Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel pins and buttons

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Keep 'em Flying was a WWII slogan for war bonds and the like. Also a 1941 movie with Abbot and Costello.

victory3.jpg

Here's an example of the slogan
Very nice pin! nice collectible!

K

kpreed

Thank You for the information, I have seen the term/slogan many times, but with them still making a thing that can be bought (in plastic) I wonder if my metal pin was really from the WW2 era or not.

SweetThreads

New in Town
Lapel Pins

Hiya, Everybody!

I am thinking of getting some lapel pins, but I'd like to get some information about them first.

As far as I am aware, the pin is put somewhere on the lapel, but I don't know exactly where: I know it's usually put on the left hand lapel, but I'd like to know if it's put through the button hole (which isn't really a hole, as it is sewed shut) or just somewhere near there.

More importantly: if I pin a pin to my lapel, will there be an eye-sore of a hole left where I pinned it? Will it damage the lapel?

Thanks,
SweetThreads.:)

Edward

Bartender
Welcome to the lounge!

I've worn a fair few lapel pins over the years without ever damaging a jacket. The pin holes will disappear very quickly once the pin is removed, in my experience. where you wear them is really up to you. The most common place is indeed the left lapel. Whether you snick them into the button hole or not is your choice, really.... I like to leave mine clear for things like a lapel cord. If you're overly concerned about marking the jacket, a buttonhole (functioning or otherwise) is less likely to show any mark at all.

SweetThreads

New in Town
Thanks for your quick replies!

Thanks for giving me peace of mind as to what a pin might due to my lapel, Edward.

And thank you, MK, for posting that picture, which is as good looking as it is useful; I look forward to getting the one I have just ordered. And I would also like to thank you for producing Classic Style magazine.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The three I brought with me (Actually, the Halifax one was given to me up here)
I don't feel weird about wearing the Knights of the Macabees one, even though I don't belong, because they haven't been in existence since the '60s.
IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
After "hunting" for these for a long time at on-line auctions, yard sales and flea markets I have finally found them:

Horsens_Aarhus_Pins.jpg

Left: A 1942 badge from the celebration of the town of Horsen's 500th year as a "købstad" (a city with special rights as to trade, government, military and taxes - the system ended in 1970). The badge despicts the city arms of Horsens, the Horse and multi-leafed tree. Horsens is my curretn home-town.

Right: A 1941 badge from the celebration of the city of Aarhus' 500th year as a "købstad". The badge despicts the clock tower of the "new" town hall, a magnificent building drawn by Arne Jacobsen and Erik Møller, finished 1941. I used to live and study in Aarhus.

The Horsens badge is quite rare and hard to find in good shape - the Aarhus one is quite common, but almost equally hard to find in good condition.

Regards.

Jakob

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Hiya- If there is a possibility that some of you folks hereabouts want some custom enamel pins done, and done well, I would check out Wm. Spear Design in Juneau, Alaskahttp://wmspear.com/ I ran across his shop in 2000 while wandering around Juneau doing the tourist thing. He does beautiful work- have a look at his website- and he seems to enjoy many of the same things the folks here do- he does some great classic airplane pins, for instance, and he's a very interesting guy. His pins hold up well too- very well-made. Anyway, just a thought.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
This pin was sold as a souvenir of the '39 World's Fair and the Howard Hughes round the world flight of 1938. I wear this one on one of my fedora's.

9f55d297.jpg

-dixon cannon

Nice pin. I have one of those as well.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Dixon Cannon said:
This pin was sold as a souvenir of the '39 World's Fair and the Howard Hughes round the world flight of 1938. I wear this one on one of my fedora's.

9f55d297.jpg

-dixon cannon

Nice pin! I have a couple of 1939 Worlds Fair pins but not this one. I love airplanes and I have a couple of silver lapel pins that depict vintage planes.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
FL Lapel Pins Question

Hello,

Has anyone purchased the lapel pins from the Fedora Lounge Store?
If so; Good / Bad Quality? Because I am looking for some new Pins
for my new suit and I always liked the look of them...

Thanks,

Devon

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Yes, I've ordered one. They're very nice. Just some fluke thing happened with my order and it took a little longer than I thought it would to arrive. But everything got fixed. Good service on their part. I also ordered a mug; I use it as a stylish pen cup for my desk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou