Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest find: Used Herbert Johnson Poet

IndyBlues

New in Town
Hey folks, thought I'd share my latest aquisition, A 2K HJ Poet, Indy style. It is in dire need of a reblock, but all in all it's in great shape. The felt is very thick on this, sort of like an Akubra Fed, and very stiff as well. I'm sending it to Optimo for a overhaul, and it got me wondering;
How often does a hat need to be reblocked with regular wear, and how many reblocks can a hat of this make handle??
Anyway, on to the pics.

http://public.fotki.com/IndyBlues612/herbert_johnson/

If it is in good shape and the felt is not moth chewed then it can take as many blocks and cleanings as necessary to keep it looking fresh. Dense felts can take this longer, in my experience.
I doubt you will have to get it cleaned more than once every six months or so unless you plan on having Indy type adventures while wearing it. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Indy , my regular customers for reblocking usually have a C&B done once a year. On lighter colored hats it can be more often for obvoius reasons but your HJ should fit into the yearly category.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I love the 1940s hand-bashed look, so whenever one of my hats need cleaning (my son once managed to dump coleslaw on my Barbisio) I have them reblock it with an open crown, and then put in a hand bash.

P.S.: "Coleslaw on my Barbisio" is not a Pedro Amoldovar movie.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
"Coleslaw on my Barbisio" is not a Pedro Amoldovar movie

Hmmm, maybe you can do something with this MM. A new S&M routine?? A new Janet Jackson tune?? A line from Indy IV? Geeze, thats TOO good to NOT use somewhere!!
:D

I know...a new hat design!!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
OR, you can do like some of us and aquire so many hats that by the time you rotate through wearing all of them, they all still look good. I've got it where I only have to wear each hat about 2 weeks out of the year. Andykev and a few others probably only have to wear theirs a few days out of the year. So buying lots of fedoras and then by only wearing each one for a week actually saves you money in the long run by keeping your cleaning and reblocking services down. Sounds logical to me anyway.

regards fedoralover

Originally posted by fedoralover
OR, you can do like some of us and aquire so many hats that by the time you rotate through wearing all of them, they all still look good.

I like it! My collection encompasses about 20 now and I do wear a different one every day.
Can I use your argument on my wife when I keep buying more hats and she says "do you have enough yet?" LOL LOL Perhaps I will try it and let you know how it turns out. One should be arriving tomorrow. LOL
Deb, I will have enough when I can save money on cleaning by wearing each one just one day a year. LOL Wait, I think that is her coming now....got to go.....saving argument...sending message.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR