Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last Man Standing hat?

Corey

New in Town
Caught "Last Man Standing" on cable last night. Much to my surprise, my wife (who usually looks askance at my vintage leanings) was watching it with me and said she thought I would look good in a hat like the one Bruce Willis wore in the film.

last2.jpg

bruce_willis_dernier_3.jpg

top.jpg

LMSbwgun.jpg

So, can anyone help me find a decent copy of this hat, preferably one that doesn't require a lot of modification (i.e. reblocking) to make it look right? I looked through a couple of old threads on this topic ... apparently there was some confusion about the origin of this hat, but everyone seemed to agree it was a vintage hat. I'm looking for something made a little more recently. Any suggestions?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've got a '30s vintage Knox that's almost N.O.S. that looks just like that.

suit.jpg

There's evidence of the brim being cut down...it's possible this hat had a wider brim and it was cut down in the '50s or '60s when narrow brims became in vogue.

Corey

New in Town
I know almost nothing about fedoras ...

Quite the shocker considering the name of the site, but I originally came for the WWII stuff and now find myself dipping into other unknown areas.

Anyway, if no one can suggest a good fascimile of this hat, I would be interested in any informed opinions regarding its specifications. For example, what type of crown is that? To my untrained eye, it looks like what I see some websites calling a "c crown," but I can't be sure. Also, is there a name for that style of brim? Snap brim? Stingy brim? I figure if I can answer these questions, that will at least help me narrow my search. Thanks!

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Well, to me...

It's a center bash rather than a "c." The snap brim looks slightly bigger than 2", maybe 2 1/8", possibly 2 1/4" with a raw edge. It's not a stingy brim, which are generally less than 2". The crown might be 5 1/4" at the front, with little, if any, taper. It's a 2 3/8" or 2 1/2" ribbon, possibly stitched at the top as well as bottom (you can see what looks like a stitch pucker in the 2nd pix). My guesstimates may be off a bit, based on assuming Willis has a average-size gourd.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Snrbfshn said:
It's a center bash rather than a "c." The snap brim looks slightly bigger than 2", maybe 2 1/8", possibly 2 1/4" with a raw edge. It's not a stingy brim, which are generally less than 2". The crown might be 5 1/4" at the front, with little, if any, taper. It's a 2 3/8" or 2 1/2" ribbon, possibly stitched at the top as well as bottom (you can see what looks like a stitch pucker in the 2nd pix). My guesstimates may be off a bit, based on assuming Willis has a average-size gourd.
I pretty much agree with you except that I think there is a bit of taper in the block of this hat. I think you are dead on in your estimates of crown height and brim length. Also, I agree that there is a stitch mark on the ribbon and that the ribbon is substantial. It looks, to my eye, that the felt is rather thin and without much styling of the crown.

Here is a picture of my Gray Adventurebilt Hat styled not with a Raiders block, but one with a slight bit of taper for the look of the hat in The Last Crusade. It has a more generous brim, but with a thicker ribbon and some tweaking of crown and brim, it could be made into a "Last Man Standing" hat.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Last Man Standing..

Strangely, I've 'just' posted this one in the "waist coat" thread. But, as I'm wearing what I call my "LMS" hat (vintage made by Henry the Hatter), thought I'd post it here. Got it off Ebay and it's in 'new' condition, never worn, I had to shape it myself. It's a size 7 (US), whereas I tend to wear a 7 1/8, so it can be marginally tight. But a cracking hat that Bruce would be proud of.
HenrytheHatter002.jpg

Corey

New in Town
Thanks so much!

Guys, thanks for all the input. I think a custom from Adventurebilt is probably the easiest way to go here if I want something I'll really be happy with. Besides, I've been debating getting an Indy hat too, so this way I can kill two birds with one stone.

PADDY said:
Strangely, I've 'just' posted this one in the "waist coat" thread. But, as I'm wearing what I call my "LMS" hat (vintage made by Henry the Hatter), thought I'd post it here. Got it off Ebay and it's in 'new' condition, never worn, I had to shape it myself. It's a size 7 (US), whereas I tend to wear a 7 1/8, so it can be marginally tight. But a cracking hat that Bruce would be proud of.

Paddy, that is a NICE hat, and your photo of it in the waist coat thread is actually what gave me the idea of asking this question in the Lounge in the first place. Thanks!

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
The hat Mr. Willis is wearing...

Looks like a run of the mill, beat up Dobbs or Stetson. Nothing spectacular or special in any way. I'm sure one could be had from Ebay...actually I saw some yesterday that were going for a fair price. Or, just buy a new hat, rumple it up a little, and voila... here's your hat, what's your hurry! Probably just a costume extra hat that was laying around that he liked for some reason. I got five just like it in the bottom of my closet.

Biltmore Bob said:
Looks like a run of the mill, beat up Dobbs or Stetson. Nothing spectacular or special in any way. I'm sure one could be had from Ebay...actually I saw some yesterday that were going for a fair price. Or, just buy a new hat, rumple it up a little, and voila... here's your hat, what's your hurry! Probably just a costume extra hat that was laying around that he liked for some reason. I got five just like it in the bottom of my closet.

I am spending too much time CORRECTING assumptions . I made the hats for LAST MAN STANDING . Mr willis is very particular (along with Dan Moore the costume designer) about his hats. please check my site for my credits.
Dave Brown

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
davebrownhats said:
I am spending too much time CORRECTING assumptions . I made the hats for LAST MAN STANDING . Mr willis is very particular (along with Dan Moore the costume designer) about his hats. please check my site for my credits.
Dave Brown

Got a link?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
What I love about...

Art, Steve and Ken is their humility and grace.

Willis may be peticular 'bout his hats, but you couldn't tell it by his choices. He does not look good in his headware selections. Sorry.

Hollywood can afford to spend untold dollars for hats that, as far as I know, start life with the same felt body that any of the small guys can get for $8 to $20. I know, I know, it's all about fit and finish. Ok, but I can buy a Stetson from Miller for $80 and it will fit like custom in three days. Oh, that's right it's the felt. Maybe so, but I'm not ready to buy that dog yet either. Maybe modern production hats are not what they used to be or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, but I can't see spending more than $150 for a hat that will wear and look just like a Stetson that cost $80. Oh, but it'll taper, it won't hold water, it'll fade, blah blah blah...Whatever, if you treat anything bad enough it'll fall the freak apart.

Go to the Baron's site and he woud have you believe he made all the hats for every movie and TV show that ever had a hat in it. So who is to be believed? For all I know Dave Brown made all the hats he claims to have made. But there seems to be alot of competition for credit in Hollywood...

"thou dost protest too much" comes to mind. But me, what do I know?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Gotta...

...disagree with you for once Bob.

I think Bruce Willis has a classic Comic Book Gangster, Thug, Mug look- check his profile(face), he has that 'nose and jaw'. I think the Movie hat looks the part on him.
BUT the hat in 'The Whole Nine Yards' sure didn't do him justice.

:hamburger versus :cool2:

I realise you're getting the name 'round here as being somewhat of an existentialist Bob but the 'shelf hat/custom hat' thing is like wine: a $5 bottle- hmmm... a $50 bottle HMMM..!!!- you either appreciate it on grounds of taste, ?ɬ¶sthetics and quality or you don't see the point- peoples' pallettes become hungry for something 'better'- better or not? well that's in the mouth/in the eye/on the head of the beholder. They both get you drunk-

Horses for Courses...

Sure if you want a head cover get a hat- if you like fine quality, get a custom job.

You don't drink- right?
:cheers1:

B
T

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
OK, BT...

I looked up 'existentialist', and I still don't know what it means. And, how did you get your a and e to squish together for 'aesthetics'. Man, that was neat.

I like Willis. But what was that other movie that he was in where he wore a Porkpie Hat. He was some kind of theif or Catburglar or something, now there was a hat.

Brim2Fed

New in Town
Last Man Standing hats

Has anyone seen the Bruce Willis picture Last Man Standing? Its a fistful of dollars/yojimbo remake set in the 1930's. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about who supplied the hats, especially Bruce's fedora(heck his whole costume), I really thought it looked good, its dimensions would go really well with my face shape/build

Anyone? I'd also like to say hello since I'm new here, and I hope to learn alot!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Heya Brim2Fed...

Brim2Fed said:
Has anyone seen the Bruce Willis picture Last Man Standing? Its a fistful of dollars/yojimbo remake set in the 1930's. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about who supplied the hats, especially Bruce's fedora(heck his whole costume), I really thought it looked good, its dimensions would go really well with my face shape/build

Anyone? I'd also like to say hello since I'm new here, and I hope to learn alot!
... and welcome aboard from another Volunteer...there is a Hollywood hatter named Baron who seems to be involved in costuming many feature films: BARON HATS
....also see here:LMS Hat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21