Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last Man Standing hat?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Love the modified Fed!
That one has had a rough road. First it came to me from Australia, of course. Then one day, I was visiting Meyer the Hatter here in town. I set it down to try something else on, and when I turned back Mr. Sam, the head of the family, had inserted foam all around the interior of the sweatband -- not simply placed it, but removed the gummed backing. That foam is in there to stay. It makes the hat a little snug to wear, but only a little, and it stays on in a light wind.

Then I sent it to Henry the Hatter in Detroit for a brim trim and a narrower ribbon. They did the latter fine. But they trimmed the brim, not back to 2.5" as I ordered, but to about 2 1/8"! At first I didn't like it, though they were cool and refunded my money for that part of the work. But over time I've become quite pleased with it, esp. when I see hats like the ones in this thread.

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
soooo in my enthusiasm i bought a wool felt replica of "the Hat" from Caliqo, i must say i'm not at all impressed with it, i wore it on a band gig (drums, blues) last saturday night and the brim is already losing it's shape. do i dare steam this thing? there are a couple elements i don't like, the crown seems too short in fact IS too short and i know the grosgrain is too narrow. i am in the process of ordering a proper one from art fawcett...we all have to learn our lessons don't we? like i mentioned in an earlier post i have also ordered one of these;
http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/bmz_cache/0/04e81bba8ee6512bc014f715e71daab4.image.733x550.jpg so i will have several to choose from when all is said and done.........learning, learning..

Last edited:

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
soooo in my enthusiasm i bought a wool felt replica of "the Hat" from Caliqo, i must say i'm not at all impressed with it, i wore it on a band gig (drums, blues) last saturday night and the brim is already losing it's shape. do i dare steam this thing? there are a couple elements i don't like, the crown seems too short in fact IS too short and i know the grosgrain is too narrow. i am in the process of ordering a proper one from art fawcett...we all have to learn our lessons don't we? like i mentioned in an earlier post i have also ordered one of these;
http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/bmz_cache/0/04e81bba8ee6512bc014f715e71daab4.image.733x550.jpg so i will have several to choose from when all is said and done.........learning, learning..

I'd be very hesitant to steam a wool hat.

I had a nutria felt hat that had a very floppy pinch caused by me grabbing it too often and too roughly. I sprayed it with isopropyl alcohol, shaped it, and let it dry. It has firmed up nicely. I'm not sure how long it will last but so far so good.

Greg

Don't steam wool hats, think wool sweater & hot water = don't mix. Spray wool hat with room temp distilled water for reshaping.

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
Don't steam wool hats, think wool sweater & hot water = don't mix. Spray wool hat with room temp distilled water for reshaping.

thanks for the tip! this is a LEARNING process isn't it? when you are used to wearing Kangols and Newsboy/pub caps it's a different world!

no steam , just wet outside reshape and let slow dry to shape, indoors

vintage68

Practically Family
thanks for the tip! this is a LEARNING process isn't it? when you are used to wearing Kangols and Newsboy/pub caps it's a different world!

The hobby of hats and hat wearing is like any other, there's a learning curve. The temptation is always to dip one's toe in the water, but that quickly gives way to jumping in at the deep end. You won't be disappointed with Art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo