlitz, if you're interested in their styles, with questions about design changes. They'll provide feedback on the plus/minuses of certain design choices. They're very proud of the Columbia and Cascade designs with the offset zip since they've been refined over time and work so well on traditional motorcycles so be prepared for that.

I really appreciated Dortiz's review although I don't personally share his tastes. For example - I think for comfort and durability you can't beat goatskin and the majority of Langlitz's customers who try jackets on in the store actually choose goat. Please let us know what you finally buy, how you chose that brand, and your opinions on the purchase. That said - I really need to review my Crescent but the Aero Highwayman has been reviewed here so often here I don't feel I'd be adding much to the conversation. Cheers

Brutus

New in Town
I re did them but they were similar. Langlitz told me they pad in certain areas and clearly that had something to do with it. I thought I marked snug but they said I marked nothing. Regardless they offered to retry or a full refund. I took the second choice. Why..well aside from horrible fit I hated the jacket. I thought the large brass snap looked dumb. The cut made it unappealing and nothing seemed the slightest bit appealing. Despite having my Aero redone it still blew me away when I saw it and obviously so has my LW. Dont get it all with the Langlitz. Just an ugly jacket and now I dont have to think about it all. No offense to anyone but i think its just a coat made for old fat people. Thats who seem to love them the most.
Next year its a mission for a Good wear.

Now that you don't have to sell it yourself quite nice of you to trash the company and jacket after they made the situation 100% right. All brass hardware looks like shiny shit when new. That jacket looked great and would be even better after a year of wear.

Langlitz wouldn't be in business sine 1947 if they built shit.

These Japanese guys seem to be quite happy with their gear and they're not old and fat: http://bikers-heaven-hollywood.com/page014.html

Don't know what's happened to this thread, but let me give you a bit of a yellow flag here - many of us are probably what you are considering "old". Some might even fall into your definition of "fat". So while I can appreciate some good ol' fashioned spunk in a thread, this is getting to the point where you may lose more friends that you're making. Just an observation...

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Langlitz wouldn't be in business sine 1947 if they built shit.

These Japanese guys seem to be quite happy with their gear and they're not old and fat: http://bikers-heaven-hollywood.com/page014.html

TNT, to be honest I'm one of these guys who always found Langlitz's jacket to be cut a little too...abundant, but I've never seen the model that the first japanese fellow wears...which jacket is it?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Tony No-Toes was defending Langlitz as he felt their reputation was being smeared by a post that implied that Langlitz was made for old fat guys.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Tony No-Toes was defending Langlitz as he felt their reputation was being smeared by a post that implied that Langlitz was made for old fat guys.

I got that! ;)

But I would like to know more about that jacket...

One of the Regulars
Well, I wouldn't doubt we all do that to some extent. OTOH, I know when I spend a lot, I expect a lot, so I'm generally more picky in that case. If I buy a used jacket, I don't have the same expectations as I do for a new, custom piece. But yeah, we're all different, so take anything others say with a big grain of NaCl. In the end, it's only what YOU think that matters...and maybe your wife lol

Scott...
The OP used those remarks about Langlitz customers.
It seems that he is missing the point quite often
Tony was just offended by the OP wording, as I do, and probably many other FL loungers.

Scott...
The OP used those remarks about Langlitz customers.
It seems that he is missing the point quite often
Tony was just offended by the OP wording, as I do, and probably many other FL loungers.

Gotcha! Sorry guys, didn't recall that from the beginning as the thread rolled on a while...
Guess that the problem with us old guys lol

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
TNT, to be honest I'm one of these guys who always found Langlitz's jacket to be cut a little too...abundant, but I've never seen the model that the first japanese fellow wears...which jacket is it?

Cutbert, I'm thinking that's a Timberline in brown goat. There's quite a few trim-cut Timberlines on the link (http://bikers-heaven-hollywood.com/page014.html). They're a popular casual jacket among the Langlitz fans in Japan it seems. About half way down that page there's a guy that's got one in a medium cut Timberline which I think looks good too.

Last edited:

dortiz

One of the Regulars
"Now that you don't have to sell it yourself quite nice of you to trash the company and jacket after they made the situation 100% right."

A. I had it sold anyway. B. I said and still do that they stood behind it 150% to a level only equalled by Nordstrom. I have said over and over that their service was AMAZING. I am not trashing them in any way. I dont like the style and product but thats me. That does not make them bad, far from it as I pointed out.

I call my self both Old and Fat and certainly don't get offended when I read it or other comments on a forum by folks I dont know but share interest in things with. Still old but dropped 25lbs and come off fat ; ) The point was if you need custom and are picky they probably are the best route. If not I bet there are lots of folks who like me just dont get the styling. I bought it for one reason. Everyone said its the greatest fit and greatest coat they owned. Well I own Aero and LW and "to me" its nowhere close. If its great for you enjoy. I certainly would not worry about them as they stand behind their product and seem to have quite a following. They will be OK.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
BTW, I think the Timberline is basically a Cascade with a straight front zip and a western style yoke and trim cut. Hope this helps.

Mmm, I'm not a Langlitz expert but I don't think it's a cascade, and I think they should advertise more this model. Like Dortiz I always considered Langlitz to be the Cadillac, or the Mercedes, of this business and a product like this model would show they can also make things not in line with this image.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner