Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late 30's early 40's wedding photos

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Hi, does anyone have any old wedding photo's? I am trying to get inspiration for my bridal bouquet and bridesmaid dresses. Thanks...

Etienne

A-List Customer
Here is one of my parents, from 1945:
gma-wedding.gif

<center>

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
PortHalcyon.com had an amazing series on vintage weddings and one of the sections was on vintage flowers.

Here's the link: http://www.porthalcyon.com/features/...dding004.shtml

There are some nice pictures there that are just stunning.

Actually the entire series on vintage weddings was incredible. Well written and full of great tips for anyone planning a wedding.

Good luck!

That's the series I wrote :)

My favorite style for maids' bouquets:
30sbouquets.jpg

Cuffed bouquets were a popular look for this era. You can substitute lemon leaves, ivy, or ferns for the fabric as well.

The shower bouquet began to fall out of favor in the 1940s (in favor of the nosegay, which complemented the princess gowns of the 1950s), but the "lover's knots" tied in the streamers have a romantic story behind them. The catcher of the bouquet was entitled to untie a lovers’ knot and the wish she made was said to come true. :)
30s40swed.jpg

40sweddingparty.jpg

Styles were often loose and greenery was used liberally.
47b3d900b3127cce9bdb17df1af200000016108AatmbRq2ctP

The most popular flowers for weddings in the 1930s-40s include roses, carnations, lily of the valley, orchids, and ivy; wild flowers were a favorite oduring WWII (due to weddings being rushed). Colors of choice include whites, creams, and pastels--more brightly colored bouquets became popular in the late 1950s.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
For bridesmaid color palettes:

The 1930s palette shifted to brighter colors; once again combined with muted, grayed shades—think richer pinks and purples, or even soft chartreuse.
A 1940s bride would have picked a combination of rich colors and pastels; perhaps a deep blue, green, or bright rose would have struck her fancy. Aqua and fuchsia, or gold and rust, are both stunning 40s combinations.

Rainbow weddings, where each maid wore a different color, were also popular.

Style wise, bridesmaids wore, feminine, frilly gowns with puffed sleves, sweetheart necklines (very popular during this time), and decorations such as bows or ruffles. They were generally floor length, unless the wedding was informal. Fabrics depended on the time of year, and included chiffons, net, satin, crepe, brocade/jacquard, velvet, plisse, pique, and so forth, in both solids and patterns. Light, airy fabrics were reserved for spring and summer; heavier, richer fabrics for fall and winter.
1655.jpg

9906color.jpg

9906colorb.jpg

4517.jpg

Imagine this floor length, with the empire bodice in one fabric and the skirt in another:
darla-06-05.jpg

f3680.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart