Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last Man Standing hat?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Welcome from another newbie!

I know you're no where near L.A. or Burbank, but in a store that sells used wardrobe from movies and TV, It's A Wrap, they have the original LMS hat on display. Now, if you're really, really, REALLY desperate, I can pop over there and take a photo or two. Just let me know.

Brim2Fed

New in Town
Thanks a bundle fellas, for the thread link and the website. Really appreciate it.
And no, Mr. Lucky, theres really no need!
But its a fine lookin hat don't you think( although I'm not crazy about the taper)? I have some experience with bashing and I trimmed down a brim once. Do you think i could just purchase a Federation ( already have one in an Indy LC-type bash!), and just go from there? Purchasing vintage as you guys call it always seems like a gamble.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Yet Another Last Man Standing Hat Thread

Okay, so today I was over at It's A Wrap in Burbank. This is the store that buys out wardrobe stock for the studios and finished productions. On the wall, next to Ah'nold's suit from something-or-other is a display case with Bruce Willis' hat from Last Man Standing. I had seen it a number of times, but I had never really LOOKED at it before. But today I did, and I'm still not sure that what I saw is actually correct, but here it goes -

It appeared to me, and to the sales girl that I dragged into it, that fedora it self, was oddly shaped; specifically that the front of the brim was a smidge (1/8-1/4) wider than the rest of the brim. An atribute that I believe would give it that down-over-the-eyes stylization that appears in the film.

Now, a few...caveats: First, the hat was hanging on the wall a good ten feet up, so the view might be skewed. Secondly, it was in a plastic case, so that could have also changed the perspective.

But, really, it looked to have been trimmed that way - even ALL THE WAY AROUND, execpt the front fourth. Has anybody ever heard of this, or seen it done?

Lastly, it looked really cool.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Maybe the store doesn't let one take photos. Lots of stores are like that :(

Also, the hat's lucite box would probably show the flash from the picture. I've been to that store: it's not all that well lighted.

Actually, it's a little of both - I was thinking of going back with a camera, but I don't know how much good it would do. The lighting is crappy flourescent and Marc is right, the lucite box would reflect the flash.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Was it a real honest to goodness vintage fedora purchased for the movie, or was it made to order?
( I bet it costs a bundle, either way)
Not sure. But I haven't seen any of the better known hatters claim it as their own. Not even Baron's!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Well, I was wrong. Musta' been an optical illusion. Here is the reply I received this morning -

Hello:

I made over 20 of those hats for the movie, all identical.

The brim was not dimensionally cut. I still make them for bruce willis fans the cost is $340.00 u.s.d. plus $15,00 U.s.d. for shipping in the united states.

I have one that is signed by mr willis on the brim.

Respectfully

Dave brown

Mr E Train

One Too Many
It's basically just a high-crowned fedora with very little taper and a stingy brim. The brim looks raw edged, so it may have been a wider brimmed hat that was cut down. You could make something very similar by taking a relatively high and full-crowned Indiana Jones style hat such as an Akubra Federation IV and cutting the brim down to about 1 7/8" or so, which looks to be around the brim size of that hat. Akubra's moonstone color would be pretty close to the color of the hat in the movie, which you can't tell from that B&W picture, but I looked up some color ones online.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
I saw the film for about the third time the other day and noticed again how low Willis wears his hat. He does look good in it though and how a man wears his hat is his business I suppose.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Actually, I had considered purchasing a high crown fedora such as a Fed and then trimming the brim. I would then add a brim treatment to the raw edge.

Thanks for the suggestion.

And, yes, Willis does wear the hat low ala Kid Rock. He did the same thing in another film, The Whole Nine Yards.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I've seen the actual hat - it's on display at clothing store in Burbank, It's A Wrap (they resell movie/TV wardrobe items) and it is pretty much as you describe. It was made especially for the film by Dave Brown in Rochester. It's a damn cool lid!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24