Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel pins and buttons

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one.

My one lapel pin is a tiny replica of the first page of the Constitution of the United States of America, beginning with "We The People.. "I wear it in lieu of the U.S. Flag to avoid any ambiguity. All kinds of political factions wear the stars & stripes. I stand clearly behind the Constitution and wear it proudly. I'll scan the lil rascal and show it to you!

(Is this considered a political posting? Whoops! I said Constitution!)

-dixon cannon

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
And my all-time favorite pin:

pins004.jpg

Ha ha Nice one!

I have something like that too, but a more subtle one. It's called a "Kings-needle", and is a lapel pin or broche Danish gents & ladies wore during the german occupation of Denmark, to mark their resistance against the nazi invaders. The pin was officially a celerbration-pin of King Christian X's birthday, so Hitlers men never figured out its true meaning!

Here is the Ladies version i have, the gents version is without the chain thing.

kongenal.tif

300px-King_Christian_X_in_Copenhagen_1940.jpg

King Christian X

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Colonel said:
Vlad,
What are each of these for? I assume one is for skiing, and one is for marksmanship. I recognize the rune used in some of the others, but am curious.

Why is it, that the fascination of Hitler and third reich is so high in USA?
Is it because you never had his troops, his gestapo and his SS at your frontdoor?
If anybody can find it charming or interesting or even funny to wear theese pins is - to me -alarming! Bad taste and revolting.:rage:
(Hey - I know. No politics. I know. But this is just too much.)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I know a few Europeans who collect this stuff too. They aren't Hitler fans, just collectors of items from one of the most important (and tragic) moments of the 20th century. Just for the record; I don't collect this stuff although it is fascinating.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
To me its even more surprising that europeans also collects nazi stuff.
But one thing is collecting another thing is wearing it and showing off.
I was - not only surprised but also - deeply annoyed by seeing 4 to 5 reenactors in Nazi SS uniforms in Normandy june 6, 2005.
Totally bad taste!:mad: - and bad timing.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
To me its even more surprising that europeans also collects nazi stuff.
But one thing is collecting another thing is wearing it and showing off.
I was - not only surprised but also - deeply annoyed by seeing 4 to 5 reenactors in Nazi SS uniforms in Normandy june 6, 2005.
Totally bad taste!:mad: - and bad timing.

I am afraid I don't see what the big deal is about Wehrmacht/SS reenactors. I can agree that some impressions really should not be done, such as concentration camp guards, etc. But in terms of reenacting general World War II battles and living history, Axis reenactors are an essential part.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
...You are right that axis reenactors are an essential part of history, since the axis/nazis stomped about most of Europe!
But I also think that the people doing nazi/axis reenacting should be extreemly carefull what they do, how they do it and especially where.
To many people here in Europe it is still an open wound!

well, fascination with 3rd reich can be historical or whatever. Personally i'm fascinated by the "stuff" they produced (uniforms, pin badges, you name it). I have the ability to view these things completely dissociated from the people who wore/used them and the evil acts which were committed by people who wore/used them. The understanding of psychology expressed in the pins (and particularly the uniforms) is quite astounding - in the case of the pins above, the runic stuff is also a fascinating look at the regime. Why do you think police around the world wear descendents of the SS uniforms? Because they work: They inspire FEAR, and that is the ultimate aim of police.

This very discussion is one of the reasons we're not allowed to talk politics. I suggest ending it (though to see this thread closed to do so would be terrible. I suggest we form a pact not to continue).

bk

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Spirit of the 1939 World's Fair"

This pin was sold as a souvenir of the '39 World's Fair and the Howard Hughes round the world flight of 1938. I wear this one on one of my fedora's.

9f55d297.jpg

-dixon cannon

K

kpreed

Lapel Pin Question.

I have this pin on my suit lapel. Does anyone know anything about it? Dates?
I wear it often but really know nothing on it. Thank You, kpreed
ad44_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou