Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laura

Feraud

Bartender
Looking for a film to watch? Try Laura.
Gene Tierney plays Laura, the beautiful young ad executive who is brutally murdered by a shotgun blast to the face. Dana Andrews is the detective put on the case to find the murderer. Circumstances lead to multiple suspects as
Detective MacPherson seeks the motive and murderer.

Clifton Webb plays Waldo Lydecker. Words cannot describe Laura's tutor and male confidante. Waldo is a well dressed, sharp tounged writer who uses his biting wit to steal every scene he is in! When in disapproval of Laura's suitors he will stop at nothing to deter the romance.

Laura's playboy boyfriend/husband-to-be Shelby Carpenter is played by Vincent Price. His behavior leaves enough room to draw police attention to his actions.

While trying to untangle this mess, Detective MacPherson finds himself falling in love with the beautiful, dead woman.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I think it is a decent film that could have been a great movie. The guy they cast in the lead is weak...but does ok because of a wonderful cast built around him. Now if they had cast Alan Ladd......

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Hmm.. this looks like a very promising film, I've never heard of it. I really need to check out some of these golden era movies, many of them sound so interesting! Like this one!

topcat

Familiar Face
Oh, this is a basic to your film noir wardrobe. A standard.
One of the most famous of themes as well, in film noir and out.

I collect as many versions of "Laura" as i can find,whether vocal or
instrumental.

THIS film helps define film noir. Film noir buff? Not if you haven't seen Laura.

On a side note the FOX MOVIE CHANNEL last year did a special
airing of these locked away in the vault, one hour condensed
versions of certain films, Laura being one of them starring
Robert Stack as the detective. Wasn't as good but interesting
seeing same story squeezed into one hour format.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i'd heard that this was a classic noir, but i must say i was sorely disappointed. i found it too wordy. where's the outbursts of action ? the gunplay ? not particularly stark and shadowy in its lighting either.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
I think it was directed by Hitchcock but Zanuck as the producer interfered so much Hitchcock gave up. So what you see is 2 styles of movies making with a lot of people not getting to do it they way they wanted to do it.

Zanuck wanted a closing scene of the house and the smoke coming out of the chimmeny forming the letter L for Laura, and Hitchcock was disgusted with Zanuck.

That was Rebecca which was directed by Alfred Hitchcock. But it wasn't Daryl Zanuck, but David O. Selznick who gave Hitchcock all the problems. It was Hitchcock's first film in America and he nearly quit but stuck it out and overruled Selznick on the smoke curling up to form an "R."

Laura was produced and directed by Otto Preminger.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
To quote a good friend of mine, "There's no such thing as too much coffee." ;)

Well, have a look at this font:
toomuchcoffee.gif

(downloadable here)

Haversack

One Too Many
Although I like to think of myself as a proponent for Golden Age movies, I have to admit that I have never seen _Laura_. I can only plead that my youth was warped by a large collection of 78s featuring Spike Jones and his City Slickers. Similarly, I am no longer able to hear "Cocktails For Two" performed straight anymore.

Haversack

The Captain

One of the Regulars
herringbonekid said:
i'd heard that this was a classic noir, but i must say i was sorely disappointed. i found it too wordy. where's the outbursts of action ? the gunplay ? not particularly stark and shadowy in its lighting either.

"Kid", your comment on LAURA tells me you are as young as your user name implies. The truly memorabe NOIR films are not marked by excessive "action" or "gunplay" scenes. Todays' movie audiences, brought up on a diet of video game quick-cuts, "action", and a noticable lack of plot developement, will undoubtably lose interest in a film that takes the time to really flesh-out the characters. "Wordy" is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.
Also, these films were produced in an era that was not too far removed from the days of the silent film. The producers - many of them from that era - were still caught up in the "new" technology. The saying, "One picture is worth a thousand words", didn't apply. Give LAURA another chance. You and the film deserve it. :fedora:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Captain, believe me, i am not one of the action-hungry quick-cut MTV generation viewers you describe (i'm not so young either)... far from it (many of my favourite films are considered arty, slow and difficult). perhaps, i shouldn't have mentioned gunplay and action. what i was trying to get at was the lack of memorable visuals in the film. i love noirs like 'sunset boulevard' and 'touch of evil' which are full of atmospheric locations and memorable set pieces. i felt 'laura' was too restricted by its interior-set locations, none of which were particularly stylised in the noir tradition. i guess it just didn't do it for me. but don't worry i will definately watch it again, saying as i bought the DVD (on the strength of its reputation).

Feraud

Bartender
Just some random thoughts..

Classic films should be viewed for an appreciation for what the film presents on its own merits. We should not judge a film based on our present day attitudes and manners. I am not saying anyone here is doing that! :)

When watching films I definitely see characters, plots, or storyline construction that remind me of other films. Instead of saying, "oh I have seen this before" I enjoy the fact that I am seeing what inspired the directing, acting and storylines of today.

Some classic films are dated. The action, humor, or romance does not always appeal to modern tastes. I find more times than not, the true classics are as viewable today as they were 60-70 years ago.

In watching Crossfire last night I could not help notice how contemporary that 59 year old movie is! I think it's story of murder and racism will unfortunately never grow old.

I try to always view a movie more than one time. I believe one viewing is not enough (for me anyway [huh] ) to absorb and appreciate the dialogue, directing, editing, music, etc. that goes into a film.

Radioflyer

New in Town
Laura: one of the greatest ever! My mom loved that movie and passed the passion for Laura along to me.

Want a great old 'scary' film? Search for The Uninvited...excellent!

rf

Radioflyer

New in Town
Wow! Here's we're talking about the movie Laura and lo and behold...I find it on DVD at Target this evening...bought that puppy and will watch it here before bedtime.

It's my understanding that both Laura and The Uninvited were filmed in '44.

regards
rf

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think Laura is a great Noir classic

I think that Laura is one of the great film noir 's of the 40's. Filmed and directed ably, the acting is supurb. Chifton Web is at this best in a role that the used in many if not all of his screen performances. Dana Andrews is often underrated, but he is a fine actor, and fits the role perfectly. I don't think I would change the casting. Gene Tierney, what more beauty can you have in that lovely lady?
Oh and don't forget the supporting cast, Vincent Price......nice change from his horror cast.

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
I really enjoy this movie, particularly the first fifteen minutes up until the flashbacks. Lydecker's dialogue is particularly priceless, Dana Andrews always sends me swooning, Gene Tierney is gorgeous, and Vincent Price is perfect. The last half of the movie perpetually disappoints me, but that doesn't stop me from watching this film over and over anyway. For Preminger/Andrews collaborations, I prefer both "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and the "Fallen Angel" to "Laura," but then, I admit I've got a thing for flawed "heroes" and redemption stories.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
After seeing WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, I immediately rented every Gene Tierney movie I could find, because, well, she's GORGEOUS.

NIGHT AND THE CITY was a good movie, but LAURA definitely puts the most focus on her and is a good movie. I haven't seen any of her lesser films.

However, as far as it goes, LAURA is still far down on my list for favorite noirs. I don't know whether it is my lack of appreciation for Otto Preminger or Dana Andrews (also the cast of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, which I liked more). It is a good movie, but in my eyes, also a little overrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner