Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Last Man Standing hat?

vintage68

Practically Family
BTW, you'll find we all have our favorite "go to" hatters here, but for the majority of us we're not saying one is better than the other, just that for whatever reason we "click" with them and recommend their services and quality. You'l find some amazing craftsmen here.

fedoracentric

Banned
Right. For me the Willis hat is a no go. But that doesn't mean I am saying the hat is "bad" for everyone. It's just bad for me. I also never do porkpies and I look bad in Homburgs and bowlers, too. But I am just commenting on what style suits me, not what is a "good hat" in general.

vintage68

Practically Family
Depends on the angle. I think this angle makes it looks fine...

600px-LMSColtM1911A1-28.jpg

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
AGAIN, like I said earlier, I'm very green to all things felt. I wonder if the height of the crown, it does seem a tad taller than most, contributes to the illusion that the brim is short? Just about everything I have been able to gather on this hat indicates a 2 1/4" brim.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This hat is a typical early 1930's hat. Trust me, I have owned quite a few originals. The brims were very commonly 2 - 2 1/4 inches wide. The crowns were between 5 5/8 - 6 inches open. The brim looks super short because the tall crown makes it look that way. Same reason that a wider brim makes a crown look shorter. That hat in the movie looks like a 2 1/8 inch brim to me. It looks like a flatter profiled 5 5/8 - 5 3/4 inch open crown.

Here's some original early 30's hats that I have owned/sold

1930's Gordon (5 5/8 inch open crown, 2 1/8 inch brim)

1930's Mallory Gold Medal (5 1/2 inch open crown, 2 inch brim)

1930's Stetson Standard Quality (5 5/8 inch open crown, 2 1/4 inch brim)

1930's Biltmore The York (5 3/4 inch open crown, 2 1/8 inch brim)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

In this picture you can really tell some things about the crown. Its a center dent crease with a tight pinch in front (indy style) and very front facing dents.

This picture gives a perfect view of the brim. Its a high cupped back with a flatter front. This was a very common flange shape in the 30's. This brim is NO WIDER than 2 1/8 inches. And now that I have a better side view of the crown, its probably closer to 5 1/2 inches open.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Throw a 1/2 on there and sweet city, 2 3/4 is ideal for a fedora, for me anyway and i like a 3 1/8 for a country fedora-- but definitely the higher crown

That's perfectly fine, but what identifies an early 30's hat and what sets it apart from lets say almost every hat made in the 40's and early 50's is the fact that it has a very short brim and tall crown. Tall crowns and wide 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inch brim can be found in the 20's, late 30's, 40's, and 50's.

That's perfectly fine, but what identifies an early 30's hat and what sets it apart from lets say almost every hat made in the 40's and early 50's is the fact that it has a very short brim and tall crown. Tall crowns and wide 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inch brim can be found in the 20's, late 30's, 40's, and 50's.
i see , early 30's, maybe it was a thing right after prohibition, this movie must have been toward the end of it

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Depends on the angle. I think this angle makes it looks fine...

View attachment 20180

That picture shows a looser pinch. Except for the shorter '30s style brim width the hat in that picture looks similar to my hat, at least in that dusty looking version of it....(this started out as a nutria Western and was converted by John Galt).

Nutria_Felt_03.jpg

nutria_2_A.jpg

Attachments

• Nutria_Felt_03.jpg
    Nutria_Felt_03.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
I must admit to be drawn to 40's diamond creased hats. The typical 'noir' look, but Joshbru those are some lovely hats. Oh dear I may have to get one like that as well now!

From memory so I may be way off, but weren't there some hats with tall crowns and short brims in the film 'Scar face' with Paul Muni.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo